No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6518995
04/15/19 06:36 PM
04/15/19 06:36 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I'm self educating myself for when do gooders propose this nonsense here. Maybe, I can be the guy to kill it.

I figured you would not answer my question honestly.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: Dirt] #6519002
04/15/19 06:43 PM
04/15/19 06:43 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirt
I'm self educating myself for when do gooders propose this nonsense here. Maybe, I can be the guy to kill it.

I figured you would not answer my question honestly.

Well, have at it Mr. None of My Business. We all have our aspirations and goals in life.

I'll continue educating newcomers to trapping, and you continue self educating yourself.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519017
04/15/19 07:01 PM
04/15/19 07:01 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
That is great that you volunteer to educate newcomers, not so great that it was you who made it mandatory.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: Dirt] #6519025
04/15/19 07:07 PM
04/15/19 07:07 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirt
That is great that you volunteer to educate newcomers, not so great that it was you who made it mandatory.

Wasn't just me. I submitted the resolution to the Conservation Congress. Before that, and after that, there was a team at work to make this happen.

There were legislators to bring on board. And there was the signature of the governor required to make it law.

I didn't make it mandatory.

And that was over 25 years ago.

Why the heartburn now?

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: Moosetrot] #6519233
04/15/19 10:18 PM
04/15/19 10:18 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
You have to realize that there is the high potential of a ton of people having provided input that had very little idea of how their decisions impact their waterfowl seasons... That is what scares me about online input. Unfortunately I think that movement is accelerating and growing. Their input is merely seen as numbers.

Originally Posted by 50fps
JMO, but I feel the spring hearing is critical in getting information out via discussion.

If I am hearing you correctly, this is the biggest concern with online. Folks are allowed to provide input without all the information?

But why would someone have less information if they can figure out how to vote online? Or asked a different way, then why would we allow folks to fill out a questionnaire without sitting through the whole meeting? Do we need a mandatory test out option?

I didn't need to attend the WTA membership meeting or the spring hearing to know how the WTA membership wanted me to vote on the trapping questions. Didn't take me very long to figure out why if I was unsure. The thread "Beaver Logic" on this very forum might have even played a role in some of those questions. Nobody is going to claim the WTA is exactly cutting edge on the technology front.

Now take the reduction of the walleye bag limit on the Winnebago system. I have no idea if it was supported or rejected in Winnebago county this year, but I will say this. I am not worried one bit that anyone from Winnebago County that provided their input (online or in person) wasn't informed. The DNR held multiple standing room only meetings across this area for two years.

[Linked Image]
BTW, that is a picture from a local guide at one of those meetings held in Winnebago County. If I compare the size of this one meeting to our CC meeting attendance, we appear to be missing lots of folks. He had ~200 comment discussing the proposed change on his FB page alone.

The DNR was invited to and attended all kinds of club meetings to discuss the science. They covered a wide range of things like:
http://walleyesfortomorrow.org/2017-18-winnebago-system-walleye-report/
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/do...innebago2018BottomTrawlingAssessment.pdf

This lead to all kinds of discussions online. For example:
https://www.lake-link.com/forums/wi...eportsOnly=0&startDate=&endDate=

A local business did a video on shocking walleyes and it spawned into more discussion on the rule proposal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IzZebwbAw

A little more old school, there was articles in periodicals:
https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/04...em-walleye-plan-drop-bag-limit-5-3-fish/
https://www.greenbaypressgazette.co...-help-weather-boom-bust-years/429158002/

Which led to even more discussions on platforms like FB and in coffee shops across town. By the time folks took the time to fill out question 16 on their online input, there was very few that hadn't heard every argument for and against three times. Frankly, I would be more worried about anyone that needed to come to our meeting to learn how to vote. It would be like telling folks that they can't just vote for a presidential candidate on election day...they have to sit and listen to all the other voters first.

Now I get that might seem like the impossible to some smaller counties or less known topics, but your target is much smaller and more easily obtained. Those lengthy and sometimes heated discussions that you say you miss, are still happening. The location has just changed. IMO, the only question is if the congress wants to get back out front leading them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519338
04/16/19 06:42 AM
04/16/19 06:42 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
How many fisherman do you think are making an effort to dig up information on muskrat seasons?
I don’t buy a fishing license and don’t go out of my way to figure out how to vote, fishing. I just go to the meeting and expect the passionate folks to influence me. If no one helps i always vote towards what I perceive as opportunity and against what sounds like loss.

Maybe I should pass on the subject of unfamiliarity? Bet that don’t happen often.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519348
04/16/19 06:58 AM
04/16/19 06:58 AM
chelsea,wi
keets Offline
trapper
keets  Offline
trapper

chelsea,wi
same way I vote

2021 goals....make time to trap
PROUD MEMBER WTA NTA FTA GOA SPORTSMANS ALLIANCE
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519350
04/16/19 07:01 AM
04/16/19 07:01 AM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
If I don't have a dog in the fight, I don't vote on that issue. Although, after listening to the discussions there were some issues that I voted on that I would not have if I hadn't been able to hear the discussions.

Last edited by 8117 Steve R; 04/16/19 07:05 AM.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519391
04/16/19 07:56 AM
04/16/19 07:56 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
If I hear you right, coming to the meeting was the easiest way to cut through the noise on a topic. If you saw clarity on a topic, you provided your input. If the question pertained to you, you were more likely to provide your input. Let's build our on this as I am not sure those providing their input online are any different.

What things make a question pertain to you?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: WIMarshRAT] #6519410
04/16/19 08:27 AM
04/16/19 08:27 AM
West coast Wisconsin
50fps Offline
trapper
50fps  Offline
trapper

West coast Wisconsin
The online input be it from the uninformed or informed is just a back door for the anti agenda group IMO. Yes we may have the ability to out vote them on occasion, but what happens when they are organized enough to change the game?

That is my concern.

I agree one can get a lot of information through forums, websites and online discussion groups, but how does one determine if it is factual without seeing or discussing both sides of the coin?

Last edited by 50fps; 04/16/19 08:28 AM.
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: nimzy] #6519429
04/16/19 08:56 AM
04/16/19 08:56 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by nimzy
If no one helps i always vote towards what I perceive as opportunity and against what sounds like loss.

So on the reduction to the 3 bag limit on the Winnebago system you voted against it?

Fishing is different than a consumptive sport like trapping/hunting.
With catch and release one can enjoy the resource all day long and not have to stop after they catch their limit with no effect on the resource.

I would argue that in fishing that lowering the bag limits is a good thing. It gives a better opportunity to all rather than benefiting a few.
Musky fishing is a good example, how many serious Musky fisherman keep every legal fish they catch. Most release the vast majority of fish they catch. Is Musky fishing better because of it?

So much in the fishing regulations are not about enjoying or improving the resource, its about greed, how many fish can I keep or how much money can I make off it.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519450
04/16/19 09:23 AM
04/16/19 09:23 AM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Yes. I perceived loss.

Greed? What is greed? To me its a derogatory term that gets tossed around when all reasonable arguments become exhausted. Nature is consumptive use, trophy is a human institution.

I don't fish but can reasonably assume that catch and release isn't completely harmless, without mortality/waste?

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519489
04/16/19 10:24 AM
04/16/19 10:24 AM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
Greedy? Of course none of us are greedy, its only the other fellow that is greedy. Reminds me of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: nimzy] #6519499
04/16/19 10:41 AM
04/16/19 10:41 AM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Yes. I perceived loss.

Greed? What is greed? To me its a derogatory term that gets tossed around when all reasonable arguments become exhausted. Nature is consumptive use, trophy is a human institution.

I don't fish but can reasonably assume that catch and release isn't completely harmless, without mortality/waste?

This pertains to Mile Lacs MN.

https://www.twincities.com/2016/05/27/mille-lacs-walleye-fishing-hooking-mortality-study/

Of course fish have mortality from catch and release.

The DNR estimates how many will die based on a statistical model developed following a similar study conducted in 2003 and 2004. That study concluded the following:

The warmer the water, the more fish die from hooking mortality, especially when water temps get above 70 degrees.
Small fish and large fish die more often than medium-length walleyes.
Fish hooked with live bait die more often than those hooked with artificial lures.
Hooking mortality ranges from nearly zero during ice fishing to as high as 20 percent in a summer heat wave, although theoretically it keeps increasing as water temps keep rising. Over the course of a year, an average of 7 percent or 8 percent of all fish caught and released die.

Last edited by Steven 49er; 04/16/19 10:42 AM.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: WIMarshRAT] #6519542
04/16/19 12:13 PM
04/16/19 12:13 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
Originally Posted by WIMarshRAT
Greedy? Of course none of us are greedy, its only the other fellow that is greedy. Reminds me of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

Makes it seem a little less dirty. Greed is about the only word that can offend me. Hate that word and the context of which I hear it spoken. Am l misguided?

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519543
04/16/19 12:15 PM
04/16/19 12:15 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
Milton Friedman was a genius and a prophet.

Nimzy, you wouldn't be called greedy if you'd leave some for seed.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519559
04/16/19 12:45 PM
04/16/19 12:45 PM
WI
N
nimzy Offline
trapper
nimzy  Offline
trapper
N

WI
I always leave seed. 49er those rats are currently way slicker than I. Still learning.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519581
04/16/19 01:23 PM
04/16/19 01:23 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
I go with the 90 10 rule, seems like weather fishing, trapping or money 10% of the involved catch/earn 90% of whats available. Not greedy just better.

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: trapper234] #6519747
04/16/19 06:14 PM
04/16/19 06:14 PM
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
trapper234 Offline OP
trapper
trapper234  Offline OP
trapper

Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Life Member WTA
Life Member NRA
Member NTA

Re: Wisconsin Spring Meeting (Still Time To Vote) [Re: nimzy] #6519787
04/16/19 07:51 PM
04/16/19 07:51 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Yes. I perceived loss.

I'd say greed is taking more than you will use. The guy who keeps every legal fish he catches while he has a freezer full and every year he tosses some out cause they have freezer burn would be a good example. Or wanting rules/policies that benefit an individual over the majority of resource users.

Yes, Catch and release isn't without mortality. According to most studies its around 5-15%. Lots better than 100% mortality of kept fish.

Rat's 90/10 rule is most likely true. That few are really good at a sport and are responsible for the majority caught. That doesn't mean that if you are really dialed in on fishing for Muskies you should keep every legal one you catch. You still have the option in fishing of releasing to catch again.

Another aspect of Rat's rule is the guy who figures out how to limit out every time when fishing. To some after awhile it becomes too easy. So they will switch tactics, no more live bait for example. They impose rules on themselves to make it harder to improve their skills/knowledge. You see alot of this type in Musky fishing and especially Trout fishing.

It is always much more enjoyable having a lights out day when everything is going right and you catch 40-50 fish rather than going home after you catch your limit of 5.

I have seen limits tighten up and size limits increase in my life time. Its a good thing, More people chasing fewer resources with more efficient methods/technology its inevitable.

Having lower bag limits hurts no fisherman, he still can fish as much as he wants. If all that matters to one is how much they can take home they are missing alot of the potential enjoyment of the sport. Its in this mindset that I'll always vote for lower bag limits in fishing. Fishing is alot different than hunting/trapping.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread