Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Muskrat stretching [Re: AJE] #6505514
03/30/19 12:19 PM
03/30/19 12:19 PM
KY
A
AnthonyT Offline
trapper
AnthonyT  Offline
trapper
A

KY
If the fur isn't dry when they go on the stretcher it will look very matted when you pull the hide off the stretcher. I don't catch a lot of rats but they are by far one f my favorite critters to put up - fast to skin, fast to flesh and fast to board. Even with all the humidity we have here in KY rats are usually ready to pull of the stretcher in 3 days. Any more than that and they are tough to take off wood, even with a belly wedge.

Re: Muskrat stretching [Re: AJE] #6507456
04/01/19 12:07 PM
04/01/19 12:07 PM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Hang and let the fur dry and then skin ,flesh and put on the stretcher. I use wire on my rats. ,when I use to ship to NAFA ,I have got top lot use of wire. The thing I see lot that lost money that use wire is that they do not pin the nose in place and let it fall off the end of the wire. They lost some on that . I also see it on furs that show up at my fur buyer I ask him about and he told me he try to explain to them and they do not want to hear it.

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Muskrat stretching [Re: AJE] #6507538
04/01/19 02:34 PM
04/01/19 02:34 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Online content
trapper
The Beav  Online Content
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I have yet to see a commercial wire rat form that Isn't to wide In the neck and shoulder area. And that also goes for your wood commercially made boards. Is that going to cost you money? You bet It will. A 1/4" In width In that area will probably shorten that rat by a 1" or so. I have yet to see a fur buyer measure the width of a rat but they sure do measure for length. And length + fur and leather quality Is going to get you more money.
Un less you add a board to the tail end of your wire form you can't get the skirt squared off. And a rat Is measured from the nose to the shortest part of the rat. So those nice scalloped looking rats skirts are costing you money. And the more you pull when you anchor the tail side and the belly side the shorter the skirt becomes. And clothes pins won't cut It.

The right skinning technique will allow you to place the rat nose over the end of the form and you won't have to pin It. But most of us are bit rough when It comes to the nose of the rat and a pin or nail Is required to hold It In place.
And On wood place your belly wedge In from the nose end. Why would you shove the thinnest part of the wedge Into the part that dries the tightest. That also goes for every critter that goes on wood. In fact on some hides It won't hurt to use 2 wedges one stuck In from either end.

I'll bet the farm that a 18" top lot rat will bring you more money then a 16" top lot rat.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Muskrat stretching [Re: AJE] #6507634
04/01/19 05:31 PM
04/01/19 05:31 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
In the old days when they got lots of 18 inch rats to make that bundle, sadly some of those 16 inchers get into that top lot with the low takes.

On wire when you are pinning the nose with a nail; go through the nose--round the wire----and into an eye socket.- usually takes a 2 1/2 inch nail. Problem solved with roll-overs lips

Re: Muskrat stretching [Re: AJE] #6507804
04/01/19 09:23 PM
04/01/19 09:23 PM
Adirondacks NY
F
Forest Offline
trapper
Forest  Offline
trapper
F

Adirondacks NY
you can use an air compressor to blow the water out of fur if you need to put them up in a hurry and don't have time to let them dry

Paul Smiths Forestry ‘22
Re: Muskrat stretching [Re: AJE] #6508017
04/02/19 08:05 AM
04/02/19 08:05 AM
southwest Alberta .Canada
RKH Offline
trapper
RKH  Offline
trapper

southwest Alberta .Canada
No more hanging rats to dry the fur for me .i just throw them in the tumbler for 10 mins and they are ready to skin ..trapping inc had a video on it a long while ago works awesome

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread