No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490239
03/13/19 10:09 PM
03/13/19 10:09 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I got nothing against country buyers,they are an asset to young trappers like pawnee said.When the price of fur drops,sometimes they pay too much for fur.Many went out of business in the past when they paid too much for fur and the prices of all their collections dropped at the auctions.When the bottom fell out of the Otter market a lot of the southern ones went belly up.

Last edited by Boco; 03/13/19 10:10 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490241
03/13/19 10:12 PM
03/13/19 10:12 PM
Saskatchewan
R
rbsask Offline
trapper
rbsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Bryan produces an unreal amount of fur really something to see. I think he buys a lot of carcass but I know he will buy finished too.

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Boco] #6490247
03/13/19 10:16 PM
03/13/19 10:16 PM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline
trapper
S

Wyoming
Originally Posted by Boco
You got it middleman starman-bought cheap by dealers and sent to NAFA.

Nope that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about the middle man middleman. The ones who constantly buy fur that nafa should be protecting for the trapper. Then nafa doesn’t have to store free and they make good money on the per skin fees. For some reason if these speculators do it then it’s “the market”.

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490253
03/13/19 10:21 PM
03/13/19 10:21 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I get along just fine with our local buyer. Sometimes we can agree on a price and sometimes we don't. No hard feelings. He is there to make money. Sometimes I think I can do better and sometimes I'm right.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490268
03/13/19 10:33 PM
03/13/19 10:33 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Phil has made a lot of Trap collectors happy with the stuff he has taken down out of Canada over the years.
How's about "lunch" for a 4 1/2 newhouse was the usual going price.

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490281
03/13/19 10:47 PM
03/13/19 10:47 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
When I visited the auction I recognized a couple “country buyers” rubbing elbows with the China man. Figured it was a good place to stir up business. I would guess the margins at around 25% for those fellas. Not too bad especially if you can turn goods over fAst

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490282
03/13/19 10:48 PM
03/13/19 10:48 PM
Montana
J
John Sullivan Offline
trapper
John Sullivan  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Sask,

The country buyer was a mainstay of the fur industry for a long time in the USA. But most are gone now. The market ups and downs make it just too hard for any business to stay in business for very long.

Most were very small businesses run by the owner. He operated out of his home or had a shop located next to his house. Some had small fur farms on the property. Or sold trapping supplies.

It was a great experience especially for young trappers to visit the country buyer and watch him grade the pelts and make an offer to buy them. It was just cool as (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) if you were a kid with a few pelts. With a lot of fur it got more serious. The buyer would sometimes get on the phone with his buyer in New York or someplace and talk about your collection before making an offer. Some areas had several buyers within an hours drive of home. So you could get several bids and be home by noon. Some buyers would be hot and have an order to fill and exceed your expectations. Others were not competitive at all. The advantage for the trapper was to get paid right away. And visiting the guy was fun and buying supplies and learning a lot about fur handling and maybe even getting some hints on good places to trap.

It is too bad most country buyers are long gone. But the few that are left are an asset to the trapper who lives nearby.

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490286
03/13/19 10:53 PM
03/13/19 10:53 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
So help me understand these phantom country buyers? Is there a domestic market where there is an industry that makes garments that these buyers supply? Why does western Canada not have country buyers in the region of awesome fur?

Much of the fur in the lower 48 is taken by guys and gals that only kill a dozen or less animals a year, in the past often by school age kids, country buyers have been the traditional way for these small producers to market the furs. As someone mentioned often "in the round" or "on the cob" carcass animals, frozen whole or sold the day of catch and just as often green skins "in the grease" that have not been scraped or dried.
Without these small and middle sized collectors all the thousands of people that currently sell the coon caught in the hen house or the five fox trapped after school would not likely sell those furs at all. For example, I have to drive over an hour each way to meet a pickup truck and when gas is ~$30 for the trip, it would not make sense to haul two coyotes or six 'coons and then pay all the fees to sell at auction, when I can sell them 10 minutes from home for a reduced (cost of gas?) amount.
as Wissmiss said many country buyers have arrangements with the major buyers, and several that I've known dealt with the foreign brokers (mostly Greek) directly. Also some small buyers may sell to a larger buyer who then resells to the big buyers or overseas. As Boco said some do ship to the big auctions. And at least one country buyer that I know buys most of his carcass animals with intent to market them in the taxidermy markets, while shipping the remainder to a larger buyer. There are no real "truths" about what the country buyers do with "all" the fur they handle, a buyer might send some fur to each of several outlets, or might have some tanned and sell those in the craft markets or as decorations.

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490289
03/13/19 10:58 PM
03/13/19 10:58 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
That's what its all about-options for the trapper.The more marketing options available the better.Back in the day when I was a kid trapping, there was a local fur buyer in almost every town here,and the Northern stores (North west company) would either buy your fur or take it in on consignment for HBC auction.There was also a travelling fur buyer that would set up in a hotel room and mail you his time and schedule.Then there was the OTA(Now FHA) fur pick up 3 or 4 times a year.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490297
03/13/19 11:03 PM
03/13/19 11:03 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
It is too bad most country buyers are long gone. But the few that are left are an asset to the trapper who lives nearby.

An asset to all the wild fur industry. When all the country buyers are gone our trapping will be gone very soon after. With no local market for those two or three after school or before work catches and the added cost and inconvenience of shipping, plus the uncertainty of auction prices plus the certainty of auction fees; it won't take many years for 90% of the small and intermittent fur producers to quit and the high numbers guys are so few that no one will protest the trapping bans.

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: tjm] #6490310
03/13/19 11:16 PM
03/13/19 11:16 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by tjm

An asset to all the wild fur industry. When all the country buyers are gone our trapping will be gone very soon after. With no local market for those two or three after school or before work catches and the added cost and inconvenience of shipping, plus the uncertainty of auction prices plus the certainty of auction fees; it won't take many years for 90% of the small and intermittent fur producers to quit and the high numbers guys are so few that no one will protest the trapping bans.

Finally, some good perspective.

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490348
03/13/19 11:58 PM
03/13/19 11:58 PM
Washington
C
cat daddy Offline
trapper
cat daddy  Offline
trapper
C

Washington
Originally Posted by Saskayote
I see constantly on here where you, my American friends, take your fur and castor and who knows what else to your local, "country buyers". I can guess what this means, but truly I have no clue. We have no one who goes around buying fur up here, no real outlets other than the main auction houses and the very very rare person who may make three skunks into mitts as a hobby.

So help me understand these phantom country buyers? Is there a domestic market where there is an industry that makes garments that these buyers supply? Why does western Canada not have country buyers in the region of awesome fur?

Thanks for any insight, been driving me nuts!

Nafa and fha arent the only game in town. Sorry you are forced to trade with them

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490356
03/14/19 12:05 AM
03/14/19 12:05 AM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline
trapper
S

Wyoming
The point is, it is good to have ALL these outlets and options. One may work for one person while another outlet works for the guy next door. You never want to see only one outlet as that has never proven good in business

Everyone needs to sell where it works best for them.

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Boco] #6490375
03/14/19 12:36 AM
03/14/19 12:36 AM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
Originally Posted by Boco
Somebody sent them a bunch of junky $3500 dollar cats,lol.
Some of yous really should attend one of the big league auctions-even if its just to see all the dealer lots there.
.......what did the second lot sell for? lol with the hundreds of cats there they can only find 10 for a top lot and all the rest sell way below that price? lol..........................maybe that's the only 10 cats that were certified ! lol

Last edited by wallfur; 03/14/19 12:48 AM.
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490381
03/14/19 01:05 AM
03/14/19 01:05 AM
Nebraska
Poorcoon Offline
trapper
Poorcoon  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Well I guess I'm a country buyer. I buy a few hundred hides every year. Mostly raccoon and mostly from just the local kids around the area. Almost everything I buy goes to NAFA. Normally I can beat the big buyers on my prices paid to Trappers and Hunters. One of the big reasons for this is because I don't have the overhead that petska and groenewold do. And if anybody brings it up that's what I tell them. I've had years where I did it all for free, made zero money. And I've had years where I made an embarrassing amount of money. All I do is speculate.
. Just about everybody who's ever sold to me comes back the next year. It is pretty rare that a person wants to put in the work 2 handle their own fur even rarer somebody wants to take the risk to buy and put up somebody else's shot up mishandled fur. That's where I come in

"Nothing I like to do pays well." True Grit

"Revenge is in the hands of God, not mine." Revenant.
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490425
03/14/19 05:58 AM
03/14/19 05:58 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
good read guys lots of places to sell fur is a plus to the guys catching it I agree with tjm

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490432
03/14/19 06:19 AM
03/14/19 06:19 AM
eastern ks
D
derek masenthin Offline
trapper
derek masenthin  Offline
trapper
D

eastern ks
Good friend of mine is a buyer worked for that guy all threw high school still do when he gets swamped and can barely keep his head above water he goes to several state auctions from the Rockies to the swamps of the south basically were ever the broker says to go on top of buying threw his front door of his business at home 99.9 percent of his fur sees the east coast never makes it to canada very valuable asset to the fur world I've seen that man teach so many youngin how to out up fur over the yrs when there gone our boat is floating without a paddle

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: John Sullivan] #6490479
03/14/19 07:44 AM
03/14/19 07:44 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by trapsRus
Sask,

The country buyer was a mainstay of the fur industry for a long time in the USA. But most are gone now. The market ups and downs make it just too hard for any business to stay in business for very long.

Most were very small businesses run by the owner. He operated out of his home or had a shop located next to his house. Some had small fur farms on the property. Or sold trapping supplies.

It was a great experience especially for young trappers to visit the country buyer and watch him grade the pelts and make an offer to buy them. It was just cool as (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) if you were a kid with a few pelts. With a lot of fur it got more serious. The buyer would sometimes get on the phone with his buyer in New York or someplace and talk about your collection before making an offer. Some areas had several buyers within an hours drive of home. So you could get several bids and be home by noon. Some buyers would be hot and have an order to fill and exceed your expectations. Others were not competitive at all. The advantage for the trapper was to get paid right away. And visiting the guy was fun and buying supplies and learning a lot about fur handling and maybe even getting some hints on good places to trap.

trapsRus nailed it.

During the fur-boom years there were many country buyers in my area of Pennsylvania. I had many options to sell my fur and word spread quickly about which buyer was paying better prices for which skins.

Most of them are gone now. The two exceptions I can think of in my area are John Epler (Epler Fur Company) and Dave Rodgers (Rodgers Hides and Supplies). I think both are members here on Tman.

There used to be a decent number of buyers that would show up at the PTA 's District Fur Sales throughout the state but in the last several years (since the market depression began) I've noticed that number declining as well.

I have been selling to NAFA the last several years but have not been happy with their performance. I began exploring other options for the sale of my furs. This season I made an arrangement with an out-of-state furrier. We were both happy with the deal that was struck.

I believe options such as that will be the way I try to sell my fur in the future. The more options for sale a trapper has available the better off he/she will be.

Eh...wot?

Re: Country buyers??? [Re: danny clifton] #6490503
03/14/19 08:29 AM
03/14/19 08:29 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Local buyers I've been around send some stuff to auction but definitely not most of it. They make their money buying green hides or carcass fur. It is discounted pretty steep. Most of them don't buy a whole lot of stretched skins. They cant buy them cheap enough. There are always exceptions but that's a good generalization.

I agree with most of what you said. I disagree with fur buyers not preferring to buy finished goods. There is a smaller margin until the carcass and green stuff has hidden issues and after skinning or scraping it is not what they thought they bought. Buying finished fur allows them to see what they buy so there are fewer surprises. Also in this market, it is most profitable for the trapper to sell finished goods. This year carcass coon were selling for 4 or 5 bucks. With averages on finished coon 12 .00 and up you can average 8.00 each more by finishing. Simply skinning them was worth 4 dollars more than carcass goods. So yes you are giving over half of the fur value away by selling carcass goods. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Country buyers??? [Re: Saskayote] #6490512
03/14/19 08:38 AM
03/14/19 08:38 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
IMO they like to buy finished goods but don't pay enough to get a lot of it. If carcass coons are bought for 4, then add 4 for skinning fleshing and stretching (assuming he is hiring help) then sold for 12. He is not going to pay anywhere near 12 for stretched skins. If he does it will be at an auction someplace because a broker hired him to buy the fur. Told him what size/grade/species for X amount. Buyer gets paid a flat rate.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread