No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Golden Eagles #6488441
03/12/19 02:44 AM
03/12/19 02:44 AM
east TN, USA
harleydparts Offline OP
trapper
harleydparts  Offline OP
trapper

east TN, USA
Anybody have any pictures or stories of Golden Eagles? I've only seen them twice in 36 years of traveling the country. Once in Montana on a deer carcass with 3 Bald Eagles around it, I was blown away just how much bigger a Golden is than a Bald Eagle. Once in Oregon on the Columbia River, that one was fighting with 2 bald eagles, watched it flip upside down, kinda do a backwards air brake thing and grab one, flipped back over, dropped it and I watch the bald eagle flutter and flap into the river. The other bald eagle got real aggressive and the golden eagle seemed to increase its efforts to run from it! I thought they both had it wrong.

Not as bad as I could be, not as good as I should be.
Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488491
03/12/19 06:59 AM
03/12/19 06:59 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I saw one a couple of months ago on a deer carcass. I pulled in to a turn around on one of the farms I trap. Somebody had dumped a partially butchered deer. It was huge! I had plenty off time to take a pic with my cell phone as it flew about 150 yards to a tree line but was so amazed I forgot all about it.

I had seen a bald eagle on a different deer carcass ten miles away earlier that morning. A bald eagle and a golden eagle in one day, I should have played the lottery.

The golden eagle was only the third or fourth I've ever seen around here.

Eh...wot?

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488514
03/12/19 07:51 AM
03/12/19 07:51 AM
Iowa
D
DGorman Offline
trapper
DGorman  Offline
trapper
D

Iowa
We get a few in the winter months. I think they come down from Wisconsin. I usually catch a few on my carcass cams. This is probably my best size comparison pic.

[Linked Image]

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488517
03/12/19 07:58 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
We have them. A couple winters ago I had a deer carcass out front on the ice and in short order dead of winter there were a dozen bald eagles on it. Two of us were watching the bait and after a couple hours those eagles suddenly parted off it and a golden landed and hopped on into that bait like he owned it. All others stood to the side, none tried to eat.

Most interesting in eastern Montana I was shooting on a spread and the ranchers son came to pick me up after a morning walk. We were coming along a ridge and saw 4 antelope on a flat down below us. They took off but not because of us, we thought coyote and got out and watched as a golden came down and hit the last one. He flapped up and soon a second swooped down and hit the same goat. That one pulled up and the other hit again. I saw the goat stumble after a few hits then down and I'm not sure but after 8 whacks or so that antelope stayed down with an eagle on it then the other joined. The ranchers son said that wasn't uncommon bit I sure wish I had a video of that antelopes death. Wicked birds.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488518
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by harleydparts
Anybody have any pictures or stories of Golden Eagles? I've only seen them twice in 36 years of traveling the country. Once in Montana on a deer carcass with 3 Bald Eagles around it, I was blown away just how much bigger a Golden is than a Bald Eagle. Once in Oregon on the Columbia River, that one was fighting with 2 bald eagles, watched it flip upside down, kinda do a backwards air brake thing and grab one, flipped back over, dropped it and I watch the bald eagle flutter and flap into the river. The other bald eagle got real aggressive and the golden eagle seemed to increase its efforts to run from it! I thought they both had it wrong.

I see them almost daily. As far as size goes actually the bald eagle is a little bit larger then the golden. The air show you descripted resembles their mating ritual. Not sure you ever seen the golden mating ritual but it is an amazing thing to watch. I have seen it about 4 times and is a priceless air show. On a carcass both will feed at the same time but the golden always seems to me to have more control and will be more aggressive from my observations. Two year ago in the late spring I watched a nest they had along a creek where absolutely nothing could get to that nest but them. It was in a very unique place. I don't have any pictures but I will take a look today to see if I can see if a pair is around that old nest area.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488530
03/12/19 08:29 AM
03/12/19 08:29 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
We had one on the farm here in Ohio a couple winters ago. I didn't realize what it was at first. Both it and a bald eagle were trying to eat a coon carcass, I couldn't understand what would be so much bigger than the bald eagle.

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: M.Magis] #6488540
03/12/19 08:46 AM
03/12/19 08:46 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by M.Magis
We had one on the farm here in Ohio a couple winters ago. I didn't realize what it was at first. Both it and a bald eagle were trying to eat a coon carcass, I couldn't understand what would be so much bigger than the bald eagle.

If you research both birds the bald is actually a bigger bird, is what they say. They should of laid their egg's right about now.

Last edited by snowy; 03/12/19 08:50 AM.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488546
03/12/19 08:53 AM
03/12/19 08:53 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
They may say that, but the one on my bait pile was far and away bigger than any in the gathering of Eagles on my bait. All were mature balds but that golden was significantly bigger. On the open flat that day I had no size comparison but they sure dwarfed the antelope doe, she at maybe 60-70 pounds.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488549
03/12/19 08:54 AM
03/12/19 08:54 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
We see goldens here every winter in a couple of the places I trap. They sure look bigger to me than the balds. I know this when the golden hits the carcass pile the balds shag butt. I had never seen one here until a few winters ago but now see them every year.

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488559
03/12/19 09:05 AM
03/12/19 09:05 AM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

About the same size but the bald eagle could fly in and the golden had to land on a trail and walk in.

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488570
03/12/19 09:27 AM
03/12/19 09:27 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Saskfly ^ Yep, the experts have the bald as larger (do the research) and I'm with you very little difference in size as long as you compare age to age of birds and sex. Lol I have seen many with both on carcasses and really would have to look to see any different in size, but what ever.

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488573
03/12/19 09:28 AM
03/12/19 09:28 AM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Had one take a close look at my 35 lb. springer spaniel while pheasant hunting. Turned and did a low flyby while we worked an old fence line.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488589
03/12/19 09:43 AM
03/12/19 09:43 AM
North Cass Co. Minnesota
DiggerDale Offline
trapper
DiggerDale  Offline
trapper

North Cass Co. Minnesota
I picked up a sickly one in Wyo. once that couldn't fly. Tied it to a cement block in my apartment and fed it mule deer burger. Came to the conclusion it was blind in one eye but after about 4 days it started dragging that block around and making a mess. Called the Game & Fish to see if they would rehome it and and the bunnyhugging gal on the other end thought I was some kind of criminal. I could have traded feathers to the Navajo for turquoise and silver but just didn't have the heart to wring it's neck. I figured out where the state biologist lived and let the bird out in his driveway. I still wonder what ever became of that eagle.....

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488597
03/12/19 09:59 AM
03/12/19 09:59 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Wish I had never seen one! They are a pain in the hind end trapping in the west. Can't count the number of fox coyote and cats I've had eaten out of snares! Had one again this year again, dang pukin buzzard is all they are....with lots of special rights!

Lot of people mis identify immature balds with goldens, but a mature in either species are easy! The ranchers in Wy called them blackbirds!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488602
03/12/19 10:06 AM
03/12/19 10:06 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
see them ever day and had them eat plenty of live fox in traps they get that figured out best pull that trap.

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: snowy] #6488608
03/12/19 10:08 AM
03/12/19 10:08 AM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
Originally Posted by snowy

If you research both birds the bald is actually a bigger bird, is what they say. They should of laid their egg's right about now.

I don't know, this was the only one I've ever seen. But I've seen a lot of bald eagles and they're a big bird. But the golden was considerable bigger.

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488613
03/12/19 10:17 AM
03/12/19 10:17 AM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
An immature blade eagle and golden eagle look very similar.
We have both here along the mitey Susky and Juniata rivers.
The balds are more in number but the goldens are rising in numbers as well

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488739
03/12/19 12:31 PM
03/12/19 12:31 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by snowy

I don't know, this was the only one I've ever seen. But I've seen a lot of bald eagles and they're a big bird. But the golden was considerable bigger.

I’ve done the research and it is inconclusive. Some sites say the golden eagle is the largest bird of prey in North America. Other sites say the bald eagle is bigger. Still other sites say they are virtually the same.

The golden eagle I saw a couple of months ago on the deer carcass was considerably bigger than any bald eagle I’ve ever seen and they ( bald eagles) are not uncommon around here.

Here are a couple of pictures of an immature bald eagle I saw last week. He was hopping up-and-down and clawing at the ice. There must’ve been something frozen in the ice that he was trying to get.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Eh...wot?

Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488762
03/12/19 01:08 PM
03/12/19 01:08 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Lugnut on some lakes here the eagles scrape for minnows icefisherman toss out. As do coyotes.

Some books say lynx are larger than bobs. Books say bobs range up to 40 pounds, here and other places they go well over 40. Experts are wonderful but there are always exceptions in nature, and many variables come into play.

Osky

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Golden Eagles [Re: harleydparts] #6488779
03/12/19 01:37 PM
03/12/19 01:37 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
We have a lot of both here. Most amazing video I've ever seen was a golden landing on a fawn's head. The bird mantels until the fawn stopped kicking, then it straightened up picked out its flight plan (downhill) and flew off with the fawn swinging from it's talons. It was definitely gaining altitude when it flew out of sight. Don't remember the program, probably Nat Geo. The narrator said it was the only film footage of its kind. I've always believed golden eagles were the larger of the two. Any yeah they will definitely shred an animal that is caught, I've lost a few that way.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread