No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
5 x 5 body grip traps for coon? #6504961
03/29/19 10:09 PM
03/29/19 10:09 PM
SW Missouri
M
Missourian Offline OP
trapper
Missourian  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Missouri
Here in MO we are limited to 5x5 body grip traps on land. Are these even worth messing with for coon? Can you actually catch any real numbers with a trap this small, or best to just stick with dog proofs and footholds? I've got some locations where body grips would be ideal but don't want to waste my time. Thanks for any feedback. Really wish we could use the 160 size!

Re: 5 x 5 body grip traps for coon? [Re: Missourian] #6504976
03/29/19 10:15 PM
03/29/19 10:15 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I would think spring strength would be the limiting factor otherwise placement is everything.

Re: 5 x 5 body grip traps for coon? [Re: Missourian] #6504986
03/29/19 10:26 PM
03/29/19 10:26 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Yes, that size is doable!

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Scott+Adams'+Tactical+5x5+Coon+Trapping+DVD/

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Delmar+Alstat's+Coons+with+Conibears+Book/

For some reason they aren’t posting a link.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: 5 x 5 body grip traps for coon? [Re: Bob_Iowa] #6504994
03/29/19 10:30 PM
03/29/19 10:30 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
I would think spring strength would be the limiting factor otherwise placement is everything.

Spring strength isnt a problem. Except for the few kit coons that managed to get hip caught, 5x5s are instant DOA.

Re: 5 x 5 body grip traps for coon? [Re: Missourian] #6505012
03/29/19 10:39 PM
03/29/19 10:39 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
We have the same here. I've used the 5x5's and caught some, got a lot of refusals too. I don't much use them anymore accept some groundhog situations.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: 5 x 5 body grip traps for coon? [Re: Missourian] #6505062
03/29/19 11:15 PM
03/29/19 11:15 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
U catch a few in real heavy brushy trails but lots refusals, I use 220s, a few 160s early in season before snow cover weights down weeds an grassy tunnels, grassy tunnels , where tight or small path, is only place, pretty much where catch many coon,i wouldn't waste my time on it, if u an stick DPs early in season an footholds in open water when coon are moving, unless just set a few or best well travel heavy trails with them in small openings though trail where trap jaws blend in well , u get a few , but that about it, just to small of opening

Re: 5 x 5 body grip traps for coon? [Re: Missourian] #6505101
03/29/19 11:38 PM
03/29/19 11:38 PM
MISSOURI,Laclede Co
F
farmnhunt Offline
trapper
farmnhunt  Offline
trapper
F

MISSOURI,Laclede Co
They work fine in boxes, but not so good for trails.. I use them in barns to catch coons, baiting with dairy feed, so i don't catch the house cats.

Re: 5 x 5 body grip traps for coon? [Re: Missourian] #6505467
03/30/19 11:39 AM
03/30/19 11:39 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Settings In trails. Yes you will have refuses but It's doable.

First of all try and find brushy trails so the coon can be forced through the trap. But the main thing you have to do Is keep that trap at least 5" off the ground. You want that coons head In line with the trap opening. To low they will be climbing over every trap.
The other thing you need to do Is close up that space between the lower jaw and the ground. You don't want a opening where the coon may try and go under. Just stuff some grass or sticks under the trap.

If you can't find any brushy situations all Is not lost. Yes you will probably get more refusals but you can still catch coon. Do the same as you would In brushy set up. I know you will be temped to brush In around the trap but don't do It. You don't want to change the scenery. That coon has traveled that trail nigh after night and It will sense the difference.

One other thing you can do. Get some page wire fencing actually any type wire will work and make a tunnel out of that wire something like a covered wagon top. I would make the cage about 15" long and about 14" high. You can go lower but you want It to be high enough so the coon feels comfortable when entering the cage.
Just make it so the cage Is right On top of the traps upper jaw. Your still going to want to close up that space under the jaw so you can guide the coons head. When you cut the wire leave some ends below the last horizontal wire. This way you can shove those ends into the ground to stabilize to the cage. Or you can just shove a T bar stake through the wire cage.
Again your going to be tempted to cover the wire cage. Don't do It, It just makes the cage stick out like a sore thumb .Don't be afraid to use these cages In every trail situation It will cut down on 80% of your refusals.
Once the coon has committed to the cage It won't back out and they won't climb over the wire. I use cages on most of my trail sets no mater what size trap I use. It just cuts down on your refusals.

Trail trapping with small traps Is a science.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread