No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure #6524919
04/24/19 09:37 PM
04/24/19 09:37 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline OP
trapper
star flakes  Offline OP
trapper

MN, USA

[Linked Image]

I thought I would share this as the the other day my better half and I went for a walk around the section on a nice spring day, and as we got 2 miles in, an elderly neighbor's dog decided to come along. I could not get that dog to go home as it was having the time of it's life with us in wading in sloughs, looking back to make sure we were coming and searched out a deer bone in the ditch to present to us. (We had to give the dog a ride back home in the pick up as he wanted to stay with us.)
I watched with interest in someone had shot a coyote with mange, rubbed on the belly, a few weeks ago about 150 yards off the road, to see what this German Shepherd - Pyrenees would do on an east crosswind not blowing to her. In the exact spot she locked up, head went up and off she went to that coyote. This yote was not plumes of stink coming off of it, even when I walked out to check it before, but this dog scented it.
Different breeds and different animals have different scenting abilities. I have a Manx cat which acts like a coon hound most days. But to watch this dog was a reminder to trappers just how far bait and lure will reach out. Yes location is all important, but I read often here how animals are not responding to lures or baits. The above is a point that the animals are scenting those concoctions, but they are not responding to them, either due to exposure to them in teaching them they are a nothing burger or the scent does not attract them.

I posted this to help young trappers to be aware of how far animals can scent their lures and baits.

Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6525018
04/25/19 12:51 AM
04/25/19 12:51 AM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
My experience was 2 coyote had come out of a small chunk of woods circled a little and headed toward my sets easily 200 yards away going into the wind there was 4 in. of snow so tracks were easy to see the smaller track zigzagged and the larger in a straight line about 10 yards away could see I had nothing but the 2 dogs went thru my 3 sets without breaking stride couple days later a storm front passed thru and I had a double there You just never know

olden tyred
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6525021
04/25/19 01:01 AM
04/25/19 01:01 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I watched as a bear caught the scent of me and two hunters, we were about a half mile upwind, he took off like a bullet when he smelled us. I'll bet they can smell even a lot farther than that.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6525051
04/25/19 06:47 AM
04/25/19 06:47 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I learned a lot by walkimg in thenwoods with my dog. Walk very slow and observe what interest them and how they respond to odors.

Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6525053
04/25/19 06:52 AM
04/25/19 06:52 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I learned a lot by walkimg in the woods with my dog. Walk very slow and observe what interest them and how they respond to odors.

Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6525062
04/25/19 07:19 AM
04/25/19 07:19 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
What is important is how far they will go to investigate that smell. A coyote will travel miles to feed on a dead horse because the coyote knows its a big pile of feed.

That little bit of lure or bait is not going to move one very far. Coyote might detect a tablespoon of bait a half mile away but its not going to go check it out. Not even 100 yards away. Unless that coyote is heading there anyway.

Forget about calling stuff in with bait or lure. Unless your bait is a roadkill deer you moved or 7 beaver carcasses in a pile.

Set where they will go whether you set a trap there or not.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6525156
04/25/19 09:50 AM
04/25/19 09:50 AM
IL
G
goatman Offline
trapper
goatman  Offline
trapper
G

IL
Scent is changing every day. Even by the hour. Some days it rises. Some days it doesn't. Moisture or dryness changes it. Don't worry to much about it. And that dog looks to be pure pryenees. Him wanting to go with you is teaching him new boundaries and area to guard.

Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: waggler] #6590684
08/08/19 12:01 PM
08/08/19 12:01 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by waggler
I watched as a bear caught the scent of me and two hunters, we were about a half mile upwind, he took off like a bullet when he smelled us. I'll bet they can smell even a lot farther than that.

I spotted a brown bear on a beach on the Alaska Peninsula that was so far away it took me a minute to realize I was looking at a bear and not a boulder. That was with binoculars. The wind was blowing from me toward the bear. It caught our wind and reacted just as you described. Amazing nose.

Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: danny clifton] #6590698
08/08/19 12:43 PM
08/08/19 12:43 PM
Meridian , ID
B
Badgerman50 Offline
trapper
Badgerman50  Offline
trapper
B

Meridian , ID
Originally Posted by danny clifton
What is important is how far they will go to investigate that smell. A coyote will travel miles to feed on a dead horse because the coyote knows its a big pile of feed.

That little bit of lure or bait is not going to move one very far. Coyote might detect a tablespoon of bait a half mile away but its not going to go check it out. Not even 100 yards away. Unless that coyote is heading there anyway.

Forget about calling stuff in with bait or lure. Unless your bait is a roadkill deer you moved or 7 beaver carcasses in a pile.

That’s what I was thinking so no need to repeat.

Badgerman
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6590798
08/08/19 05:21 PM
08/08/19 05:21 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Bears have the best sniffer and can smell stuff from miles away.
They can also smell food in unopened cans inside cabins.
Wolves second best but nothing like a bear.

Last edited by Boco; 08/08/19 05:22 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6590947
08/08/19 09:45 PM
08/08/19 09:45 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
I'll share an experience with coyotes.

I had been trapping on the airport for about 2 years (year round). I had picked up traps as I hadn't seen or found any coyote sign in months (Middle of July). We had to dispose of a deer from the airfield. I dug a hole with a backhoe and buried the deer. Within 3 days coyotes from the surrounding area found that deer and dug 4ft down to it to eat.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: Badgerman50] #6591114
08/09/19 07:07 AM
08/09/19 07:07 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Badgerman50

That’s what I was thinking so no need to repeat.

Was thinking similar, a pet knows where the next meal is. If a critter investigated everything it winded it would never make it out of the woods. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6591738
08/10/19 01:03 AM
08/10/19 01:03 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Cold winter day 3-4" fresh snow, female coyote hunting a creek bottom, smelled ogormans ldc from 200 yds, walkjed straight as an arrow to the set, pretty cool to see tracks in the snow

Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6591755
08/10/19 04:34 AM
08/10/19 04:34 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Did it walk straight to the set because of the lure or because you can pick good locations?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: danny clifton] #6591787
08/10/19 06:55 AM
08/10/19 06:55 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Did it walk straight to the set because of the lure or because you can pick good locations?

I would say for the test, he probably set where there was absolutely zero coyote sign and a zero chance a coyote would travel that way. whistle

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 08/10/19 06:55 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6592454
08/11/19 09:59 AM
08/11/19 09:59 AM
North Carolina
JoeRJr Offline
trapper
JoeRJr  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
Originally Posted by star flakes

I have a Manx cat which acts like a coon hound most days.

This reminds me. Back in the 80s a guy I worked with had a Manx cat. It jumped up on the kitchen table one night when he had some buddies partying at the house. The cat got a nose full of cocaine. It survived the incident after tearing around the house for an extended period of time. However, it acted like a drug dog after that. If you had any trace of that stuff on you when you went there that cat would climb you like a tree to get at it. Thankfully I never messed with that stuff, but it was funny to watch that cat check over every person that walked in the house. It was almost like a dog with that kind of behavior.
Joe

Re: Distance an Animal can Scent Bait or Lure [Re: star flakes] #6592479
08/11/19 10:48 AM
08/11/19 10:48 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Great thread. I have always been a student of how scent works, as I run bird dogs. When I was a kid my dad and I were pheasant hunting a cattail slough with our GSP. The dog, Katy, caught a skunk by the business end. She obviously got sprayed point blank. We could literally see the skunk juice dripping off her face. We couldn't stand for her to be anywhere near us. We kept hunting and about 15 minutes later Katy went on point. My dad and I were skeptical that she could smell anything but the skunk, but we walked in on her point anyway. Sure enough a rooster flushed and one of us shot it. That incident, even as a kid, really opened my eyes to what canines can smell. The dog got sprayed point blank by a skunk yet could still smell a pheasant. That dog also REALLY loved her job.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread