No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6511729
04/06/19 09:40 PM
04/06/19 09:40 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Is there any reason you run both 11s and 1.5s? Which one would you pick if you had to choose? Im not exactly sure what you mean by "wrapping an 11 around the edge of the pocket" or "putting the pan of my 1.5 that way".

Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6512480
04/07/19 07:10 PM
04/07/19 07:10 PM
Minnesota
G
Gerald Schmitt Offline
trapper
Gerald Schmitt  Offline
trapper
G

Minnesota
Did not read all the replies, but I would like to mention one thing that may not seem like much, but I think it is important. For myself, when digging lots of pockets and running lots of traps, using the same trap at every set makes me faster and more efficient at making sets. The trap you use (#11 vs 1 1/2 coil for example) will or should dictate the size of the pocket you make. Standardized equipment will allow you to use your time on the trapline most effectively. Time saved putting sets in will allow you to set more traps.

Re: Best mink traps [Re: LLtrapper] #6512498
04/07/19 07:26 PM
04/07/19 07:26 PM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
Originally Posted by Mac
LLtrapper wrote:
If you know anything about setting a pocket for mink you could not make the statement you did about bedding them. LLL

Can you explain what you mean please? Always learning. Thanks

The big pan is fine but is truly not as necessary as where the very tip of whatever trap you are using is in the right spot. You can wrap a #11 around the edge of the pocket and be right where it needs to be. I catch an overwhelming amount of mink by the left front foot when I put my pan of my 1.5 coil that way. LLL

Now that is interesting, why the left front foot? I use 1 1/2 coils, make a pocket the same size as the trap and stick it in the opening. I still get a lot of hind foot catches, and I usually have no bait or scent so I don't catch otter or coon.

Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6512529
04/07/19 07:58 PM
04/07/19 07:58 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I want to catch the mink before It even thinks about entering the pocket. I want to catch those mink that stand just outside the entrance but refuse to enter. It's all about the ones you miss not the ones you catch.
I may be a bit off but I'm thinking 50% or more mink never enter a pocket set. Keep that trap outside that entrance and set It so the mink will come in between the jaws. Most mink are traveling along the bank anyway. Place the loose jaw at the edge of pocket entrance. And place a guide stick right at the dog. This In theory will catch the mink when It's Investigating the pocket.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Best mink traps [Re: The Beav] #6512613
04/07/19 09:09 PM
04/07/19 09:09 PM
Northern WI
L
Line Jumper Offline
trapper
Line Jumper  Offline
trapper
L

Northern WI
Originally Posted by The Beav
I want to catch the mink before It even thinks about entering the pocket. I want to catch those mink that stand just outside the entrance but refuse to enter. It's all about the ones you miss not the ones you catch.
I may be a bit off but I'm thinking 50% or more mink never enter a pocket set. Keep that trap outside that entrance and set It so the mink will come in between the jaws. Most mink are traveling along the bank anyway. Place the loose jaw at the edge of pocket entrance. And place a guide stick right at the dog. This In theory will catch the mink when It's Investigating the pocket.

Thanks Beav, I am sure I miss some, I can see where a bigger trap would help setting that way, I still don't get the left foot catch.. One thing I have learned over the years is you have to have a lot of mink to catch a lot of mink.

Re: Best mink traps [Re: upstateNY] #6512627
04/07/19 09:22 PM
04/07/19 09:22 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by k9-hunter
I like 120 conibears never missed a mink yet in one
LOL,,,that you know of.You would be surprised how many mink walk right through a conibear.

Longest lines I ever ran were for mink in Michigan back in the late 70's and early 80's. Paid for college with nice prices on red fox and mink. Those were the days!
I still have boxes of 120's set with the MacKenzie wires and micro ferrules on the triggers. Doug M. used to play a video of a mink running through a 110 conibear 30+ times before it fired. Made a believer outta me and I put the wires on the 110's as upstate NY was discussing.
The world was setting pocket sets then and I found that not too many were trapping deep runs OR land trails. No coon to speak of with this system.
Your daughter will need setters for conis wink

Last edited by Mark June; 04/07/19 09:23 PM.
Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6512676
04/07/19 10:13 PM
04/07/19 10:13 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Catching mink aint rocket science.I'm with line jumper-If you got a lot of mink you will catch a lot if you have the ethic.Same goes for all furbearers.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Best mink traps [Re: Line Jumper] #6512762
04/08/19 12:30 AM
04/08/19 12:30 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Line Jumper

Thanks Beav, I am sure I miss some, I can see where a bigger trap would help setting that way, I still don't get the left foot catch.. One thing I have learned over the years is you have to have a lot of mink to catch a lot of mink.

I don't understand this left foot either.

Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6512771
04/08/19 01:32 AM
04/08/19 01:32 AM
Maryland
S
SwampFox Offline
trapper
SwampFox  Offline
trapper
S

Maryland
X2 what line jumper and Boco said...if they are there and I do my part, then I will catch mink. The BEST area I have ever seen for mink was Hamilton County, TN (I trapped the Northern part...north of Chattanooga). I would say it was about 50/50 for legholds and conibears. A WHOLE lot of mink (and other critters).

X2 what Mark June said about wires and ferrules for conibears. I believe they make a BIG difference in catching more mink

X2 what the beav said about catching mink "before" they get into the pocket set. I didn't want them messing the pocket up, if possible. Majority of time drowning wire rigged. Wanted them to see the "hole" and get interested and caught as soon as possible. I think them seeing the hole triggers their instinct to check it out. I have used lure and muskrat for pocket sets. Half a muskrat was more effective in my experience, UNTIL a mink was caught and sprayed the area up. This was the most ABSOLUTE best for mink at pockets!!! In my experience.
X2 what the beav said about "stepping sticks". I learned this trapping mink in TN. Watching them walk blind sets in creeks where I could see their tracks (mud) and not get caught. I believe properly placed sticks make a BIG difference in blind, pocket sets etc. when setting for mink with leghold traps.

I also believe in expanded pans, whether it is Wild River, Barker's (sorry been up all night) or the top from a tin can (done the right way). I believe that the "more" surface area (within reason) then the more it increases the catch. I believe they make a big difference and that reminds me I need 2 dozen Wild River pans for some new for me (used) traps.

I have caught mink in one of two ways: catching them in blind sets (them just doing their mink thing and all I do is set a trap and stepping stick, if not using a conibear) or bringing them to my traps (pockets sets and sometimes what I call a "fencing" blind set). Where I do my best to direct them to my trap and get caught. Wide areas they travel on edge of creeks/rivers and I will put sticks in ground with a "gap and a trap" ( sometimes 110s mostly legholds) AND stepping sticks on both sides when setting legholds.

Since the OP was talking mink, then I will say I still like the #2 Victor CS with expanded pan. I know what can happen with coon. Caught way more then I lost. Had it happen, however talking mink, it catchs them high and often times with both feet (at their shoulders). In shallow or deep they are drowned. Other areas still dead (where legal). My thoughts are it is high enough to kill them humanely and it does.

I would say (for mink) #2 Victor CS with expanded pans and 110 conibear with wire. In my experience, if they are there, then these are my choices. To me each trap is like a tool and if possible, then I want the correct tool for the job. Very important. I do understand the efficiency of standardized trapping. Did that down south. Very effective. I would catch myself saying I wish I had that trap, etc. I do things a little different now. I still believe each trap is a tool and I use them accordingly.

Thanks OP for the topic. Thanks to all who commented. I really like threads like this. It is appreciated.

P.S. I love trapping mink!!! It fires me up.

God bless and happy trails. Swampfox

Last edited by Swampfox; 04/08/19 03:32 AM. Reason: My typing skills!?!
Re: Best mink traps [Re: Gerald Schmitt] #6512812
04/08/19 05:30 AM
04/08/19 05:30 AM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
Originally Posted by Gerald Schmitt
Did not read all the replies, but I would like to mention one thing that may not seem like much, but I think it is important. For myself, when digging lots of pockets and running lots of traps, using the same trap at every set makes me faster and more efficient at making sets. The trap you use (#11 vs 1 1/2 coil for example) will or should dictate the size of the pocket you make. Standardized equipment will allow you to use your time on the trapline most effectively. Time saved putting sets in will allow you to set more traps.

I would listen to this guy when it comes to mink trapping.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Best mink traps [Re: Cameron Kelsey] #6512880
04/08/19 08:03 AM
04/08/19 08:03 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by Cameron Kelsey
Originally Posted by Gerald Schmitt

I would listen to this guy when it comes to mink trapping.

I agree. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Best mink traps [Re: The Beav] #6512940
04/08/19 09:20 AM
04/08/19 09:20 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA

OK I will try to unpack a few things for you beav. You say you want to catch the mink before it ever enters the pocket. Do you have any coon around? I do.

You said you want to catch the ones who do not enter the pocket. I am sure that there may be an out liar there but if a pocket is baited and is dug correctly the overwhelming majority will enter the pocket.

You say use a guide stick at the dog. If the trap is placed in the right sized pocket for the trap there is no need for or room for a "guide stick".

As far as a left front foot, well. I cannot explain why this is but I can only say it does when I set a trap to catch mink.

My pocket for mink has a pocket that will fit the trap. The dog will be on the right side with the levers turned counter clockwise making sure the levers pushed into the side of the pocket locking it in place. By doing this you expose the very tip of the pan which is the most sensitive to the foot of the mink. This is with a coil spring which I do use exclusively because I have a lot of coon here too.

A #11 can be used in the same way only you place one lever and the jaws of the trap in and turn slightly counter clock wise.

Again the left foot thing sounds funny but if you have caught many mink and you pay attention you know what I am talking about right Mike Kelly?

Catching mink is not rocket science. It is just a game of inches if that much.

I have said enough for now. LLL

[Linked Image]

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6514443
04/10/19 08:28 AM
04/10/19 08:28 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Just wish they were worth more. The new brown possum. LLL

Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6514542
04/10/19 09:42 AM
04/10/19 09:42 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
The selling point of the wild river pan isn't the increased kill zone, although it helps.

Beav, up here in God's country where it tends to freeze many nights, you will be putting Tha trap at least partially into the hole

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6514553
04/10/19 09:54 AM
04/10/19 09:54 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I'm still standing by my outside the entrance placement. If the mink approaches my pocket It's going to step In the trap before It enters the pocket and I have It.

It's my experience If that hole doesn't go any where then there Is no reason for the mink to enter the hole.

The other thing I like to do Is dig my pocket above the water line. It all depends on the bank but about 2" to 3 " works for me. It Is easier to dig the pocket and a small bit of water fluctuation won't put your set out of operation. It also gives you set a bit more eye appeal.

There are tons of bank situations where you have a good location but the height of bank won't allow you to dig a pocket. Of coarse you can make a blind set but In most cases I just take my tile spade and wallow out a slot In the bank. Kind of like when your planting pine tree seedling's. Place you bait (half a rat carcass) In the slot and just kick It shut. I will guarantee that a mink will find this bait and work that set.

In this fur market I don't see why you would want to avoid catching coon when those coon are worth twice what a mink will bring.
My placement catches the mink whether It goes In the pocket or It doesn't But If your trap placement at the pocket Is catching mink then that's what you need to do.

Re: Best mink traps [Re: The Beav] #6514619
04/10/19 11:07 AM
04/10/19 11:07 AM
NC
C
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper
Carolina Foxer  Offline
trapper
C

NC
I'm still standing by my outside the entrance placement. If the mink approaches my pocket It's going to step In the trap before It enters the pocket and I have It.

It's my experience If that hole doesn't go any where then there Is no reason for the mink to enter the hole.

The other thing I like to do Is dig my pocket above the water line. It all depends on the bank but about 2" to 3 " works for me. It Is easier to dig the pocket and a small bit of water fluctuation won't put your set out of operation. It also gives you set a bit more eye appeal.

There are tons of bank situations where you have a good location but the height of bank won't allow you to dig a pocket. Of coarse you can make a blind set but In most cases I just take my tile spade and wallow out a slot In the bank. Kind of like when your planting pine tree seedling's. Place you bait (half a rat carcass) In the slot and just kick It shut. I will guarantee that a mink will find this bait and work that set.

In this fur market I don't see why you would want to avoid catching coon when those coon are worth twice what a mink will bring.
My placement catches the mink whether It goes In the pocket or It doesn't But If your trap placement at the pocket Is catching mink then that's what you need to do.

So the won't enter a baited pocket set if the hole doesn't go anywhere, but it will guaranteed work a filled in slot? Isn't that the 'same difference'?

Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6514734
04/10/19 01:40 PM
04/10/19 01:40 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Not really since there Is no hole and the slot Is vertical not horizontal. And In some cases the bait will be exposed right at the edge of the bank and the mink can access It with out going In to a hole. It's right out In front of the mink.
And If that mink wants that bait he has to work for It and that gets It moving around giving you a better chance of It stepping on the pan. It also works great for as coon set.
It's fast easy and you don't have to get down on your knees to dig a hole In the bank.

Re: Best mink traps [Re: The Beav] #6514855
04/10/19 04:32 PM
04/10/19 04:32 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA

By your comments I can tell you have never trapped in real coon country. I try not to catch mink until Thanksgiving and not after I have knocked down the coon a bit. Do you honestly think I pass on coon? A trap bedded in shallow enough water around here to catch a mink will be rumbled over, flipped, pulled over, well before a mink ever came by. You will miss way more mink on the outside of your pocket then I will the mink that do not enter a baited pocket with a trap placed properly (tight) in a pocket around here. Coon will still get arm caught and reach over the trap but that is a issue for another thread. LLL

Re: Best mink traps [Re: gdccowboy] #6514880
04/10/19 05:05 PM
04/10/19 05:05 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
LOl never trapped In real coon country.