No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: BillyTraps] #6497484
03/21/19 10:38 PM
03/21/19 10:38 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline OP
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by BillyTraps
With $100 coyotes I work for the numbers...in a depredation situation I work for the last one. So the answer is aspire to do BOTH

Billy which one do toy take more pride in, out of curiosity?

Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497535
03/21/19 11:15 PM
03/21/19 11:15 PM
MN
Y
yukonal Offline
trapper
yukonal  Offline
trapper
Y

MN
You'll never catch the last one.

Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497566
03/21/19 11:47 PM
03/21/19 11:47 PM
mt
M
MT bowhunter Offline
trapper
MT bowhunter  Offline
trapper
M

mt
Catch all you can. Coyotes, cockroaches and magpies will be the last to go.

I can't believe that cop put me in the back seat when I clearly called shotgun.
Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: MT bowhunter] #6497567
03/21/19 11:49 PM
03/21/19 11:49 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by MT bowhunter
Catch all you can. Coyotes, cockroaches and magpies will be the last to go.

X2

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497627
03/22/19 06:40 AM
03/22/19 06:40 AM
West Virginia
J
John Houben Offline
trapper
John Houben  Offline
trapper
J

West Virginia
Just for grins and giggles let me "stir the pot." . . . No one and I mean NO ONE, catches the last one (coyote). When things work out you might bust a whole family group, but most of the time you don't. If the the very best trappers out there could catch the "last one" how could trappers like O'Gorman trap for a lifetime in the same county?

Bottomline is that coyotes move around on the landscape so much that any void one creates is filled in in a matter of days during most of the year and within months during the summer. If by catching the "last one" you mean catching any coyote which happens to be on your trap line, that usually comes down to finding that coyote and putting in good basic sets in its personal line of travel. Lots of time that also means you have to back off a distance from where that individual animal is avoiding you. When you say, "I so good I can catch this animal in this field", you often are making a shy animal seem as if it were a super smart educated coyote. A number of other tricks apply, but it is not rocket science it is more like perseverance.

For a fur trapper, why would you spend the time needed to catch an individual animal? If it is convenient fine, but otherwise keep moving. If you are doing ADC work, the amount of time need to come up with individual animals is why you need to charge for the job. There is a satisfaction in catching individual animals. Whether you are catching them for damage control, for research, or just to say you did it. However, when you accomplish it be assured another "last one" is within 30 miles of you.

Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497637
03/22/19 06:57 AM
03/22/19 06:57 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
if you work an area hard in the spring it will be early fall before they fill back in to any appreciable amount. 3-4 guys mapping out a connected area. each doing say 400 square miles, (20X20) can put the hurt on them.

fur trapping when your catch starts dropping you need to move if you want to keep producing numbers.

fur trapping and livestock protection are two different things.

most stock killers are as dumb as the other coyotes. a few survive efforts by the cowboys to kill them and learn some things are dangerous. they are not smarter just lucky enough to survive a few things. some cowboys are real good at coyote killing. coyotes don't benefit from mistakes and get educated.

try trapping coyotes where they get denned in the spring, the plane flies 3 times a year, county has a predator man as well as federal wildlife services, every high school boy has a digital caller and uses it, every pickup has a rifle in it and you will put a lot of effort into every coyote you pelt. you wont catch many either. they are not there to catch.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497646
03/22/19 07:09 AM
03/22/19 07:09 AM
Ar
G
gregh Offline
trapper
gregh  Offline
trapper
G

Ar
I've done the numbers game and it was fun at the time, and a lot of work. The older I get the slower I get and these days I would rather catch the smart ones than put up numbers. But also our coyotes are not worth much anyways.

Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: gregh] #6497717
03/22/19 09:08 AM
03/22/19 09:08 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by gregh
I've done the numbers game and it was fun at the time, and a lot of work. The older I get the slower I get and these days I would rather catch the smart ones than put up numbers. But also our coyotes are not worth much anyways.

Me too, and I get older.....it gets harder! Miss the days of the big catches, but can't go as hard as I used to. Quit going to Wy every year to start the season when I was about 53 or 54. Thought I wouldn't trap that hard again and sold about three barrels of traps. Mange had wiped out the fox there, and you couldn't cut it on just coyotes there, they work them year around and den, fly and trap and call with decoys. So trapped around home here, but wanted to go catch good coyotes, rather than these uglys we have here in eastern Ks. Good yotes arn't any harder to catch than uglies, so I started going out of state again. I love catching coyotes, but I want to catch good coyotes and for their fur, I don't like killing them and making ditch dogs out of them! Have enough of that with the lice and mange you run into when fur trapping!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: danny clifton] #6497720
03/22/19 09:10 AM
03/22/19 09:10 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Originally Posted by danny clifton
if you work an area hard in the spring it will be early fall before they fill back in to any appreciable amount. 3-4 guys mapping out a connected area. each doing say 400 square miles, (20X20) can put the hurt on them.

fur trapping when your catch starts dropping you need to move if you want to keep producing numbers.

fur trapping and livestock protection are two different things.

most stock killers are as dumb as the other coyotes. a few survive efforts by the cowboys to kill them and learn some things are dangerous. they are not smarter just lucky enough to survive a few things. some cowboys are real good at coyote killing. coyotes don't benefit from mistakes and get educated.

try trapping coyotes where they get denned in the spring, the plane flies 3 times a year, county has a predator man as well as federal wildlife services, every high school boy has a digital caller and uses it, every pickup has a rifle in it and you will put a lot of effort into every coyote you pelt. you wont catch many either. they are not there to catch.

Yep pretty well covered it right ther^^^^^^^^^^

Kenneth schoening
Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497792
03/22/19 10:20 AM
03/22/19 10:20 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
[Linked Image]

Numbers for me

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497818
03/22/19 11:11 AM
03/22/19 11:11 AM
ohio USA
Y
yotecope Offline
trapper
yotecope  Offline
trapper
Y

ohio USA
I hate you lol

You gonna learn taday.....
Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497931
03/22/19 02:05 PM
03/22/19 02:05 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I was sure when I wrote my earlier post that everyone understood we are not talking about eliminating every last coyote in the country ! If I need to explain further then I don’t feel we are dealing with trapping on the same level .

For the sake of stirring the pot if you think you’ve got them all and see fresh tracks three days later , you have know idea about population densities. I’ve never seen fresh tracks any sooner than seven days and that’s at the beginning of season !

It’s a pretty small world if you never look outside your own back yard !

Re: Fun question for u coyote trappers [Re: Yes sir] #6497976
03/22/19 03:25 PM
03/22/19 03:25 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Golf Ball is that like old song ,,,,