No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Highs, lows and lessons learned #6513284
04/08/19 07:13 PM
04/08/19 07:13 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT
Every season has them. Highs for me would be the new snares holding a wolverine and doing the job on lynx but more than anything I really enjoyed running my town traps with my kids. We only had one stop compared to 6-7 i set most years but many times we picked up 2-3 lynx from just a few sets including Morgan’s first catches. Lows would be the variety of skidoo trouble (enough said) and getting sick in December and losing productivity for a long stretch. I learned to slow down and just do whT I’m doing at any given time instead of trying to cram too much into a day and end up rushing through stuff at times. How bout you fellas?

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513285
04/08/19 07:17 PM
04/08/19 07:17 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I don't think I learned anything this season.Shut down early for management reasons as well as tough snow conditions and the market.Lots of other trappers here did the same.
I did get a lot quicker on the Bonis fur machine by sewing plates.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513306
04/08/19 07:44 PM
04/08/19 07:44 PM
DILLON,MT
4TATER Offline
trapper
4TATER  Offline
trapper

DILLON,MT
Highs- watching my son run his own trap line and have a very productive bobcat trapping season. Having my wife and daughter spend some time on my trap lines with me was priceless. Lows- watching Mother Nature really put the shut down on my trapping activities during the month of February. Lessons- just like you Ryan, learning to slow down and enjoy my lines with family and friends. Best season I’ve had in many years.

Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513311
04/08/19 07:51 PM
04/08/19 07:51 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Pretty good highs so far fellas. And lows, well what goes up, must come down I suppose. For me the high was catching my first coyotes, getting what I consider to be an adequate beaver trapper. Low would be the damper the February late winter put on the line. Didn't stop me completely, just really limited the places I could trap. Lessons learned? Too many to count. One that comes to mind immediately is that beaver runs can be a lot deeper than you think and are REALLY cold when you break through and fill your waders.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513324
04/08/19 08:09 PM
04/08/19 08:09 PM
Northern Maine
Jeremiah Wood Offline
trapper
Jeremiah Wood  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Highs - having enough snow to run the marten/fisher line on snowmobile for the first time (Nov-Dec season). Setting a small side line near home with my two boys (age 6 and 3), we caught a couple weasels and a fisher - a first for them, and I think they may be catching the trapping bug!
Lows - early season health issues, then wading through snow, shoveling snow, chipping ice, and wading through more snow!!

Lessons Learned - too many to count as well. Probably the biggest lesson was the need to be flexible and shift locations mid season. Too many changing variables here to have a fixed set of trap locations. Catch and move, catch and move. It's more work, but I think more productive as well. And I learned that sometimes the toughest seasons turn out to be the most memorable.

Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513326
04/08/19 08:16 PM
04/08/19 08:16 PM
North Carolina
JoeRJr Offline
trapper
JoeRJr  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
This was my first season trapping. I worked hard catching a pair of beavers and a pair of coyotes(and a few other critters too). I learned a lot of what NOT to do. I did catch a black yote that defied being caught for several weeks, and gained a few more properties to trap. For a first season I did OK.
Joe

Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513555
04/09/19 05:51 AM
04/09/19 05:51 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
highs had one of the guys off here come trap for a week was lots of fun ,high had wife an grand daughter with me on winter line ,high didn't get hurt ,an put up some fur ,low too much rain -snow early on in season an then to much snow, way to much snow did I say t,o much snow

Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513605
04/09/19 07:46 AM
04/09/19 07:46 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Offline
trapper
k snow  Offline
trapper
K

east central WI
My high this year was definitely catching my first otter, while my wife was with me. Lows, the weather sucked, but not much we can do about that. Lessons learned, how to trap in the rain, snow, sleet, freeze, thaw, repeat cycle we had.

Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513703
04/09/19 10:32 AM
04/09/19 10:32 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
this morning i learned the bear are back out and i need new suet feeders before next winter. grin

Re: Highs, lows and lessons learned [Re: Ryan McLeod] #6513786
04/09/19 12:54 PM
04/09/19 12:54 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
High was being retired for the first hunting and trapping season. Caught my biggest beaver to date and it was in a snare. Was nice drinking a cup of coffee to wake up with no pressure of work and taking the wife along to check traps and snares. The look on her face when we pulled up on a double on coyotes in the Rhino and the 41 pound male in a stare down with her. Finding this website and upgrading equipment and getting new ideas because I had been out of the loop for awhile.

Lows, having 3 otters or the same one three times pull out of a victor 220. Maybe not a low but lesson learned about muscle torpedo's. I guess not many lows, almost died Easter Sunday 2010 of a heart attack, so I am very glad to be around for a high or a low.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread