No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500468
03/25/19 10:05 AM
03/25/19 10:05 AM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
Danny,

I read this and it bothers me. I think it is sad what happened to that pony. When I was nine years old we lived in Whitehall, MT on our cattle ranch. We had five Newfoundland dogs. The most loyal and gentle dogs we ever had. When we traveled in the pickup my brothers and I would sleep on them in the back. Well one day we saw them running the cattle and attacking them. Long story short, if I wouldn't have seen it myself, then I don't know if I would have believed it. They had to be put down. Was not easy to do, but had to be done. IMO.

I have a close friend I grew up with. Her and her boyfriend had a pit bull that they had raised from a puppy. She had gotten home from work (boyfriend still at work) and walked in the house and the pit attacked her. It took her to the ground and she yelled and screamed at the pit at loud as she could, using her arms and hands to protect herself. The neighbor heard her screams and came in the front door with his 9mm (great neighbors and friends). He had to shoot the pit twice at point blank range, killing the pit and saving Patty. She had to go to the hospital. Her arms and hands were shredded. She fully recovered, yet with horrible scars physically, as well as mentally and emotionally. They said they never saw any indication of why this happened and don't know what caused it.

I believe any dog has the potential, after what I saw our Newfoundland's do to our cattle. I will say that is with cattle. I don't believe they would have ever have attacked us, however I can NOT say that with 100% certainty.

I am always cautious around certain breeds, especially pit's and chow's. I believe certain breeds have a greater potential. I also believe that how they are bred (I lived in TN for eight years and I know that would "inbreed" dogs for fighting purposes) and how they are raised is a factor.

I have heard it said that there are no bad dogs...just bad owners. I also believe it is not right to let dogs run loose. I am NOT talking about hunting, working or on your own property. JMO.

Again...I say it is sad what happened. Did the owner of the dogs know (intentionally) that his pit and sheperd were running loose? Just a thought.

Thanks for your article. God bless and happy trails. Swampfox

Last edited by Swampfox; 03/25/19 10:09 AM.
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500547
03/25/19 11:19 AM
03/25/19 11:19 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Was a phone man for 34 years, had lots of encounters. Had a dalmation bite me on my right butt cheek as I was standing there talking to the homeowner. I puller a pair of 9 inch pliers out of my tool pouch and cracked him on the nose so he would let go. I was mad and I asked the guy why he let his dog come up and bite me and his reply was he doesn't like people with beards.

When I was younger riding a dirt bike I had a St. Bernard go through a screen door of a house and run out and put his mouth around my thigh and jerk me off the bike. The homeowner yelled and stopped the dog before it got ugly.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500597
03/25/19 11:54 AM
03/25/19 11:54 AM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Zero experience with Dalmatians , but I've heard they can be very unpredictable .

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500616
03/25/19 12:15 PM
03/25/19 12:15 PM
Idaho City, Idaho
I
IdahoRoger Offline
trapper
IdahoRoger  Offline
trapper
I

Idaho City, Idaho
I was bitten on the leg by a German Sheppard while riding my bike, I was about ten years old. The dog ran up behind me and latched onto my leg. The owner paid for the doctor bill.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500669
03/25/19 01:03 PM
03/25/19 01:03 PM
Pillager, Minnesota
P
patfundine Offline
trapper
patfundine  Offline
trapper
P

Pillager, Minnesota
Most of the dog problems are directly traced back to the owners.

Here's a bit of advice if you ever find yourself a victim of a dog attack.
1 get your hand under the collar and twist - no air = no more fight. They let up really fast and submit.

2 a good fist to the nose will really slow them down also.

3 stand your ground, don't show them any fear. Make them rethink their decision to attack.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: patfundine] #6500677
03/25/19 01:11 PM
03/25/19 01:11 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by patfundine

1 get your hand under the collar and twist - no air = no more fight. They let up really fast and submit.

3 stand your ground, don't show them any fear. Make them rethink their decision to attack.

Do you think these things would work on a pit when they attack?

Last edited by Yes sir; 03/25/19 01:11 PM.
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500695
03/25/19 01:30 PM
03/25/19 01:30 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
1-pull pistol

2-(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) hammer

3-pull trigger

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Yes sir] #6500713
03/25/19 01:52 PM
03/25/19 01:52 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Wouldn't from what I've seen.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: patfundine] #6500741
03/25/19 02:24 PM
03/25/19 02:24 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass

I've watched a few of the malinois we use get punched, kicked, hit with objects and continue to bite and latch on...none of their jaws actually lock. Besides lethal force the most effective tool for dog owners to carry on them is The breaker or something similar. The induced gag reflex will allow the owner to regain control and allow the dog to be pulled away. Unleashed dogs that attack ...that's all she wrote.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Yes sir] #6500766
03/25/19 03:11 PM
03/25/19 03:11 PM
Pillager, Minnesota
P
patfundine Offline
trapper
patfundine  Offline
trapper
P

Pillager, Minnesota

No air..... no fight. They all go down fast with a quick twist of the collar.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Yes sir] #6500776
03/25/19 03:16 PM
03/25/19 03:16 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

If you can react fast enough a swift kick or strike will remind them of their place. If a full blown attack is on then a side arm is the best solution. If not available, shove your hand as far down their mouth as you can and wrap them up so they can't shake.

If they are free to fight, they will, take as much of that away from them that you can.

-Goofy-
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: patfundine] #6500782
03/25/19 03:19 PM
03/25/19 03:19 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

No air..... no fight. They all go down fast with a quick twist of the collar.

That's great if they have a collar.

-Goofy-
Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500788
03/25/19 03:30 PM
03/25/19 03:30 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
I've seen a number of rottweilers in the news the last few days for killing children. I think it was Oklahoma, Texas and California.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500791
03/25/19 03:32 PM
03/25/19 03:32 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
If tapping a wild canine on the nose works so well why doesn't it work equally as well on domestics?

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500810
03/25/19 03:46 PM
03/25/19 03:46 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Think about this very sad true story. There was a mom of a sweet 3 year old little boy. The boy wanted a Popsicle on a warm summer day. It was dripping on the floor so mom sent him out on the back step to finish it. When she went to get him just minutes later the neighbors two pit bulls had him torn limb from limb all over his back yard. They "never would hurt anyone", "never showed any aggression before" " they are always on their heavy chains, never get away" etc... .

For all you who would own/defend them, I truly hope yours never "snap" (or revert to their breeding) and kill a child.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: danny clifton] #6500829
03/25/19 04:16 PM
03/25/19 04:16 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Christ on a bike, pat. Look at that dog I posted. Axel. You're not cutting off his air supply.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: patfundine] #6500846
03/25/19 04:31 PM
03/25/19 04:31 PM
Berlin, Pa.
C
cci Offline
trapper
cci  Offline
trapper
C

Berlin, Pa.

Have you tried this firsthand or do you just think it will work. Because if you get your hand twisted up in an attacking pits collar you will just have a broken mangled hand. That will work about as well as throwing your books at a school shooter

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Aaron Proffitt] #6500858
03/25/19 04:40 PM
03/25/19 04:40 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas

As far as I'm concerned the thought that ur going stop an attack of a pit with any of those methods when the dog is is in attack mode shows their ignorance of what a dog like a pit can do. As far as tapping one on the nose just think about how hard it is to do with a k-9 in a trap. With a dog attack u have about 2 tenths of a second from the time hes close enough until hes on u. Then u have hit right on the nose also. Not good odds.

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Mr. Ed] #6500859
03/25/19 04:41 PM
03/25/19 04:41 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
There may some good pitbulls out there. And I know that some of them that have attacked people were family pets so they were not trained to attack. It is just the breed that should not be around small kids at least minimum. When was the last time a yellow lab went on a rampage or a beagle ?

Ask Ceasar the dog whisperer on TV!! He handles a lot of salty dogs. On one episode a yellow lab went berserk and nearly took his arm off multiple surgery and nerve damage loss of motion. Caesar said in subsequent episode review of the attack it was the worst he had ever experienced. If he had not fought back as hard as he did he would have been toast. The dog whisperer talked the family into letting him take the dog as it could not be trusted. It lives as part of Caesar's "pack". This dog was a family pet.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: pit bulls....again [Re: Pike River] #6500928
03/25/19 05:53 PM
03/25/19 05:53 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by Pike River
If tapping a wild canine on the nose works so well why doesn't it work equally as well on domestics?

They aren't in a trap . Not restrained.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread