No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Do fisher kill lynx? [Re: ebsurveyor] #6513455
04/08/19 10:53 PM
04/08/19 10:53 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
Any critter that kills house cats is OK in my book!

Re: Do fisher kill lynx? [Re: ebsurveyor] #6514271
04/09/19 10:26 PM
04/09/19 10:26 PM
Georgia
W
Wiz Offline
trapper
Wiz  Offline
trapper
W

Georgia
I had read the full note when it was first published as an early view in the Journal of Wildlife Management and just reviewed it again. Based on reported results on tooth measurements on the skulls, necks, throats of the dead lynx, there seems to be pretty strong evidence that these lynx were not scavenged by fishers but rather killed by them.

I think its important to note that the authors specifically say that trapping restrictions are limiting fisher harvest and they go on to recommend modifying the harvest of fishers if fisher predation on lynx is affecting lynx populations. This will require additional monitoring that may already be part of the Incidental Take Permit requirements. This is an important piece of peer-reviewed literature that represents the best available science. Might not be the best science but its available which is the key part as far as any potential modifications to the ITP or future regulations as part of the ESA. As it has already been said, fishers have killed 5 times as many lynx in this 12 year study than trappers are allowed to incidentally take in 10 years. Seems as though this study is some ammunition that trappers can use in the future.

Did anyone catch that Defenders of Wildlife were one of the groups that helped fund the project?

Re: Do fisher kill lynx? [Re: ebsurveyor] #6514684
04/10/19 12:22 PM
04/10/19 12:22 PM
Northwest Territories
M
muskrat411 Offline
trapper
muskrat411  Offline
trapper
M

Northwest Territories
How come Donald Trump is such a hippie? I thought you Yankees elected him to reduce the size of Government and get rid of all these dumb regulations. I figured Marine Mammal Protection Act would be low hanging fruit that he would have traded for Inupiat support of ANWAR by now. Less government = less Hippies.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread