No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sourkraut recipe? [Re: NE Wildlife] #6491302
03/15/19 12:27 AM
03/15/19 12:27 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Cabbage and salt. Do not add water. Add caraway seeds if you like the added flavor.

Slice the cabbage. Put in a crock in layers with salt, repeat.

A real kraut crock has flat stones to weight the kraut to keep it working. It also has a moat around the lid where you pour cooking oil to seal out bad things, yet allow gas to escape.

I have a German kraut crock that is about 15 gallons. Makes enough to be worthwhile, yet not too much.

Never seal up a kraut brew - might blow up your house! At 40-50 degrees it may take a loooong time to finish.

Re: Sourkraut recipe? [Re: NE Wildlife] #6491538
03/15/19 10:35 AM
03/15/19 10:35 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
I make mine in 5 gallon food grade plastic buckets like other have said. Just salt and cabbage put a plate on top bag of water for weight and a dish towel over that. I can it when it's ready just for ease of handling, can grab a jar and go for a cook out or what ever. My son wanted me to make some with garlic already in the mix. Not having done that before I did a little net reading. Made a small batch in a glass gallon pickle jar same kind I use for lots of other things. Just shredded the cabbage layered it in with salt and crushed garlic. Put a paper coffee filter over top the jar put the lid on loose enough to breath. Set the jar in a bucket to catch any run over. Put it in the basement for 6 weeks bought it out and it was good to go..So that gallon jar works fine for small batch, you could leave it right on kitchen counter if ya wanted to watch it work.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread