Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Build cabins [Re: Gulo] #6488695
03/12/19 11:41 AM
03/12/19 11:41 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Gulo
I like it Posco. I've been using 8" spikes and need to pre-drill anyway. Why not go to hardwood dowels? Cheaper, and doesn't dull the blades when you inadvertently cut into one. Probably just as strong. Next cabin, I'll change my evil ways. Thanks.

Jack

Glad you liked the idea, Jack. There won't be a "next cabin" for me, this one has just about killed me. Too much work for one guy. Especially an old guy.

Mark

Re: Build cabins [Re: Gulo] #6488771
03/12/19 01:30 PM
03/12/19 01:30 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Gulo
I like it Posco. I've been using 8" spikes and need to pre-drill anyway. Why not go to hardwood dowels? Cheaper, and doesn't dull the blades when you inadvertently cut into one. Probably just as strong. Next cabin, I'll change my evil ways. Thanks.

Jack

It works even better to drill a round hole and drive a square hardwood peg into it. The corners of the peg cut into the softwood of the log. Much more secure. No 'wiggle' room. Also, use a drift pin to drive the top of the peg BELOW the log surface. That way if/when the logs settle the peg won't push up on the log above.

Mean As Nails
Re: Build cabins [Re: lots of mink] #6488843
03/12/19 03:09 PM
03/12/19 03:09 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Thanks Ken. I think you pounded that into my skull (so to speak) several years ago.

Jack

Re: Build cabins [Re: white17] #6489664
03/13/19 12:21 PM
03/13/19 12:21 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by white17
It works even better to drill a round hole and drive a square hardwood peg into it. The corners of the peg cut into the softwood of the log. Much more secure. No 'wiggle' room. Also, use a drift pin to drive the top of the peg BELOW the log surface. That way if/when the logs settle the peg won't push up on the log above.

If I had heard or thought of the square peg sooner, I might have gone that route. I can't say much if any slop has developed in the round pins I used. I did have the foresight to measure the depth of the holes and cut the pins an inch shorter so they wouldn't hinder the logs settling into place.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman