No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Honey Bee ? #6521181
04/19/19 08:26 AM
04/19/19 08:26 AM
Bloomer, WI
A
Adam Potaczek Offline OP
trapper
Adam Potaczek  Offline OP
trapper
A

Bloomer, WI
I have had bees for awhile now but never had this problem before. Just wondering the best solution. So we have still been cold mainly at nights in northern Wisconsin so I still have the mouse guard on and the top entrance on. The problem is on nice days they only use the top entrance very few will go in the bottom and I take the guard and reducer out. I had bees flying back with lots of pollen and they keep trying to get in the top even when I have it closed off. Should I close it in the morning when they are not flying yet to force them to go out the bottom? Adam

Re: Honey Bee ? [Re: Adam Potaczek] #6521196
04/19/19 08:41 AM
04/19/19 08:41 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
Leave the top entrance open. You do not ever have to have a bottom entrance. Bees do just fine with a top only entrance and this will generally prohibit most mice.

Re: Honey Bee ? [Re: Adam Potaczek] #6521234
04/19/19 09:23 AM
04/19/19 09:23 AM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
Leave the top open. I assume you haven't done a reversal yet...so they are in the top box only (and why they are using that entrance more right now. As soon as you do a reversal, you'll see them using the bottom much more. A bottom entrance is also needed for airflow within the hive, IMO.

I have done reversals on most of my hives at this point...Unless very weak.

Re: Honey Bee ? [Re: Adam Potaczek] #6521340
04/19/19 12:18 PM
04/19/19 12:18 PM
Bloomer, WI
A
Adam Potaczek Offline OP
trapper
Adam Potaczek  Offline OP
trapper
A

Bloomer, WI
Thanks for the info. Yes I have not done reversal yet and maybe I should this week as the weather looks good into the future. They do seem to be in the top box only. Adam

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread