No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
................................. Binocular help #6525580
04/25/19 09:39 PM
04/25/19 09:39 PM
Alaska
H
Hupurest Offline OP
"Andy S wannabe"
Hupurest  Offline OP
"Andy S wannabe"
H

Alaska
And by help, I mean, for you.

Buy once cry once, then, you won’t cry the next two times.
Left to right
Swarovski
EL 10x42
EL 10x32
CL 8x30

[Linked Image]

And to clear up any questions
Vortex is NOT “as good for the money”, that’s a false statement. I get free Vortex and give them away, because they are in any comparison, garbage. Edges are distorted, ergonomics suck, glass isn’t even close to as bright or clear, all they have is a warranty, which you will be using.
The 10x42 above are almost 15 years old, abused and never ever had an issue.

I can own any Bino’s I want, Swarovski, in my opinion are THE Best....

Last edited by Hupurest; 04/25/19 10:18 PM.

Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
I'll take wolves over idiots any day.
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525584
04/25/19 09:44 PM
04/25/19 09:44 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
agreed, I'm a Swaro or Steiner guy

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: traprjohn] #6525622
04/25/19 10:55 PM
04/25/19 10:55 PM
Wy
Cattrax Offline
trapper
Cattrax  Offline
trapper

Wy
Only one way to get good glass, and it hurts, but you will never be sorry after you put some time behind them, Swarovski is the way to go.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525630
04/25/19 11:02 PM
04/25/19 11:02 PM
The Panhandle of Alaska
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

The Panhandle of Alaska
I agree completely. My oldest pair are 10x42 SLC’s. I have zero interest in replacing them after 20 years of ownership. Worth every penny!

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525635
04/25/19 11:23 PM
04/25/19 11:23 PM
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
How do i get on the list for the junk vortex while i save for good glass?

Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525636
04/25/19 11:29 PM
04/25/19 11:29 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Originally Posted by Hupurest
And by help, I mean, for you.

Buy once cry once, then, you won’t cry the next two times.
Left to right
Swarovski
EL 10x42
EL 10x32
CL 8x30

[Linked Image]

And to clear up any questions
Vortex is NOT “as good for the money”, that’s a false statement. I get free Vortex and give them away, because they are in any comparison, garbage. Edges are distorted, ergonomics suck, glass isn’t even close to as bright or clear, all they have is a warranty, which you will be using.
The 10x42 above are almost 15 years old, abused and never ever had an issue.

I can own any Bino’s I want, Swarovski, in my opinion are THE Best....

Every once in a while Huppy, I wish you'd just come straight out and tell it how it is. :-)

I agree 100%. I've owned a dozen pair of binocular . . . all the major brands. IMO Swarovski is about as good as it gets. Lieca is a close second but I'm probably just prejudiced. Until you've used them in the field under all conditions its hard to claim what is truly quality and what is just good glass. Mine have been all over the western United States, Alaska and Canada. Never a complaint . . . other than the price, but like you say, just do it once.

Last edited by Lazarus; 04/25/19 11:29 PM.
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525640
04/25/19 11:36 PM
04/25/19 11:36 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I don't know of anything to back the claim Swarovski is better than Leica. Me, I'm lusting after a Leica Geovid, the binocular with a rangefinder.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: James] #6525643
04/25/19 11:40 PM
04/25/19 11:40 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline
trapper
Lazarus  Offline
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Originally Posted by James
I don't know of anything to back the claim Swarovski is better than Leica.

Jim

Just the experience of comparing them side by side in the field hour after hour in actual hunting situations. Thats all.

Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525657
04/26/19 12:13 AM
04/26/19 12:13 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I was about to add, "other than personal preference."

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525658
04/26/19 12:23 AM
04/26/19 12:23 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Not downing Swarovski's, never really tried them but I'm happy with my leupold gold rings. Good customer service if needed.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525663
04/26/19 01:05 AM
04/26/19 01:05 AM
Wisconsin
D
Dillon Benda Offline
trapper
Dillon Benda  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
Put me on the list for the vortex giveaway!!

Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525669
04/26/19 02:02 AM
04/26/19 02:02 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I don't know what to make of the claims about binocular or riflescope comparisons. The common perception seems to be that Nikon and Pentax make less than top grade glass. But both brands are considered high quality in astronomical circles.

Astronomy is the toughest test of glass, imho. When you're trying to find more than the four Galilean moons of Jupiter, or distinguish the two different colors of a binary star system, you tend to see the difference between good and so-so glass. Yes, you can see the color of stars through good glass.

There is a lot of bias and prejudice and personal preference involved in picking astronomical eyepieces, also. Leica and Swarovski both make variable eyepieces for their spotting scopes that can also be used in telescopes. They are pricy and sought after (maybe because they are pricey).

Pentax and Nikon each make top-quality fixed eyepieces that are suitable in both spotting scopes and telescopes. Other sources of glass for eyepieces are Taiwan and other parts of Asia. Japanese glass is very good. Taiwanese can be good or bad, and price is usually a good indicator.

As to binoculars and rifle scopes, it's interesting to me that neither Leupold (and I'm a big fan) or Vortex disclose the source of their glass. The source is not the US. It's probably Taiwan, from one or two of the better glass factories. It's possible both brands use the same source of glass.

So why do you think Leupold and Vortex don't disclose the source of their glass? Because they want to fool buyers into thinking the glass is from US factories?

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: James] #6525675
04/26/19 05:20 AM
04/26/19 05:20 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
I don't know what to make of the claims about binocular or riflescope comparisons. The common perception seems to be that Nikon and Pentax make less than top grade glass. But both brands are considered high quality in astronomical circles.

Astronomy is the toughest test of glass, imho. When you're trying to find more than the four Galilean moons of Jupiter, or distinguish the two different colors of a binary star system, you tend to see the difference between good and so-so glass. Yes, you can see the color of stars through good glass.

There is a lot of bias and prejudice and personal preference involved in picking astronomical eyepieces, also. Leica and Swarovski both make variable eyepieces for their spotting scopes that can also be used in telescopes. They are pricy and sought after (maybe because they are pricey).

Pentax and Nikon each make top-quality fixed eyepieces that are suitable in both spotting scopes and telescopes. Other sources of glass for eyepieces are Taiwan and other parts of Asia. Japanese glass is very good. Taiwanese can be good or bad, and price is usually a good indicator.

As to binoculars and rifle scopes, it's interesting to me that neither Leupold (and I'm a big fan) or Vortex disclose the source of their glass. The source is not the US. It's probably Taiwan, from one or two of the better glass factories. It's possible both brands use the same source of glass.

So why do you think Leupold and Vortex don't disclose the source of their glass? Because they want to fool buyers into thinking the glass is from US factories?

Jim

It's like riding in cars. If you have always been happy riding in a pinto you wouldn't know what your missing to ride in a royals Royce.

DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525677
04/26/19 05:25 AM
04/26/19 05:25 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Also, for me, it's about bang for the buck. I use binos quite a bit for glassing deer hunting. And I love my 9x35 leupies. They aren't all that bulky to back, I can pick a deer out good at 500-1000 yards, they were affordable to me. Now, we keep a pair of tasco's in the boat just in case. If they get stolen no big deal, we're out $25. But I can tell an eagle from a crow at a couple hundred yards with the tasco's!

Last edited by Scout1; 04/26/19 05:26 AM.

DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525723
04/26/19 07:59 AM
04/26/19 07:59 AM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Never could afford such glass for anything, I've been happy with my Nikons, they have always seen the same things when hunting with others who have such expensive glass. Just like trapping, some others will do better, but they all can get the job done !

If your happy that's great, maybe start throwing away them free others to people less fortunate than you so they can share just the foggy part of hunting !!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: James] #6525906
04/26/19 01:18 PM
04/26/19 01:18 PM
Alaska
H
Hupurest Offline OP
"Andy S wannabe"
Hupurest  Offline OP
"Andy S wannabe"
H

Alaska

Jim

leica makes some fine glass, and I like their products, however, their customer service and support to me, is lacking, and i choose not to buy thier products (other than the rangefinder). Lecia riflescopes were (i haven't seen the newest ones) some amazing pieces of glass, and are every bit as good as Swarovski, if not a tad bit crisper for me.

But, again, the customer service, and the range in which they offered their rifle scopes, wasn't for me.

as for Nikon, they have picked up their glass game in the past 3-5 years. I think that the Monarch are as good, if not a little better than the leupold VX-III line.
You are correct in that Nikon makes great astronomical as well as photography lenses, but that doesnt seem to directly correlate to rifle scopes.
I assume it has something to do with the price point for their scopes, and what segment of the market they are trying to be in.

Like all top end brands, there just aren't many that sit and battle it out to be the best, which usually means most expensive. Vehicles is one example that comes to mind quick, there just aren't alot of super car brands, but there are plenty in the low and mid-range brands.

Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica are known for top of the line glass and products, and focus mainly on that line, with some smaller lines in the mid-price range.

then you have leupold, vortex, nikon, solidifying the middle ground, and simmons, tasco picking up the crumbs and walmart crowd.

Vortex are over priced for the quality that you get, however, that price includes the "lifetime warranty" which seems to be their best selling point. While it works for a lot of people, failure, no matter the warranty is just not an option for some, like myself.
I'm not flying in or hiking in to a sheep hunt, to have a scope issue, and not be able to hunt. i don't care what the warranty is, failure is unacceptable to me. Perhaps, deer hunting 1/2 mile from the truck or house, and having a glass issue is more tenable for some.

I learned my lesson on a saskatchewan deer hunt. last light, big buck came in, I watched him through my Swaro binos and new i wanted to harvest that deer. When i pulled up the rifle, with the VX-3 3.5-10x50mm scope, it was darker than the inside of a cow and I couldn't see anything, let alone the deer. saving a couple hundred dollars buying a Leupold vs a Swarovski scope cost me a deer on a $3,500 hunt. That's when i made the decision to upgrade all my glass and never settle for anything less than the best again.

long story short, dont impulse buy your glass. if you have a mediocre scope or binos now, dont just buy a new pair thats a little bit better. keep using the stuff you have and save to buy the best. You will not ever regret it....

I have never had a customer who after talking with me, and spent the extra money come back and say they made a poor choice. Instead, they come back, and buy more, upgrading the rest of what they have, because it just cant compare. I have never had a "as good for the money, or bang for buck" exclaimers agree with their initial statement after looking through Swarovski or Leica, most of the time, they parrot something they read on a forum or what their buddy said, and have never even held, let alone used in the field a pair of the high end binos.

Originally Posted By: Malukchuk
I'll take wolves over idiots any day.
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525916
04/26/19 01:38 PM
04/26/19 01:38 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I definitely wont argue with Hupurest.

I myself am not brand loyal, I have Zeiss binos, Swarovski spotting scope, Leica range finder and Leupold scopes.
When I was shopping for spotting scopes I lined up all three Euro makes; they all had pluses and minuses. I just preferred the Swaro.

Regarding cost; if you absolutely can't afford the Euro stuff I'd suggest the Nikon binos; pretty good for the money.
If we're talking scopes, I wouldn't even consider anything other than Leupold.

The one thing I do like about Swarovski is that they (along with Leupold) have outstanding warranty service. I know of situations with Leica that have taken over a year to resolve.

Last edited by waggler; 04/26/19 01:40 PM.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525925
04/26/19 01:46 PM
04/26/19 01:46 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Hupurest

Jim

leica makes some fine glass, and I like their products, however, their customer service and support to me, is lacking, and i choose not to buy thier products (other than the rangefinder). Lecia riflescopes were (i haven't seen the newest ones) some amazing pieces of glass, and are every bit as good as Swarovski, if not a tad bit crisper for me.

But, again, the customer service, and the range in which they offered their rifle scopes, wasn't for me.

as for Nikon, they have picked up their glass game in the past 3-5 years. I think that the Monarch are as good, if not a little better than the leupold VX-III line.
You are correct in that Nikon makes great astronomical as well as photography lenses, but that doesnt seem to directly correlate to rifle scopes.
I assume it has something to do with the price point for their scopes, and what segment of the market they are trying to be in.

Like all top end brands, there just aren't many that sit and battle it out to be the best, which usually means most expensive. Vehicles is one example that comes to mind quick, there just aren't alot of super car brands, but there are plenty in the low and mid-range brands.

Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica are known for top of the line glass and products, and focus mainly on that line, with some smaller lines in the mid-price range.

then you have leupold, vortex, nikon, solidifying the middle ground, and simmons, tasco picking up the crumbs and walmart crowd.

Vortex are over priced for the quality that you get, however, that price includes the "lifetime warranty" which seems to be their best selling point. While it works for a lot of people, failure, no matter the warranty is just not an option for some, like myself.
I'm not flying in or hiking in to a sheep hunt, to have a scope issue, and not be able to hunt. i don't care what the warranty is, failure is unacceptable to me. Perhaps, deer hunting 1/2 mile from the truck or house, and having a glass issue is more tenable for some.

I learned my lesson on a saskatchewan deer hunt. last light, big buck came in, I watched him through my Swaro binos and new i wanted to harvest that deer. When i pulled up the rifle, with the VX-3 3.5-10x50mm scope, it was darker than the inside of a cow and I couldn't see anything, let alone the deer. saving a couple hundred dollars buying a Leupold vs a Swarovski scope cost me a deer on a $3,500 hunt. That's when i made the decision to upgrade all my glass and never settle for anything less than the best again.

long story short, dont impulse buy your glass. if you have a mediocre scope or binos now, dont just buy a new pair thats a little bit better. keep using the stuff you have and save to buy the best. You will not ever regret it....

I have never had a customer who after talking with me, and spent the extra money come back and say they made a poor choice. Instead, they come back, and buy more, upgrading the rest of what they have, because it just cant compare. I have never had a "as good for the money, or bang for buck" exclaimers agree with their initial statement after looking through Swarovski or Leica, most of the time, they parrot something they read on a forum or what their buddy said, and have never even held, let alone used in the field a pair of the high end binos.

What in their customer service don't you like?

(Careful, trick question.)

Last edited by hippie; 04/26/19 01:49 PM.
Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525926
04/26/19 01:47 PM
04/26/19 01:47 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I have Zeiss binoculars (yes, I know it is a binocular) and have been using Leupold scopes for over three decades. I've spent countless hours glassing and a fraction of that with a rifle held to my shoulder. I've owned Nikon scopes as well. You don't need to spend a grand or more to get a quality scope and I can't think of a single instance where I felt I had inadequate optics.

Re: ................................. Binocular help [Re: Hupurest] #6525999
04/26/19 03:10 PM
04/26/19 03:10 PM
Iowa
B
Bristleback Offline
trapper
Bristleback  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
I agree with Hup on favoring Swarovski over Leica and Zeiss. I personally found the Zeiss to not be as ergonomically fitting and they always "felt" heavier when comparing same size/power glass (binos here). As far as Leica, I had numerous customers share their customer experience and it is very well known in the industry they're absolute sticklers on warranty work...…...if you're NOT the original OWNER, registered your glass within the registration timeframe......you were "up a creek"; and if your glass is registered many have found their customer service to be less than stellar. Swarovski on the other hand has excellent customer service. I've had to replace an eye cup or two over they years and they've always been excellent to deal with.

I've discouraged several customers from buying "right now" and saving up and buying one of the top 3. I've had several come back and thank me for that advice, no one, yet has ever complained following this advice. Look at your glass as a small investment...….you'll own it, use it for 10-20+++ years...…..and be using the VERY BEST. Divide the price out over 10-20 years and most can get past the initial sticker shock.

I'll butcher this line, phrase or general thought...….a dear friend of mine has made the comment several times...…….and it goes something like...…….premium binoculars are not found on a peg and for sure are not in a clam pack!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread