No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525922
04/26/19 01:42 PM
04/26/19 01:42 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Having been hunting waterfowl for over 50 years, and having come from a family that used up ALL the edible parts, I have cleaned one big pile of gizzards in my day. Loved eating them then, and now. That being said, I was a total skeptic when all the lead-is-the-devil talk started up years ago. I no longer think that way concerning the waterfowl/lead question. I can count on one hand the number of lead pellets I have found in a gizzard. Most were nearly worn down to nothing. I assume a gizzard makes quick work of a lead pellet, but don't know. What I DO know is this.....after steel became the law, I started finding steel shot in gizzards often, and they were always shined up good by the gizzards. On the other hand it is still hard for me to believe condors and other raptors get lead in their systems as often as is reported, simply because I can't imagine that many deer laying around with bullets, or fragments thereof, in their carcass waiting to be fed on. And how many gut piles have lead? I do believe that not all the people doing those studies are out to fudge the statistics as a means to end the consumptive use of wildlife, some, yes, but not all. Now if you want to talk fishing sinkers......that's a separate deal. Knowing how many sinkers I have left in the rivers in my lifetime, I can only imagine the tonnage of lead that would be found below some spillways like Michigan's Tippy Dam. The day will likely come when those areas will literally be mined to remove the lead load that is there.

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: Getting There] #6525942
04/26/19 02:00 PM
04/26/19 02:00 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by Getting There
ebfarmer;
I do a lot ADC work in the spring and fall, mostly the big three. Racoons, opossums and skunks.. I would dispatch them with a 22 short. I would just leave them in place in the field for everything to eat. The same place every time. I would only be 1 to 3 day and they are gone. I wondered what was eating them. So I put out a game camera, first up a Great Horned Owl then a fox but just took a sniff, a coyote again just a look and sniff. Next was a adult Bald Eagle, he was eating on one of the Raccoon, then the vultures moved in and run the Eagle off. I still dispatch the game the same way but they go in a plastic bag and go in the garbage.

I should have known better. This is FIO, people will keep doing what they do. Look at drinking and driving, killing people everyday but is still goes on everyday. JMO

Every hog I've ate received a 22 bullet, are you saying that poisoned me?

Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6525975
04/26/19 02:47 PM
04/26/19 02:47 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Did I mention the scientific fact that lead is a heavy material and should sink below the lighter materials it lands on in a rather short time frame. Anybody who searches for gold knows it usually is not laying around on top to scoop up. I wish it did, I'd be rich.

Who is John Galt?
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6526066
04/26/19 05:56 PM
04/26/19 05:56 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Hippie
You would have to get a blood test to see if you have lead poisoning. Never shot a pig, I would think it would take a larger round.
A lot of birds are effected by lead, and I do not mean shooting them. LOL

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: How toxic is lead, really? [Re: ebfarmer] #6526077
04/26/19 06:35 PM
04/26/19 06:35 PM
Manitoba Canada
M
MB Coonguy Offline
trapper
MB Coonguy  Offline
trapper
M

Manitoba Canada
I used to walk around all the time when I was around 12 or so with a mouth full of lead pellets for airguns-thats what I shot all my squirrels with during jr high school .Now whether lead pellets(bulldogs) back then were or are actually lead I am not sure but that what they said they were made of anyway.I am still alive so so far so good.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread