No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
6 year old trapper #6521982
04/20/19 10:19 AM
04/20/19 10:19 AM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline OP
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline OP
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
I ushered for the Good Friday service at church and saw a family with a boy wearing mossy camo boots. I commented how I had a similar pair as a boy but always seemed to get in water just an inch over the tops. His mom said "He wants hip boots but child size is more than adult price. But I need them for trapping" he says. I asked how old he was and what he was trapping, said rabbits and chipmunks, and he caught 3 raccoons but had to let them go. Told him I did not catch a raccoon till I was 9 but remembered the first rabbit I caught about his age with a snare my grampa made up for me. Showed him a picture on my phone of a bobcat I have mounted and he could not believe I caught that in WI. A boy after my own heart and he lives in an urban environment, not out in the country. He has it in him like I did at that age, and it makes me want to protect our heritage all the more, it is not about where you live but what is inside of you.

Born twice, die once
Re: 6 year old trapper [Re: Fishdog One] #6521999
04/20/19 10:47 AM
04/20/19 10:47 AM
MN
F
flathead Offline
trapper
flathead  Offline
trapper
F

MN
Get that boy a pair of hip boots.

Re: 6 year old trapper [Re: Fishdog One] #6522049
04/20/19 12:18 PM
04/20/19 12:18 PM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
X2 an putem to work. I'm betting he would love to help u on trapline next year

Re: 6 year old trapper [Re: Fishdog One] #6522062
04/20/19 12:35 PM
04/20/19 12:35 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Get that boy a pair of hip boots and take him out on the line. He is hook line and sinker, all you have to do is set the hook.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: 6 year old trapper [Re: Fishdog One] #6522111
04/20/19 02:24 PM
04/20/19 02:24 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Find his size and give me an address and I’ll buy a pair of boots for him. No I’m not rich, but I’m a sucker for kids that get into the outdoors lifestyle. I grew up having to steal trash bags to tape around my legs to at least keep my skin dry when wading, swore then if I ever had any kids they’d have the proper attire for hunting.

Re: 6 year old trapper [Re: Fishdog One] #6522392
04/20/19 11:05 PM
04/20/19 11:05 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
I started trapping when I was 6 and a little short on one end … at that time couldn't buy boys size hip boots … my dad took an old pair that my grandpa had used … used the tops off of them, stuffed newspaper in the toes and I wore my old shoes. He cut a hole in the top of them, cut 2 strip that he cut from the top and I ran the strips through the holes and thru my belt loops and tied them in a knot … worked just like the big boys had. It was like wearing over sized clown shoes the first few times I wore them, but soon got used to them. The only trouble was when I would bend down to set a #1 in a rat hole … I would dip a little water each time.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread