No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Old OMC outboards #6515110
04/10/19 09:51 PM
04/10/19 09:51 PM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline OP
trapper
10bands  Offline OP
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
The other day a friend said, "You have boats, do you know anything about old outboards?" grin I grinned like that when he told me it was a '76 Johnson 9.9 that was handed down. It hadn't run in 15+ years and I got to take it home today to revive it. I grew up with a '65 9 1/2 and helped my dad maintain it as a kid. I have owned a few other older Johnsons and Evinrudes since. They were always good motors but these days I've gone fancy and have four strokes and one E-TEC except for a '96 Johnson 48 horse that refuses to do anything but run just right.

Anyway I got this one home, pulled the plugs and sprayed some stuff in the cylinders so they weren't totally dry, put the plugs back in, got new gas and started pulling. After a couple sputters and a dozen or so pulls it fired up and ran until I decided the water pump wasn't working and shut it off. Not surprising that the pump impeller would be bad and I was going to get a new one anyway.

Listening to this one run makes me want my old Johnsons and Evinrudes back.

Re: Old OMC outboards [Re: 10bands] #6515161
04/10/19 10:29 PM
04/10/19 10:29 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
I don't think you can beat older OMCs for durability and ease of repair.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread