No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6493839
03/17/19 08:55 PM
03/17/19 08:55 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Pawnee, I am not being judgemental when I ask this but it's the reality of the situation so bear with me and I understand the economics of the current markets makes things difficult and I understand it's none of my business.

Were you paying him overtime wages after 40 or 48 hours? Any kind of a 401k plan or otherwise. If he is getting 10 dollars an hour more and gets close to the same hours he got at your place the reality is he is probably going to make 30k a year more. If he is getting less hours, that might have been his incentive. Work fewer hours to make the same amount.

The reality is that money speaks to a lot of people, more so if they are highly qualified. In today's current job market a skilled tradesman is basically in the driver's seat so to speak. It's getting hard to find and retain qualified help. Good luck, it's getting tough to find qualified help or even half qualified.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6493845
03/17/19 09:00 PM
03/17/19 09:00 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by Pawnee
Big implement dealer stole my mechanic that I stole from them 3 years ago.lol He was free to work 300 hours a month or 100 hours up to him, company truck, 10 days payed for holidays, health insurance, 320 acres of prime hunting ground with a couple nice deer blinds (deer, pheasant, quail, turkey), 1 beef a year, free to leave at any time for kids stuff (ballgames, programs, ect…), use of anything on the farm (loaders, trucks, shop, tire machine, welders, ect..), and a $5000 dollar bonus, bonus is dependent on how hard you work. He liked it here, but was offered about $10 more an hour. My question is, as an employee are things like the hunting, use of equipment, and free time for kids not worth anything? They would be to me but maybe not to most people. Just wondering as I start looking for a new guy. Thanks

Can I send you my resume ? Lol

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6493859
03/17/19 09:22 PM
03/17/19 09:22 PM
Lyndon, Kansas
Railroader Offline
trapper
Railroader  Offline
trapper

Lyndon, Kansas
the extras like hunting and use of machinery, are probably good for him personally, but the extra money is probably better for his family. For most people/families this day and age a bigger savings account means a sense of security. I would love some of the perks that you listed but they wouldnt mean much to my wife and kids. Having said that the time off for kids would be great. Hopefully you find a good replacement quickly.

Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6493886
03/17/19 09:44 PM
03/17/19 09:44 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline OP
trapper
Pawnee  Offline OP
trapper

Kansas
Steven, we don’t pay overtime. Very rare in agriculture. He averaged 177 the last 6 months. I hoped the perks were overtime!! My other employees averaged 230. The bosses (dad, brothers, and I) work 7 days a week and averaged 260. I know that doesn’t add to his checks, but it has to count for something

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494030
03/18/19 07:35 AM
03/18/19 07:35 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
You sound like a great person to work for, which is rare anymore. You care about your employees, and who ever does fill his shoes will be a very lucky man in my opinion.

Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494051
03/18/19 08:12 AM
03/18/19 08:12 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Pawnee, I knew that farming is exempt from overtime rules. Your perks do count for something, unfortunately they don't help to pay for college and retirement.

The sad part is finding and retaining quality individuals is going to get harder now that the baby boom generation is starting to retire. The reality is the younger generation isn't as interested in manual labor, working overtime etc. Before any young men jumps on my case I realize that are young people who are but on average it just isnt the case.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494068
03/18/19 08:38 AM
03/18/19 08:38 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Those perks would have meant Everything to me! ...Wow!

Sorry you lost him Man!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494085
03/18/19 08:58 AM
03/18/19 08:58 AM
vermont
V
vermontster Offline
trapper
vermontster  Offline
trapper
V

vermont
I left my job of 27 years a year and a half ago. I loved being an HVACR TECH. But my was knocked off a ladder 10 years ago and ruptured a disc. Then ruptured three more times. My own fault for filing workers comp. But anyway One of the biggest reasons I left was after 27 years I was only getting three weeks vacation. The owner was one of my best friends and is one of the hardest working people I know. They haven't been able to hire a replacement yet. I feel terrible about it. Everybody is so busy all qualified people are working already. No help for your problem just saying.

The bitterness of poor quality last a lot longer than the sweetness of low price
Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494097
03/18/19 09:07 AM
03/18/19 09:07 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Pawnee, the answer to your question is it will matter more to some than to others.
Myself, I would not place a high value on the use of your land or equipment because I would have or be trying to get my own, 20k a year will buy a lot of those things. Besides, any thing involving the use of tools or equipment is just more work.
As to the bonus being tied to how hard a guy works, that doesn't work for me at all- if I'm not doing my job you better fire me and if I am doing my job, I can't possibly do any more. My thoughts on bonus is they generally are BS levers to get some guys to kiss up and are paid on how the boss perceives the degree of suck . The only true bonus is a profit split when the profit exceeds a target, this should be spelled out as condition of employment. . A set annual bonus at say, Christmas, is just a sneaky withholding by the employer - he can use the employee's money til then- that gets paid in a lump.

The sad part is finding and retaining quality individuals is going to get harder now that the baby boom generation is starting to retire. The reality is the younger generation isn't as interested in manual labor, working overtime etc. Before any young men jumps on my case I realize that are young people who are but on average it just isnt the case.
true story

I can see you are trying to be the best boss possible, so, when you discuss the job with the new guy or gal, ask right out if any of those things make the job more attractive, or maybe less attractive. A non-hunter or a bird hunter sure isn't going to value the use of a deer stand. A person working 300 hours a month isn't going to get much use out of any of the equipment, time off the job will be for R&R. A vegetarian might not appreciate the beef.
Put the questions out there in a what if and would this help you format and see where it goes, some will place more value on the perks than it costs you and some won't value them at all. $1 per hour might mean more to some than all the perks. You'll have to find what motivates each employee as a person- they are.

Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494102
03/18/19 09:13 AM
03/18/19 09:13 AM
Texas
J
jtg Offline
trapper
jtg  Offline
trapper
J

Texas
It’s very hard when you lose a key person. I have been through it many times. Loyalty, both ways is a thing of the past. If you look at it as just another one of those, you will see how everything just repeats itself over and over. No one knows what would have happen if he stayed and it may have been a blessing. I have found that to be true. Farming and ranching is tough, most people focus on their own needs regardless of the pain it will cost others.
If you would like to read a really good book in respect to this subject and other things. Check out Ray Dialo's book, Principes or the book by Keith J. Cunningham , The Road Less Stupid. but are available in audio as well. I like to listen while in a tractor or on the ranch. You will thank me later.

Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494105
03/18/19 09:16 AM
03/18/19 09:16 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Gonna have to be a farm kid that fills the void! The biggest share of kids growing up in the citys have o interest in working, they are all gonna make their living being proffesional gamers! crazy Just ask them! Good luck on your quest for a replacement!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494226
03/18/19 10:53 AM
03/18/19 10:53 AM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

Too many perks. $ is what its all about. 300 hours is 75 hours a week, not much time for the perks and family, 100 hours per month not enough money. A $10.00 raise at 160 hour month (40 hour weeks) is $1,600.00, HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE.

My business is seasonal (6 months) spring to fall. My employees make a years wages in that time. To them its all about $. The sad part they spend it like it will last all year and they know it seasonal when they get hired. I pay their benefits on their check but they don't put the retirement away. It all about $.

Re: Employee question [Re: ] #6494353
03/18/19 01:30 PM
03/18/19 01:30 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
One of the reasons we see less loyalty or long term employment as the younger work force witnessed many of their parents terminated and or walked out of buildings with guards etc. after years of service with no real future left and they saw vividly how that impacted their parents or relatives and they are not going to commit that much human energy and emotion to that fickle of ownership and management. Now when firms would like to see more trained and dedicated workers they have in many cases themselves to blame for the lack of desire of youth with vivid experience as to why they won't do that.

Bryce

Re: Employee question [Re: Pawnee] #6494421
03/18/19 02:59 PM
03/18/19 02:59 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
You'll run yourself ragged trying to figure out what another person let alone employee finds valuable. Keep offering what you think is reasonable until a majority start to think it's unreasonable. Do what you can for the good ones and try not to take it personal. Could be he's just in a tough spot and needed the extra coin or his lady friend started harpen on em wink

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Employee question [Re: bblwi] #6494425
03/18/19 03:04 PM
03/18/19 03:04 PM
North Carolina
DaYooper14 Offline
trapper
DaYooper14  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
Originally Posted by bblwi
One of the reasons we see less loyalty or long term employment as the younger work force witnessed many of their parents terminated and or walked out of buildings with guards etc. after years of service with no real future left and they saw vividly how that impacted their parents or relatives and they are not going to commit that much human energy and emotion to that fickle of ownership and management. Now when firms would like to see more trained and dedicated workers they have in many cases themselves to blame for the lack of desire of youth with vivid experience as to why they won't do that.

Bryce

Truth. Also, How many employers these days can effectively say, you stay with me and I'll guarantee a job for 25+yrs. Not only that, I'll give you a pension. Different circumstances these days in that the only guarantee you have is - when it comes to your paycheck, you have to look out for yourself and no others.

-- It seems all of Greece knows what is the right thing to do, but it is only the Spartans that do anything about it. --
Re: Employee question [Re: run] #6494554
03/18/19 05:19 PM
03/18/19 05:19 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Well I guess both the employee and the employer are meeting current and future expectations and thus planning just what is best for them in the near term and thus longevity becomes a handicap and not a value.

Bryce

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread