No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Becoming a Hunting Guide #6524659
04/24/19 01:27 PM
04/24/19 01:27 PM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
I love turkey and waterfowl hunting, especially turkey. I want to become a guide for them. What insurance do I need? Also how do I get my name out there? And what's a good way to get land owners permission to guide? Most of the land I hunt the owners have made it very clear that only my family can hunt on it. I would of course give the owners a cut of the money. Also how much would you charge per gun for turkey? How much for water fowl? Thanks

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524666
04/24/19 01:44 PM
04/24/19 01:44 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
I can tell by the questions you are asking that you are young. I have no experience guiding but I did start my own business which I continue to run to this day so from that perspective I can offer a small amount of advice.

What you dont know is what kills you. Get a job working under a Outfitter so you can learn the ins and outs, work your way up doing what you have to and maintain a good attitude and learn to deal with clients and issues that will arise. I cant imagine going out on your own with no experience, when you think you "know" the ins and outs it is still rough. Most or all of your questions will be answered during your first or second year working under a professional.

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524674
04/24/19 01:59 PM
04/24/19 01:59 PM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
The only other outfitter in my area that I know of is extremely rude to customers from what I've heard so I don't think he'd be a good person to try to learn from

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524678
04/24/19 02:08 PM
04/24/19 02:08 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by BullOx
The only other outfitter in my area that I know of is extremely rude to customers from what I've heard so I don't think he'd be a good person to try to learn from

Why are you limited to staying only in your area? Spend a spring/fall guiding for Snows and maybe you can find someone to let you take out Turkey hunters as well somewhere.

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524681
04/24/19 02:10 PM
04/24/19 02:10 PM
Saltlake city utah
S
Steelflight Offline
trapper
Steelflight  Offline
trapper
S

Saltlake city utah
If you had your own land I would say go nuts. But ill agree with the fore mentioned advice. Get involved with the outfitters in your area. Learn the game. Most importantly learn the players. You will pick up what you need from their as your area will have elements we don't know about.

You may think before you act. The question is did you listen to your own council?
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524683
04/24/19 02:11 PM
04/24/19 02:11 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Do you have the ability/desire to move to work with a reputable guide? There are likely ample opportunities out west or Alaska. The hunting may be a little different, but you're wanting to learn the business side, which should be similar anywhere you go. Maybe search for guide schools, too.

You've probably also considered the fact that if you're busy with customers during the season, you'll likely have very little time for hunting yourself. You may need a state-issued license to collect payment for guiding, and you could discuss the insurance requirements with your current insurance agent.

Also, good luck finding landowners to let you bring clients hunting on their land. At least in Wisconsin, I believe landowners are protected from liability for letting hunters on their land if they don't charge them, but if there is money exchanged, the landowner could be liable if something bad happens. Michigan could be different though. Even so, it may be very difficult to find private landowners willing to do that, unless you straight up lease sole hunting rights.

Last edited by tlguy; 04/24/19 02:14 PM.
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524687
04/24/19 02:14 PM
04/24/19 02:14 PM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
TLGuy and DS, I have a pretty close family and wouldn't really want to move away for months at a time

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524698
04/24/19 02:30 PM
04/24/19 02:30 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
It sounds like you just want to make a bit of money on the side doing what you like to do. That's not being a professional guide and other requirements, like a real job, are going to get in the way at some point. If you don't have public land to do it on and can't meet the requirements for guiding on public land, it doesn't sound feasible. If I'm wrong and you do think you want to be a professional guide then I would say you don't want it very bad because you have been given good advice but refuse to take it. Success requires sacrifice. If you want something bad enough you are willing to sacrifice other things to get it; it's a matter of priorities. Sounds like you have an idea that is just a lark.

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524717
04/24/19 03:07 PM
04/24/19 03:07 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
BullOx, As you can see, I am from Michigan like you are. Our "Guides License" is a joke in this state. You don't need one if all your hunts are on private land, and if you guide on Federal ground you are subject to even more permits, etc. than if you only guide on state property. The "license" is simply a "Use Permit" issued by the DNR to allow you to charge $ while on state property. I was one of those guys that championed the state licensing guides for many years. I'd hoped the program was to be sort of like Maine's licensing, but it isn't at all. I held a guiding permit for several years, and just recently quit re-applying for a renewal each season. If you only do jump shooting as a waterfowl guide on state land, the permit while be all you'd need, but if you throw in even one small row boat or canoe you will need them to be inspected, and then you get what's called a pilots license or endorsement (??!!), or some such thing....not a "Captains License", those are the things the fishing charter guys get. As you can see, it isn't as simple as it could be. I may have my terms wrong, so you'd best talk to the DNR in person. As for insurance, it wasn't required when I was licensed, but maybe is now. It would be the SMART thing to have though. Also, the Use Permit itself was free too, but they were talking of charging $50 per year and may do that now....I'm out of the loop and don't know.

Last edited by J.Morse; 04/24/19 03:10 PM.

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524724
04/24/19 03:33 PM
04/24/19 03:33 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline
trapper
T

Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
I know from the experience I have with guided hunts. Most outfitters lease their hunting ground. They usually form an LLC and get insurance for the LLC.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524728
04/24/19 03:44 PM
04/24/19 03:44 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Take the advice given, go to a school or work for a guide. I’ve only hired one guide in my life and will never hire another because of this joker. He not only wasn’t trained in anyway he lacked the knowledge that it took not to lie to a knowledgeable outdoorsman. Your lack of knowledge will shine through in short order. I’m not down playing your knowledge or abilities, just saying you will have some very good outdoorsmen hire you for one reason or another . Going to school or working for an outfitter will help prepare you for such people.
If this is something you really want a little time away from home will be worth the time in the long run.

Good luck,
Don

Last edited by Golf ball; 04/25/19 10:07 AM.
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524781
04/24/19 05:17 PM
04/24/19 05:17 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Work for an outfitter and let them teach you. that is it all in a nut shell. Period. The end. (and forget about ever hunting again, that will be your work season)

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524836
04/24/19 07:02 PM
04/24/19 07:02 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN

This may be the best person to work for. You yourself will then see what is involved, he will teach you what NOT to do.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6524838
04/24/19 07:06 PM
04/24/19 07:06 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
There isn't any amount of money that I would take to be a babysitter out in the bush.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: Boco] #6524929
04/24/19 09:50 PM
04/24/19 09:50 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by Boco
There isn't any amount of money that I would take to be a babysitter out in the bush.

So very true..............can someone please pass the derrier paper please ! It's for the client request.

But if your bear guiding always remember to smear the bacon grease on the underside of their tree stand. I'm laughing so much I am having a hard time finishing the post. I just remember the first time I did this............it really pumps up the hunters when the bears climb up the trees to them their feet with the tongues all hanging out and lapping away. Not a top was spared on the whisky bottle that night to remember. As soberity set in the next morning viewing; the 6 shots in the bear skin did make a cheese cake rug

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: Osky] #6524978
04/24/19 11:07 PM
04/24/19 11:07 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Osky

This may be the best person to work for. You yourself will then see what is involved, he will teach you what NOT to do.

Osky

Give him a good chance to work on his people skills. Helps in the guiding business to able to read people and figure out how to get along and what makes them happy.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6525082
04/25/19 07:59 AM
04/25/19 07:59 AM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
I will look into that local guide and see if he needs help, thanks

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6525099
04/25/19 08:26 AM
04/25/19 08:26 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Take the Advice above and work for an outfitter first.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: BullOx] #6525117
04/25/19 08:48 AM
04/25/19 08:48 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
I've never done a guided hunting trip but lots of guided fishing trips.

Something to consider.

If you guide on state or fed. land then you could end up showing clients where to hunt and how.
I know many people who take a weeks vacation for a fishing trip, hire a guide for the first day, learn spots and tactics then the rest of the week they fish where the guide took them.
I've always thought it a crappy thing to do but lots do it.

I would recommend working for someone else first.
It will also will give you some exposure with clients who if they enjoy hunting with you will hire you when you go out on your own.
Alot of guiding is personalities. I'd rather go on a trip with someone who is enjoyable than a unethical obnoxious slob.

Another thing I've seen is the level of service. Some fishing guides will do everything for you except the actual fishing. They will tie on the flies, net the fish, unhook the fish, take pictures and handle the boat. They supply all the flies you'll use and even a rod if you want. They don't ever fish themselves. They will bring you a decent lunch, have plenty of snacks and beverages. All you have to do is show up. Others will fish while you are fishing, they will just take you along while they fish. Your on your own in someone else's boat. Guess which guides can charge more and have bookings lined up a year in advance?

Re: Becoming a Hunting Guide [Re: Dirty D] #6525203
04/25/19 11:07 AM
04/25/19 11:07 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by Dirty D
I've never done a guided hunting trip but lots of guided fishing trips.

Something to consider.

If you guide on state or fed. land then you could end up showing clients where to hunt and how.
I know many people who take a weeks vacation for a fishing trip, hire a guide for the first day, learn spots and tactics then the rest of the week they fish where the guide took them.
I've always thought it a crappy thing to do but lots do it.

I would recommend working for someone else first.
It will also will give you some exposure with clients who if they enjoy hunting with you will hire you when you go out on your own.
Alot of guiding is personalities. I'd rather go on a trip with someone who is enjoyable than a unethical obnoxious slob.

Another thing I've seen is the level of service. Some fishing guides will do everything for you except the actual fishing. They will tie on the flies, net the fish, unhook the fish, take pictures and handle the boat. They supply all the flies you'll use and even a rod if you want. They don't ever fish themselves. They will bring you a decent lunch, have plenty of snacks and beverages. All you have to do is show up. Others will fish while you are fishing, they will just take you along while they fish. Your on your own in someone else's boat. Guess which guides can charge more and have bookings lined up a year in advance?

This is considered unethical by many. The outfitter trains you and then you steal his clients. Happens all the time, just not by me.

Who is John Galt?
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread