No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
North Idaho guys #6519231
04/15/19 10:16 PM
04/15/19 10:16 PM
Idaho
Marten Ted Offline OP
trapper
Marten Ted  Offline OP
trapper

Idaho
Hey all you guys from north Idaho or even NW Montana. Im going to be taking a trip up to the Palouse area to visit my mom coming up here soon, and was hoping to do some shed hunting. Hopefully to find some elk and moose sheds specifically, I consider myself to be fairly proficient in hunting/shed hunting where I live but am used to sagebrush country. Not very familiar with hunting north Idaho but would love to learn. Im sure many of the same rules apply, as far as finding good winter range, following the snow line etc. But there is so much country and much of it is more forested than I am used to. If anyone has any tips on locating elk this time of year in that part of the country it would be much appreciated. I have very little time and so much country to choose from it would be great to be able to narrow it down slightly. Don't want to know anybody's secret spots or anything like that but just a general elevation range, or generalized area would be extremely helpful to me. Feel free to private message me if you like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: North Idaho guys [Re: Marten Ted] #6519329
04/16/19 06:25 AM
04/16/19 06:25 AM
Priest River, Idaho USA
S
SundanceMtnMan Offline
trapper
SundanceMtnMan  Offline
trapper
S

Priest River, Idaho USA
If you can wait until June and come up for the big all state rendezvous. As far as shed hunting I'm from farther north and the elk and moose don't hang together. Moose dropped in January and elk are dropping now. I find moose scattered at all elevations while bull elk are usually running together and are still fairly low because of the late winter. Your best bet probably is to hit the government land just above private property. I haven't hunted that far south so can't give you specific locations as I don't know of any. Good luck.

"They Say Nothing is Impossible,
But, I Do Nothing Every Day."
Re: North Idaho guys [Re: Marten Ted] #6519611
04/16/19 02:36 PM
04/16/19 02:36 PM
MT
D
DavidInMT Offline
trapper
DavidInMT  Offline
trapper
D

MT
Focus on south-facing ridge slopes and south-facing finger ridges that run down the mountains. Best of luck!

David
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread