No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
bow shooting Shoulder Injury* #6499682
03/24/19 03:23 PM
03/24/19 03:23 PM
Ohio
Hunting G Offline OP
trapper
Hunting G  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Hey guys,
You might remember nearly 2 years ago my shoulder blew out after normal activity of shooting bow. Well, after too many doc appointments, MRI's, X-rays, Physical Therapist, Chiropractor, ect. they still can't find ANYTHING wrong confused
I can't hardly shoot 2 clips of 9mm without being swollen for 2 days afterwards, let alone shoot bow again. Used to lift more than my own weight with one arm, now a milk jug is about my weight limit.

Thinking about going to an infectious disease doc because right before it happened I went on a trip out west, then was sick as a dog on and off for months after. It is obviously not a muscle issue.
Anyone have anything like this?

Would appreciate prayers...it's gettin old not shootin

[Linked Image]

-Lydia

What you do today matters. Pass it on
Always stay Humble and Kind
OSTA- NTA
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499687
03/24/19 03:24 PM
03/24/19 03:24 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Lydia, how'd the injury take place initially ?

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Aaron Proffitt] #6499693
03/24/19 03:28 PM
03/24/19 03:28 PM
Ohio
Hunting G Offline OP
trapper
Hunting G  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by Aaron Proffitt
Lydia, how'd the injury take place initially ?

Spent the day building fence, and shooting bow like normal. After shooting, it felt like a sore muscle that gradually got worse until 2am my body went into shock and went to the er.
After that, it would be good for a while, then I picked up a bucket of traps and had to spend a week in a sling. Now it is on and off

-Lydia

OSTA- NTA
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499695
03/24/19 03:30 PM
03/24/19 03:30 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Have you been tested for Lyme disease ? It affects people in may different ways and joint pain is one of them

Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: w side rd 151] #6499698
03/24/19 03:38 PM
03/24/19 03:38 PM
Ohio
Hunting G Offline OP
trapper
Hunting G  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
Have you been tested for Lyme disease ? It affects people in may different ways and joint pain is one of them

I been tested for Lyme, and Hepatitis B and C.

(What about like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Chikungunya?)

-Lydia

OSTA- NTA
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499706
03/24/19 03:47 PM
03/24/19 03:47 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
I am not a doctor. I have injured by left shoulder twice. Once when I was 19 years old. Something with the rotator cuff. Saw doctor, physical therapist, did not good. After several months of pain, I added a butterfly chest press machine to stretches and warmups. Started with very little weight and slowly went up. Worked through pain and got almost the full range of motion back, and full strength.

Injured same shoulder again by over extending it dropping off parallel bars on an obstacle course. My whole body weight snapped on it and it went numb. Eventually got better through rest and stretching, and lots of motrin.

Swimming with a light breast stroke can also help work muscles that have been injured.

Medically, steroid injections can help similar injuries get better pretty fast.

Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499722
03/24/19 04:04 PM
03/24/19 04:04 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Hi Lydia, I remember seeing you a few years back at the advanced trappers workshop. Anyway, I used to shoot a lot, shot a stick bow and LOVED it, one of my passions. I haven't been able to shoot it for about 5 years. I too have RC issues but a lot of my problems stemmed from my neck. Maybe have them do a MRI on your cervical spine. Blown or damaged disc can cause a lot of shoulder and arm issues and some with referred pain and such. Good luck to ya.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499736
03/24/19 04:17 PM
03/24/19 04:17 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
My advice would be to go to a Doc who knows about tick-borne illnesses and is willing to give you an entire battery of tests, going beyond Lymes. My best to you!

Moosetrot

Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499740
03/24/19 04:21 PM
03/24/19 04:21 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..Really sorry to hear this..I've been pulling my bow back gradually..I shoot maybe 8-10 shots a day..What poundage was your bow set at when the injury happen?..

I can catch them here...I can catch them ANYWHERE
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Chamacat] #6499741
03/24/19 04:23 PM
03/24/19 04:23 PM
Ohio
Hunting G Offline OP
trapper
Hunting G  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted by Chamacat
Yep..Really sorry to hear this..I've been pulling my bow back gradually..I shoot maybe 8-10 shots a day..What poundage was your bow set at when the injury happen?..

48# but I was just about to crank it up

-Lydia

OSTA- NTA
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499745
03/24/19 04:29 PM
03/24/19 04:29 PM
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..Your right or left shoulder

Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499756
03/24/19 04:36 PM
03/24/19 04:36 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Generally , when I've had a sports related injury , I've noticed it right away. As in immediately. Archery wise, the only time I've suffered an injury ( well , I had done it previously ) was when I had some strained ligaments in my draw hand choose to go haywire at about 3/4 draw and it was immediately noticed. I swore and that arrow went who knows where. .

So I believe others might be correct in looking at some other issues.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499763
03/24/19 04:43 PM
03/24/19 04:43 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Lydia, a two part reply.

When I was a kid, I blew my shoulder out in it tore the membranes, as I was throwing dirt clods at a tank. No one told me I had to warm up. That thing I could hear crackle for years, and it would get hot to the touch.
When I was 7 my knee felt like cut glass in it, and it froze up. God healed it.

Now for the second part. Like most people from vaccines, GMO's and round up herbicide, I get deathly ill as my body wore down. Some of the symptoms I have are not just bowel, but my joints tear or inflame. I am sitting here recovering from something in my pelvis which appears to be from a brand of Hormel bacon as the store stopped a generic brand I was using.
I can within a few hours tell you if grain has been sprayed with round up. I once at couscous from Israel which was under cooked. An hour later I started aching all over. I got a fever. My head hurt. By 3 AM I was up as my intestines shut down, and I was puking. What got me going again was baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

I suggest you visit a site called Earthclinic and do some research. For me, I have to be very careful with corn sweeteners, preservatives and processed foods. What I use is apple cider vinegar at night which balances my PH. I daily use clay mixed in water to absorb toxins in my intestines and this literally saved my life as I was about dead a few years ago. It is an old Indian remedy using bentonite. Lastly, and you have to do the research on this to decide if you want to try it, but part of health issue was candida inflaming things. I researched and took real turpentine on 3 sugar cubes according to the protocols which you can find online, and this took care of a number of my joint pain issues. The clay with the turp is important to absorb the discarded toxins.

I intend here in the next few weeks to do a spring cleaning using turpentine again as I still have candida crop up, and is part of what is the pelvis spine pain that the bacon set off, along with my being stupid in drinking too much pop again.

Just do the research and decide if it would work for you. I am not a doctor and not prescribing anything, This was just my experience when doctors could not fix me. My shoulder took years to repair itself.
One more thing, as you are a little gal and white like the snow as I am, sometimes in the north country into Canada, people do not get enough Vitamin D. I have to take two of those tabs a day at breakfast as the sun does not shine here, and it honestly helps with my inflammation in bowels and joints. I do not use the synthetic though.

I hope some of that helps, but as I have gotten older, one additional piece of advice in you are not built for heavy duty things and you will wear out faster, so leave the heavy stuff to the burly types and maybe look at the shoulder as an adventure in maybe a crossbow for hunting would fill in, until you heal up.
That is the cheap seat advice. There are nutritionists who will put you onto things they manufacture to restore joints.

God bless and will be praying for you.

Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499785
03/24/19 05:03 PM
03/24/19 05:03 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
the world needs more women that hunt in it. I hope you get it figured out. I hope you can still use rifles and shotguns?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499789
03/24/19 05:06 PM
03/24/19 05:06 PM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
If you can not use a bow like you could before Have you thought about to try a crossbow with hand crack for pull the string back? and just lift it with the good arm.Just idea .Sorry to hear what is going on with you .Hope they find what is wrong with you.I seen what lyme dose to one of my coydogs in the past and also what it did to a person.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: danny clifton] #6499854
03/24/19 06:40 PM
03/24/19 06:40 PM
Ohio
Hunting G Offline OP
trapper
Hunting G  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio
Appreciate the replies!!! smile

to answer a few of your questions,
Originally Posted by Chamacat
Your right or left shoulder

It is my right shoulder, but I have been fortunate enough to be able to have someone load a crossbow for me and go out and get a huge buck last year and this year. Thankful for the abilities I do have

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I hope you can still use rifles and shotguns?

no shotguns, but rifles I can't shoot my .22-250 more than 4 times otherwise I regret it later haha 223 in AR is sometimes okay also

-Lydia

OSTA- NTA
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499865
03/24/19 06:53 PM
03/24/19 06:53 PM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Have a hand crank put on your crossbow it will make it easy on you in the . That is what I done with the first one I got and then had got another one when the first was stolen and then return later that was damage,Both have hand cranks.
Try to keep your 22-250 with one shot . Take it slow and get it take care of.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499871
03/24/19 06:59 PM
Goldsboro, NC
John C Offline
trapper
John C  Offline
trapper

Goldsboro, NC
I e got a torn labrum in my right shoulder and a Labral tear and partial torn rotator cuff in y left shoulder. I was shooting 70lb draw weight but recently had the modules changed to a 60lb and my shoulders are loving it. Pulling the 70lb back hurt as I did it and for a few days afterwards. I’ve never hurt from recoil when shooting guns inside my shoulder like I envision your describing. I’d agree with a previous poster that suggested a neck or spinal injury may be manifesting as shoulder pain. I have a friend that broke his back as he complained more about severe leg pain more than anything else(until the surgery but that’s a different story).

More Cowbell
Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499872
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
Has any Dr mentioned micro tears that are too small to show up or the resulting scar tissue that will be left. If further investigation reveals NO disease related problem, I would try to find the best sports medicine Dr, MD or Chiropractor you can find and try for another muscle damage evaluation. Or maybe a Dr/trainer with a professional football-baseball, etc team. The higher you go up the food chain the better advice you'll receive. I had serious upper back and neck trouble 30 years ago. No one I went to knew what was wrong, let alone what to do. Then I found a local chiropractor that turned out to be world class. He told me in 5 minutes what was causing the problem and the path forward to correct. Couple years later he was working with our Olympic team athletes. Years later the Olympic team Dr took a position with the PGA and asked Tom to move over with him. He still does work for the PGA as well as his own practice. Shoulder injuries from shooting a bow are common. If you get on the mend there are weight training movements one can do that will help. The best of luck.

Re: bow shooting Shoulder Injury* [Re: Hunting G] #6499873
New Mexico
C
Chamacat Offline
trapper
Chamacat  Offline
trapper
C

New Mexico
Yep..So with the MRI's and X-rays..any soft tissue/ligaments/tendons/muscle..and bone structure have been ruled out?..If so that is truly amazing that you still/have that much pain and swelling and inflamation (SP)..I had kinda figured the right shoulder being that is your draw shoulder..After 24 months and no recovery to speak of..maybe it is what these other posters have said..That sucks in this day and time modern western medical
can't get it figured out..I truly do feel for you..I have had shoulder surgery and it hurt beyond hurt...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread