Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Xtratuf boots? [Re: beaver trapper] #6519280
04/16/19 12:34 AM
04/16/19 12:34 AM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

Orergon
Exactly

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Xtratuf boots? [Re: mad_mike] #6519294
04/16/19 01:54 AM
04/16/19 01:54 AM
Lake Iliamna Ak
watarrat Offline
trapper
watarrat  Offline
trapper

Lake Iliamna Ak
Originally Posted by mad_mike
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
I have a love hate relationship with them. I like the comfort ,light weight and traction in a boat. That said.I hate that they fit so tight that you can't tuck coverall cuffs in the boot ,so you have to drag them around in the bilge,or mud. Sticks and stobs pierce them fairly easy as well.

There in lies the rub. They are not terrible enough at everything to not wear them.

Nailed it!!! I just got a new pair in the mail today,,,tuff tucking day one!!!

Re: Xtratuf boots? [Re: beaver trapper] #6519641
04/16/19 03:43 PM
04/16/19 03:43 PM
Maryland
A
Antarctica Offline
trapper
Antarctica  Offline
trapper
A

Maryland
Had a pair (xtra-tufs) given to me years ago that fit in the foot well, but I can barely get them over my calves. Maybe they are a women's pair or something. I see people wear them around with pants tucked in and think they must have some spindly little legs (and I'm by no means an abnormally large build).

I had to buy something with air miles (so I didn't lose them) in December. I picked up a pair of neoprene topped Itasca boots from sierra trading. Pants fit in and super comfortable. I don't think they'll last but for $50 I love 'em. They look like a muck knock-off. The only thing I don't like about them is I'm usually running a longer saw (25") with them on and compared to a steel toe, I'm sure a saw would go through them like butta'.

Re: Xtratuf boots? [Re: beaver trapper] #6520307
04/17/19 06:38 PM
04/17/19 06:38 PM
Aroostook county, Maine
B
beaver trapper Offline OP
trapper
beaver trapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

Aroostook county, Maine
How do they stand up in terms of abrasion resistance? I spend my days with snowshoes on my feet in the winter. 8-10 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. I have issues with snowshoe bi songs wearing holes in boots. How would the xtratufs hold up to that?

Thanks

Wilderness, in a word, is freedom
Re: Xtratuf boots? [Re: beaver trapper] #6520358
04/17/19 07:58 PM
04/17/19 07:58 PM
ak
nooksack Offline
trapper
nooksack  Offline
trapper

ak
Hiked many springtime miles on a pair of Tubbs snowshoes in xtratuffs. Those are ratchet strap wrap around bindings so they don't wear on the boot too much. However worked great as a snowshoe boot for me.
The insulated ones are much easier to tear holes in, and will crack where the sole and upper meet near the ball of your foot. When you get a hole in insulated ones its best to patch them right away before you fill the insulation with water. It will never dry completly making it much more difficult to patch.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman