Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Shock Springs [Re: Golf ball] #6492883
03/16/19 09:22 PM
03/16/19 09:22 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by Golf ball
I just got off the phone with Ed Medvetz, the man is an encyclopedia of information on government trapping study’s. He claims the biggest advantage of the spring is to give the trap that extra split second to lockup . This is not an issue with a full pad catch but is with a toe catch and chains shorter than 20” . He also said they did a study in PA with Dp’s and had very few pull outs when adding a 32 lbs. spring for coon .

The late Del Kramer also believed the same thing that is why he was a advocate for long chains.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Shock Springs [Re: Golf ball] #6492894
03/16/19 09:30 PM
03/16/19 09:30 PM
PA
P
Pad Catch Offline OP
trapper
Pad Catch  Offline OP
trapper
P

PA
Originally Posted by Golf ball
I just got off the phone with Ed Medvetz, the man is an encyclopedia of information on government trapping study’s. He claims the biggest advantage of the spring is to give the trap that extra split second to lockup . This is not an issue with a full pad catch but is with a toe catch and chains shorter than 20” . He also said they did a study in PA with Dp’s and had very few pull outs when adding a 32 lbs. spring for coon .

Ed relayed those same sentiments to me as well. I know he is the spring manufacturer, but he had data to back it and told me just as many situations where springs wouldn't help as he did where springs would help. Ed is a straight shooter as far as I can tell.

Living the Dream, One Fur at a Time.
Re: Shock Springs [Re: Pad Catch] #6493960
03/17/19 11:34 PM
03/17/19 11:34 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
You can find studies that say the world is flat, too.

Theres a reason why we don't add chain to DPs.

Some of us have already tested these theories.

But to each his own. Do what works for ya.

Re: Shock Springs [Re: Pad Catch] #6494107
03/18/19 09:17 AM
03/18/19 09:17 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
The only time I’ve had an issue with a pull out on a Dp was if I set too close to something the coon could get ahold of. This is where Ed says to use the spring to take away their power. I say move to a better location !

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91