No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: minklessinpa] #6525243
04/25/19 12:43 PM
04/25/19 12:43 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by minklessinpa
wow! I've been a plumber for 40 years. I don't work with lead like we used to, but there is still whole cities that have lead joints in there water mains and lead goosenecks on there laterals to the houses. Youngstown ohio still uses lead goosenecks. Michigan comes to mind also.plattsbugh new York had lead joints on there cast iron water lines.i would cost billions to replace all them lines.

Michigan no longer uses cast iron pipe with leaded joints. Goosenecks are replace with copper. At one time we had a hole lot of lead goosenecks in a large wire basket.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: Scout1] #6525244
04/25/19 12:45 PM
04/25/19 12:45 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan

Originally Posted by Scout1
Was it lead Flint, Michigans water supply was supposed to be contaminated with?

Not sure!

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: tomahawker] #6525248
04/25/19 12:52 PM
04/25/19 12:52 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by tomahawker
If you all can’t smell the anti hunting crowd in this you’ve cut off your nose to spite your face. They would have you believe the only source of lead for raptors and ducks is found by picking up lead shot. And wouldn’t that be great if it was? This is an end around that’s been going on for a long time.

tomahawker:
WRONG, this is not a anti hunting item at all. You better check you nose. Ingested lead is the problem. I just missed a article on the News that Grand Rapids is going to hire people to find out where some kids are getting lead in there systems, when there blood was test it show hi levels of lead.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525254
04/25/19 01:04 PM
04/25/19 01:04 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
The notion that ingested lead poses significant problems to wildlife is utterly absurd. If you believe that, I got some real nice time shares on Mars you'll be interested in.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525255
04/25/19 01:09 PM
04/25/19 01:09 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
Sooo... raptors have been brought up frequently.
Obviously by the ignorant as they forgot a very important detail: raptors upchuck bones, fur, feathers, etc several times a week. Ever heard of, or better yet seen and interacted with, "owl pellets"???

Yup, "lead is bad" is just more feel good libturd nonsense to distract the ignorant and emotionally immature into allowing ever greater tyranny. So sad.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: DuxDawg] #6525259
04/25/19 01:27 PM
04/25/19 01:27 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by DuxDawg
The notion that ingested lead poses significant problems to wildlife is utterly absurd. If you believe that, I got some real nice time shares on Mars you'll be interested in.

My thoughts exactly!

( I can see around a trap/sleet range that gets used daily them finding a couple diver-ducks with lead in their system, but it ends there.)

Last edited by hippie; 04/25/19 01:30 PM.
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525266
04/25/19 01:37 PM
04/25/19 01:37 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Lead is poisonous.It has been removed from paint and gas for a reason.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525313
04/25/19 02:47 PM
04/25/19 02:47 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
I had a guy tell me once that when you cut a water pipe into and see the white stuff in the pipes, I guess minerals from the water, that serves as its own pipe and the lead can't get in thru it. Don't know but it seems reasonable.

The first time as a kid that I cut and welded a bunch of galvanized metal, that night no one had to tell me that was bad stuff and not to breathe that anymore. That didn't mean I needed to to take all the roofing off in the community and bury it. I remember when as a kid a neighbor kid used to bring a big ball of mercury to school and play with it in his hands. When I told my mom she said not to handle it that it was bad. Today that guy's hands peel off and give him trouble, don't know if that caused it. Still I don't think we need to get rid of all the thermometers.

I think where the Romans was messing up with their sweet wine was boiling it down in lead containers, heating the lead will bring out the worst in it. If you breathe lead vapor as it melts you might be better off just buying your mini balls or fishing weights. If they want to do away with lead then I guess all the cars will need mags and cranks to replaces the batteries. Soil contains lead and arsenic and plants take it up and we eat them. So maybe we get are daily allowances without having to supplement it with any extra.

Every thing seems to be that a balance is best. My mom and dad grew up in a time when eggs and milk was their main stay because they was cheap and on hand and they both lived up in their 80's, but now depending on which report you read milk and eggs are either killing you or good for you. If you survive every thing that's bad for you may actually still die, maybe old age simply put.

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525452
04/25/19 06:08 PM
04/25/19 06:08 PM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
Been packing lead in me for 24 years ,aint hurt my reproduction parts any , i still cut 5 loads a logs a day ,cut them up and haul them in a day, but of course there was this one time .

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: Foxpaw] #6525454
04/25/19 06:12 PM
04/25/19 06:12 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Foxpaw
I had a guy tell me once that when you cut a water pipe into and see the white stuff in the pipes, I guess minerals from the water, that serves as its own pipe and the lead can't get in thru it. Don't know but it seems reasonable.

The first time as a kid that I cut and welded a bunch of galvanized metal, that night no one had to tell me that was bad stuff and not to breathe that anymore. That didn't mean I needed to to take all the roofing off in the community and bury it. I remember when as a kid a neighbor kid used to bring a big ball of mercury to school and play with it in his hands. When I told my mom she said not to handle it that it was bad. Today that guy's hands peel off and give him trouble, don't know if that caused it. Still I don't think we need to get rid of all the thermometers.

I think where the Romans was messing up with their sweet wine was boiling it down in lead containers, heating the lead will bring out the worst in it. If you breathe lead vapor as it melts you might be better off just buying your mini balls or fishing weights. If they want to do away with lead then I guess all the cars will need mags and cranks to replaces the batteries. Soil contains lead and arsenic and plants take it up and we eat them. So maybe we get are daily allowances without having to supplement it with any extra.

Every thing seems to be that a balance is best. My mom and dad grew up in a time when eggs and milk was their main stay because they was cheap and on hand and they both lived up in their 80's, but now depending on which report you read milk and eggs are either killing you or good for you. If you survive every thing that's bad for you may actually still die, maybe old age simply put.

The Roman aristocracy would grind up lead and sprinkle it on their food... Couple that with rampant incest to keep blood lines pure... And you can understand why some of the ceasars were a little loopy.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525456
04/25/19 06:18 PM
04/25/19 06:18 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
I handle a decent amount of lead. I don't chew on it or huff the vapors when I melt it. I wash my hands after handling it.

Honestly I worry more about getting splattered with hot molten lead than I do getting sick from it.

Respect it and be aware of the hazards, but good grief don't live in terror of it.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525612
04/25/19 10:30 PM
04/25/19 10:30 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
DueBoug:
I know all about raptor casting, I was a falconer for just of 50 years. In the last 20 years I have taken 3 eagle to rehabilitator that had lead poisoning. Outside of trapper I most likely spend more hours in the woods that most. So I am not anti-hunting. The reason I post the original post "Lead" was lead is out there and is a hazard to raptor and other wing game. You can believe it or not that is up to you! This is not JMO it is a fact! Talk to your vet, ask him how it effect raptor. But again what would he know. LOL

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525649
04/25/19 11:57 PM
04/25/19 11:57 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
What about growing tomatoes against an old garage that has lead paint era paint chips falling off?

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: Tactical.20] #6525664
04/26/19 01:11 AM
04/26/19 01:11 AM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
Probably better to grow tomatoes than potatoes or other root crops. Several years ago we were into raised beds and I was going to make them using old railroad ties. My wife pitched a fit and said the creosote would kill us, lol. I didn't know so I used some logs out of the woods. I'd say feeding stuff to kids would be worse than older people.

I remember back 50 years ago they said atrazine was no worse than table salt, now its in a lot of drinking water and they are saying atrazine will turn male frogs into females. Maybe that is the cause for the surge in gays. I guess the debate on roundup will get more interesting over time. They say " Truth is the daughter of time". And a lot of times when we follow the source and find out just who "they" is that's saying these things it becomes more obvious why or why not to fear.

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: Getting There] #6525706
04/26/19 07:35 AM
04/26/19 07:35 AM
Kentucky
E
ebfarmer Offline OP
trapper
ebfarmer  Offline OP
trapper
E

Kentucky
Originally Posted by Getting There
DueBoug:
I know all about raptor casting, I was a falconer for just of 50 years. In the last 20 years I have taken 3 eagle to rehabilitator that had lead poisoning. Outside of trapper I most likely spend more hours in the woods that most. So I am not anti-hunting. The reason I post the original post "Lead" was lead is out there and is a hazard to raptor and other wing game. You can believe it or not that is up to you! This is not JMO it is a fact! Talk to your vet, ask him how it effect raptor. But again what would he know. LOL

Lead poisoning is real, I cant disagree with you on that., however are the raptors getting the lead poisoning from lead shot, or from something else in the environment? Do you believe lead is the "boogie man" that it is made out to be in popular culture today? Duxdawg probably isn't going to be willing to feed lead shot as grit to his chickens, but I would bet he wouldn't consider it a hazard to put a load of #4s in a possum that was in the pen.

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525790
04/26/19 09:34 AM
04/26/19 09:34 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I could smell atrazine in a small creek in the fall, it's put on in the spring, I bet it's nasty

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525854
04/26/19 11:36 AM
04/26/19 11:36 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I often wonder why they ban lead shot where very little hunting occurs. I understand it may be a good idea where lots of hunting occurs, but probably pointless where I live. Then there are the NAZI rules about having lead shot on board when duck hunting. I'd say 99% of the lead in the waterways here come from fishing. Most of it rather large for birds to ingest. Is the lead shot ban a Federal law?

BTW isn't lead rather heavy? I would think like gold, it would eventually sink towards bed rock and not be available near the surface very long for birds to ingest?

Last edited by Dirt; 04/26/19 11:39 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525878
04/26/19 12:22 PM
04/26/19 12:22 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
When we aimed the lead directly at raptors, it had an effect on them, but it's clear that it's not too hard on them now going by the numbers of them now. Sell that story to someone else.

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525885
04/26/19 12:39 PM
04/26/19 12:39 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
I have shot coons, skunks, possum, snakes, and even a mink all in the chicken pen. Then I have shot a little of every thing around the house including clay targets ( did worry some about the hogs eating those, but no incidents) and I have never even remotely thought any chickens died from eating shot. Maybe I missed some that may have eat shot and I just thought they died of old age (animals do die of old age don't they?) But I would think if as concentrated as the shot is around my house if it was a problem there would be enough dead chickens my wife would take note. The last few years I even trim my trees with the shotgun and never have I ever bought any steel shot. The day may come when all we can use is a sling shot and a rock and happy to have that, lol.

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525921
04/26/19 01:42 PM
04/26/19 01:42 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
ebfarmer;
I do a lot ADC work in the spring and fall, mostly the big three. Racoons, opossums and skunks.. I would dispatch them with a 22 short. I would just leave them in place in the field for everything to eat. The same place every time. I would only be 1 to 3 day and they are gone. I wondered what was eating them. So I put out a game camera, first up a Great Horned Owl then a fox but just took a sniff, a coyote again just a look and sniff. Next was a adult Bald Eagle, he was eating on one of the Raccoon, then the vultures moved in and run the Eagle off. I still dispatch the game the same way but they go in a plastic bag and go in the garbage.

I should have known better. This is FIO, people will keep doing what they do. Look at drinking and driving, killing people everyday but is still goes on everyday. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread