No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Learning About De-Scenting? #6504696
03/29/19 05:39 PM
03/29/19 05:39 PM
Boston, MA
G
greengrass Offline OP
trapper
greengrass  Offline OP
trapper
G

Boston, MA
New here, I'm interested in learning techniques to hide my scent on traps. Not really sure what that would be called or how to search the web for it. Is there a name for that type of technique or can someone point me in the right direction? Right now I usually wash my hands with soap and that's it, and then carry out my traps by hand but all the oils must be getting on them so I need to find a better way to deal with scent and not sure where to start. Do most people move their traps around in plastic bags or where should I look to find someones process? Thanks in advance.

Re: Learning About De-Scenting? [Re: greengrass] #6504700
03/29/19 05:56 PM
03/29/19 05:56 PM

C
CGilliam
Unregistered
CGilliam
Unregistered
C

What's wrong with trapping bare handed? I've never done any kind of scent control.

Re: Learning About De-Scenting? [Re: greengrass] #6504706
03/29/19 06:06 PM
03/29/19 06:06 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Dye, wax and wear clean gloves is my scent control.

Re: Learning About De-Scenting? [Re: greengrass] #6504709
03/29/19 06:09 PM
03/29/19 06:09 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
I am definitely no expert at all but have picked up tips from guys I consider experts. All coyote and wolf traps I do not touch them at all with bare hands once they are dyed and waxed. CLEAN gloves only. Gloves are stored in zip lock bags and I only handle the gloves by the cuffs. Traps are stored in plastic storage bins with spruce or fir boughs under and on top of them, at all times when not deployed.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Learning About De-Scenting? [Re: greengrass] #6504718
03/29/19 06:36 PM
03/29/19 06:36 PM
Ohio
Hunting G Offline
trapper
Hunting G  Offline
trapper

Ohio
I carry my traps in a separate bucket than the lure/bait. When I set traps or use equipment I mostly use seasoned gloves (stick them in a bucket of clean dirt/leaves/cornstalks over the summer) which I clothes pin to the side of my trap carrying/equipment bucket. I use different gloves (or no gloves) to handle lure/bait.

I know plenty of trappers who don't worry about scent control, it's all personal preference.

Whatever you do, there is no way you can eliminate sent. Scott Welch (owner of Blackie's Blend and Welch's lures) says that the you shed about 30,000 skin cells per hour. Coyotes always know you were there. Confidence and Time at each set is important.

Here's the type of gloves I like, whatever fits your hands and is cheap
[Linked Image]

-Lydia

What you do today matters. Pass it on
Always stay Humble and Kind
OSTA- NTA
Re: Learning About De-Scenting? [Re: greengrass] #6504726
03/29/19 06:49 PM
03/29/19 06:49 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
If you are in wilderness where the animals most probably have never seen a human, scent may be of concern. If you think there is any way to hide, cover up or eliminate your scent, you should #1 sell it to the drug cartels and #2 sell it to the dog handlers that look for drugs so they can train dogs to look for the cover up.

Short version, don't worry too much about scent, Car wash or boil your traps and let the dirt cover up any remaining odor. Use a location that the animal can't say no to. Let your lure be the most interesting thing at the set, Get in and out as quickly and cleanly as you can, so that you don't leave more scent than necessary, but don't stress out over it. My first coyote was at a fire set where three boys and three horses had spent a couple hours cooking and eating and being boys, with rusty traps straight out of the barn storage. The bait was Van Camps beans can.
Key thing to learn and remember is that animals do not reason.

Re: Learning About De-Scenting? [Re: tjm] #6506902
03/31/19 07:11 PM
03/31/19 07:11 PM
Boston, MA
G
greengrass Offline OP
trapper
greengrass  Offline OP
trapper
G

Boston, MA
Originally Posted by tjm
If you are in wilderness where the animals most probably have never seen a human, scent may be of concern. If you think there is any way to hide, cover up or eliminate your scent, you should #1 sell it to the drug cartels and #2 sell it to the dog handlers that look for drugs so they can train dogs to look for the cover up.

Short version, don't worry too much about scent, Car wash or boil your traps and let the dirt cover up any remaining odor. Use a location that the animal can't say no to. Let your lure be the most interesting thing at the set, Get in and out as quickly and cleanly as you can, so that you don't leave more scent than necessary, but don't stress out over it. My first coyote was at a fire set where three boys and three horses had spent a couple hours cooking and eating and being boys, with rusty traps straight out of the barn storage. The bait was Van Camps beans can.
Key thing to learn and remember is that animals do not reason.

Thanks for all the advice! I've noticed coyotes avoiding some areas where I have sets when they didn't before. A couple weeks ago I put a wildlife camera out in the snow at a location with lots of coyotes. The first day of videos, every new coyote coming through sticks his nose in one of my tracks, smells, lifts his head and sticks in the the next track and so on. It got me thinking that I need to control my scent. I figure it at least won't hurt anything. I'd like to apply some scent control to my trail cameras. Maybe I'll keep them stored in a container with dirt and spruce or fir boughs, or at least the ones for sensitive areas.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread