Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Hanging carcass animals... #6472136
02/24/19 02:48 PM
02/24/19 02:48 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
When hanging 'round' animals on the carcass, like in a cold garage, I've heard buyers say to keep away from sunlight.
Are they only talking about direct sunlight (like hanging fur right next to a window)? Is the concern only relevant if the animal were to hang for extended time periods (like > a month)?
Lastly, Is it important to hang 'put up' fur in a pretty dark place before it goes to market? Thanks

Last edited by AJE; 02/24/19 02:49 PM.
Re: Hanging carcass animals... [Re: AJE] #6472175
02/24/19 03:18 PM
02/24/19 03:18 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
A carcass animal hanging for an extended period of time (like a month) is going to have more problems than sunlight, smile

On put up fur, I'm not sure dark is as important as dry conditions. Humidity and poor air circulation are the biggest problems.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Hanging carcass animals... [Re: AJE] #6472228
02/24/19 04:20 PM
02/24/19 04:20 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Why are you even contemplating doing this? Get the animal skinned and then you can let those green hides hang for quit some time. But a month might be pushing It.

The thing about the sun Is this. Dark colors when subjected to the sun will become warm and that will cause thawing. Kind of what happens On your black top drive way In the winter.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Hanging carcass animals... [Re: AJE] #6472304
02/24/19 05:52 PM
02/24/19 05:52 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Fresh caught animals only need to be hung for a couple days and only if it is cool.Hang them in a woodshed and no sunlight.Or a cold room in a basement.Sunlight generates heat.
Animals skin a lot better after hanging for a couple days.It stiffens the fat,coagulates the blood,and drys the fur.Parasites like fleas also leave the carcass.Of course frozen animals also need to be hung to thaw out before skinning. [Linked Image]

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Hanging carcass animals... [Re: wissmiss] #6475663
02/27/19 08:33 PM
02/27/19 08:33 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by wissmiss
A carcass animal hanging for an extended period of time (like a month) is going to have more problems than sunlight

If it's froze, what would be the problem(s)?
Skinning right away's always best. Unfortunately, it's not always practical for me. My schedule's so grueling it sometimes amazes me I find time to trap. I've also had situations where I don't have time to skin right away, & the freezer's full.
Sometimes (for some people) selling in the round is all that works for them. That's ok if sellers realize carcass animals bring less $, but a buyer is willing to buy in the round. Wiebke is the only buyer in my area that (I know of that) buys in the round...& he wants to be done buying by mid March.
Sometimes I check traps after a long day (10+ hr workday), & get home late (with back ache)--- & skinning right away isn't always an option. In this frigid weather, once an animal freezes it could be a while b4 it thaws enough to skin.
Ideal, no. I am working on trying to become more efficient. Sometimes a person can only do so much. Grueling work schedules are frustrating, lol. I'm only in my 30s.

Thanks

Last edited by AJE; 02/27/19 09:07 PM.
Re: Hanging carcass animals... [Re: AJE] #6475938
02/28/19 01:47 AM
02/28/19 01:47 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
like we said keep It out of the sun and go for It.

The other thing you could do Is remove a completely frozen critter from the freezer and hang It then put the just caught critters In the freezer. This should give you plenty of time before that frozen critter will thaw out. This has worked with me In the past.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Hanging carcass animals... [Re: AJE] #6478011
03/02/19 12:16 AM
03/02/19 12:16 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
It is much better to freeze hides instead of whole animals.Set aside a couple days a week for skinning.I realize this may not be possible if you have to check your line each day by law.If I had to work around that I would skin the catch at the end of each day and freeze the hides,even if it meant a couple extra hours of work each day.Frozen carcasses fill up a freezer fast.Hanging animals outdoors in below freezing temps is OK for short term,say a week or 2.But it takes some animals when frozen on the carcass a couple of days to thaw enough to skin,so you will need to plan your skinning days ahead of time and hope nothing comes up when they are thawed out and ready to skin.
Much better if you can freeze the skins only.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Hanging carcass animals... [Re: AJE] #6496619
03/20/19 09:38 PM
03/20/19 09:38 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline OP
trapper
AJE  Offline OP
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Good info, thanks.