Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6494383
03/18/19 02:00 PM
03/18/19 02:00 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content OP
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content OP
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
At this stage in my experience I look at lure making like cooking, I don't think it's so much magical ingredients but rather how they are used together. You could give me the same ingredients and recipe of apple pie as my grandma but there's not a chance my pie would come close to hers. JMHO at this stage of my knowledge.

Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6494386
03/18/19 02:10 PM
03/18/19 02:10 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I agree. That's why I wonder why the topic of location keeps coming up on the lure making forum over and over again

As like every other thread when the term "can't trap it if it isn't there" comes up. When it comes to attracting animals in general from squirrel to coyote, I really don't get how complicated folks make things out to be. Maybe we have dumb animals but some of the things I see people go through to attract an animal with a scent is crazy. There are lures that are superior to others, no doubt, but if them lures don't work for the individual using them and the animals are walking right by the set and from reading the many posts on commercial lure not panning out for the trapper there are many. How valuable is that recipe? To those who it works for, it might be the golden ticket to others, it's just another bottle on the shelf. Is there really an answer besides you need 30+ years in a bottle to be effective?

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6494391
03/18/19 02:16 PM
03/18/19 02:16 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Trappers aren't feeding people, they're baiting/luring opportunistic animals that are wild. I don't drink the muddy water like some, but I'll agree to disagree because some will continue to hunt for that one recipe that will overcome and conquer all animals. When you find that recipe let the rest of us know.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6494714
03/18/19 07:27 PM
03/18/19 07:27 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
A few thoughts while touching on the topic of locations.

The ability to determine and understand location selection is the result of years of field work, reading, studying photos, watching video examples etc. of info on your target animals. Then applying this gained knowledge in the field. Time will reward your efforts over the years if you keep at your quest.

Learning as much about your specie as you can will provide you with accumulative knowledge that will give you results down the road. Knowing their food sources and preferences at various times of the year are all helpful in knowing where to set.

Good location selection skills have to be learned over an extended period. Lures and baits make all things much easier once you have acquired the skills you need to compute what is a good location according to your skill level.

Random location selection on many different farms or ranches does take some skill and experience. Knowing what to look for as far as travel lanes and hunting haunts, topographical guides/funnels, natural barriers are some basic keys and guidelines when cold rolling in new areas.

Trapping draw stations that exist or some that you have developed will allow you to make your own draw location.

Locate as many naturally existing dump or replenished draw stations in farm and ranch country and you will significantly increase your harvest at these draw stations over cold rolling areas.

Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6494874
03/18/19 09:35 PM
03/18/19 09:35 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
At the end of the day if the material you are testing is getting the results from the desired animals you are targeting through out the year consistently, it makes not one difference who made the bait/lure or if it has ingredients that have been aged for X amount of years. The folks I deal with just want to trap the animal. They aren't interested in the dynamics or whether it's X formula and aged in the ground or in an incubator or any other trade secret process. Testing for yourself instead of relying on what others say for ingredients is worth the time and effort

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the the only magic I'm aware of. Long days in the bait and lure room along with wearing out the soles on the gofasters by putting many miles on them through out the year testing.
[Linked Image]

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Forest] #6498917
03/23/19 05:41 PM
03/23/19 05:41 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Forest
He sure takes some bashing from some folks on this forum.

For some reason, a lot people cannot stand to see someone else be successful.

Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6499209
03/24/19 04:21 AM
03/24/19 04:21 AM
Indiana
L
lureintheanimal Offline
trapper
lureintheanimal  Offline
trapper
L

Indiana
Clint is A Good 'Ole Boy, He is a Trapper , that makes Clint 'A Better Man' than most folks out there in this country , I give him a pat on the back .

Last edited by lureintheanimal; 03/24/19 04:22 AM.

vis vitalis
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: lureintheanimal] #6503895
03/28/19 07:37 PM
03/28/19 07:37 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
X2

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6503973
03/28/19 09:30 PM
03/28/19 09:30 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
I must have missed something in this thread. I started out reading about a fellow trapper that saw a video made by another trapper that is also a lure maker and wanting to tell others in this community that it made him happy and he picked up some knowledge. I will be the first to admit I know virtually nothing about trapping and absolutely nothing about lure making. I honestly may never be interested in making lure. I have only successfully trapped some coons and I am not good at that yet. I am fortunate that a lifetime of hard work has put me in a situation where I can do things I want to do and am interested in and frankly make me happy. My intention is to as proficient as I can become at predator and water trapping. I have spent countless hours watching videos both on the web and ones I have purchased. I have read a lot both here and books and articles and on the web. I spend a lot of time in the woods and always have but my pursuits were more geared toward hunting. I already know how to track but frankly never looked at tracks to try to figure out why an animal was doing what it was doing. It's all about learning. It's work but more fun or should be. I learn every time I go out. Be it success or failure it's still fun and a learning experience. I inshore fish quite a bit on the Gulf Coast and do it around and with some of the best in the business. We share ideas and spots and are constantly learning and supporting one another. Nothing we do is ever considered competition and we respect each other. I deal with a lot of charter captains and regularly put them on fish for their clients. They give me info when I am taking someone out. Anyway. I'm happy for ya that you liked the video and learned something new. Maybe someday that knowledge will help me out. But more so I hope it helps you. That's what makes it all worth doing.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6508337
04/02/19 03:57 PM
04/02/19 03:57 PM
NORTH CAROLINA
Trapper73 Offline
trapper
Trapper73  Offline
trapper

NORTH CAROLINA
Has anyone watched Nick wyshinski.
Lure and making dvd.
Any good information.
What thanking about
His or johnny thrope,clint locklear,
Got to decide which one i want.
Thanks

Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6508831
04/03/19 07:23 AM
04/03/19 07:23 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Believe it or not, the majority of what you're reading on these forums are little snippets from books and dvds taken from the customer and applied to these threads, but with many of their own adjustments. If there is something that is worth noting in them books and dvd's, I'm sure it's already here or on the web. I've watched a few and read a bunch and I continue to see the same answers from the books and dvds given when a question is asked on how to do something or what ingredients work with X. I watch them because I find the individuals themselves interesting not because they give out secrets, because from what I've seen and read there isn't anything given out in them books and dvds that hasn't already been discussed on trapping and outdoor forums. I think you'll like whatever you decide.

Smile, you're an expert!
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: TDHP] #6585166
07/31/19 04:21 PM
07/31/19 04:21 PM
Northern Illinois
MuddyMike Offline
trapper
MuddyMike  Offline
trapper

Northern Illinois
I got clints bait dvd last year at the beginning of season and as a trapper that wanted to dabble in the bait making and lure making that video had a ton of useful info that I had not found on this forum or elsewhere. ive watched it probably 5 times and still get something out of it each time. I have nicks books and they are good as well but I do better with verbal learning and watching someone more than I do from reading a book.

Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6585599
08/01/19 08:40 AM
08/01/19 08:40 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
The amount of information given today compared to back in the 80's when I started is unbelievable. back then I just listened and put little things together as I would hear bait and lure makers talk. They knew they was giving out little things, and I was listening, and they knew it was up to me to decode the information. Trying things, doing this and that, many blown up jars and a lot of money went into those first products that really worked. testing and retesting. The learning curve is a lot easier now, And I will say I still am learning every day. some products can be made fast and when done right will last years other products need to set for years to really get a good thing that last and produces. I am a firm believer in learning from others and then applying that to what I know. I will buy vids and books, I will take instructions every chance IO get because I know that adding the knowledge that someone else has to what I know only makes me better in understanding. I will confess that in the lure and bait making game my old school mindset of loose lips sink ships is still very real LOL but opening up some LOL The new folks, there is a lot of information given on this site for free. little things that when you put them together result can come but you have to look and think. even the vids and books the real secrets that person has will not be spelled out, they will give a quick mention and move on. when I am listening to folks like Paul or Bob and others I try to pick up on the quick comment and then they move on. that is where the real rubber meets the road. and then think on it and try to figure it out. They knew they threw out a little gem it is up to the listener to build on it.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6585643
08/01/19 09:34 AM
08/01/19 09:34 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
I've said it before.."I can pee on a dirthole set in the right location and catch a coyote."

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6585655
08/01/19 10:17 AM
08/01/19 10:17 AM
10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
I've said it before.."I can pee on a dirthole set in the right location and catch a coyote."
Especially at the dead pile in a large feedlot

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Re: Lure and bait making dvd [Re: Yes sir] #6585784
08/01/19 01:34 PM
08/01/19 01:34 PM
N.C MO
T
TONY.F Offline
trapper
TONY.F  Offline
trapper
T

N.C MO
As long as the secret in a bottle mind set exsists bait and lure makers will have a job!. Jonesie you nailed it but how many realize a gems been tossed out, or will do something with that gem once discovered! Dealing with the public most of my adult life has me realizing the world is full of do it for me people! Certain people you can tell how and they still would rather have it done for them. Be it time money or lazy.Thats good for the pros they will always have a job.

LIVE LIFE LIKE THEIR IS NO TOMMORROW
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91