ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ground hogs. [Re: Dawnvilledawg] #6521486
04/19/19 04:49 PM
04/19/19 04:49 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Chuck gland lure will boost woodchuck captures greatly just out of pure over whelming curiosity. Plus it makes older dirty traps smell like a hogs back side and his toilet areas. For years back for those of us who knew about such things would keep the hog feces from captured hogs and kept those cages for hog work only. Hogs have as good of a nose as any animal. This information wasnt as freely given out or known as some things are today. Jonesie knows about such things.

Don't forget that tid bit..Squirrels have a great sense of smell as well.

Oh the things I have learned over the years. I sure wish I knew some of the things that I know now back 50 years.

For some it takes some several >>>>>> years to understand this scenario. It is basic biology and animal husbandry. I can catch them with and without bait by just using gland lure. Posi sets are effective as are lured traps. Many nuisance operators just use liquid bait and gland lure and catch them every time, no visual eye appeal at all. It is all in what you find works best for you. i stopped telling clients about gland lure when they asked due to the loss of future revenue.

Re: Ground hogs. [Re: Dawnvilledawg] #6522214
04/20/19 05:23 PM
04/20/19 05:23 PM
ontario, canada
O
old243 Offline
trapper
old243  Offline
trapper
O

ontario, canada
If you catch a cat and don't want to dispose of it , give the trap a good shaking up. The cat will exit at a high rate of speed, you can't catch it a second time. old243

Re: Ground hogs. [Re: Dawnvilledawg] #6522330
04/20/19 09:11 PM
04/20/19 09:11 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Bob the learning curve was long back in the day. When we understand the critter we do not have to always force the animal.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Ground hogs. [Re: Dawnvilledawg] #6522944
04/21/19 09:01 PM
04/21/19 09:01 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Positive dens sets, trails, under fences, along walls, no bait ever with short double door traps, 18 and 24 long. Bait is not necessary. Sometimes will leave a nasty trap out with feces that also works well. I know guys get more than we do, but we did do 142 chucks last summer without bait. The pics above show it clearly. When I was with the carnival in the early 70's the saying was, "if this ain't easy, chicken ain't greasy."

Re: Ground hogs. [Re: Dawnvilledawg] #6526153
04/26/19 08:31 PM
04/26/19 08:31 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Here is the bottom dollar, there have been years where 300 plus was caught with bait. And then again there are jobs where I force or positive set. I will walk up to the job and decide what I am going to do at that job. Both ways are right, and both can be wrong if done just because that is what I do, and not willing to do the other. if the situation calls for it.

Last edited by Jonesie; 05/10/19 08:56 AM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread