No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: James] #6526923
04/27/19 09:19 PM
04/27/19 09:19 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
Originally Posted by James
The treaty never threatened our Second Amendment rights, get it?

THE US CONSTITUTION IS THE HIGHEST LAW IN OUR LAND. Not some foreign treaty. Trump's lawyers told him that.

That leaves posturing as his motive.

Jim
........and why do our otter and bobcats need a cities tag then?convention on the international trade of endangered species act ..ring any bells for you james? same thing will happen with firearms that are made here!

Last edited by wallfur; 04/27/19 09:28 PM.
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: cmcf] #6526931
04/27/19 09:25 PM
04/27/19 09:25 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by cmcf
If I remember the first time this treaty came around I had my FFL .As it was explained to me by the BATF it would directly effect the importation, and export of most small arms. What could and couldn't be imported and most importantly to American manufacturers what couldn't be exported. By the way Jim if it ain't made here, Browning, Saco, Sig Saur. Winchester shotguns etc. etc. and it can't be imported, well the second amendment doesn't matter. And the huge loss of revenue to American mfgs. matters a great deal.

Great Job Mr. President!!!!!!

Now, there's a good job at refuting my argument. Some others here should pay attention.

I'll get back to you, cmcf. Have to think about your argument, maybe research it when I have more time.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: wallfur] #6526934
04/27/19 09:26 PM
04/27/19 09:26 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by wallfur

THE US CONSTITUTION IS THE HIGHEST LAW IN OUR LAND. Not some foreign treaty. Trump's lawyers told him that.

Jim
........and why do our otter and bobcats need a cities tag then?convention on the international trade of endangered species act ..ring any belles for you james?

Not sure I understand your point. There is no Constitutional right to trap, so a treaty duly approved by the Senate does apply.

States can and have banned trapping.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6526939
04/27/19 09:30 PM
04/27/19 09:30 PM
idaho
W
wallfur Offline
trapper
wallfur  Offline
trapper
W

idaho
same thing will happen with American made guns

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6526958
04/27/19 09:55 PM
04/27/19 09:55 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Why are the facts in this not being presented, and I am not asking a question, but posting these points which need to be considered.

Why did it take the President two and a half years to announce this, as this was an Obama treaty, and the fact is that Republican Mitch McConnell is the one who deserves credit for not moving this forward to a vote.
So of course what the President did was political for 2020.

I hope that people here remember that this President promised a national carry law, and he has not fulfilled that promise. Instead this UN treaty which was going nowhere is thrown out to gain support.

For those who are not aware, this President banned an entire genre of Russian made firearms for importation under Sec. of Treasury Steve Mnuchin, which was built on the Obama ban of Saiga civilian firearms.
As a reminder, this President banned bump stocks.

For the disclaimer, I am not criticizing the President on withdrawing the US from the UN treaty. I am making the point that he took over 2 years to do it, and only threw this bone to gun owners, to distract them from his failure at national carry.

Until the focus is placed on what gun owners elected this President for, in national carry, to end American gun buyers being punished for what Russia did or did not do, they have not gotten a thing.

Most of the guns "manufactured" in the United States are from Belgian or foreign ownership, and the firearms are made in Turkey. To make America Great Again, should not it be a policy of our government, as it was when John Olin and DuPont were managing things, that our gun corporations are 100% American owned, and manufactured inside the United States, for jobs and affordable guns. With modern technology there is not any reason that the United States can not make quality affordable firearms here.

As the NRA is involved in a lawsuit for what is criminal graft and money laundering, American gun owners are not getting what they donated to or voted for. The excuse that the President is not a democrat is accepting being manipulated. Democrats and liberals can always ram things through, sign executive orders, but when it comes to people on the right we are always told to wait till the next election.

All I want is what was promised in 2016 and before. All I want is the government assistance to promote American firearms and ownership, which has been a basis of America since her founding. Is it so much to expect the same rights that George Washington, Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan had when growing up?

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: star flakes] #6526968
04/27/19 10:11 PM
04/27/19 10:11 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by star flakes
Until the focus is placed on what gun owners elected this President for, in national carry, to end American gun buyers being punished for what Russia did or did not do, they have not gotten a thing.

This gun-owner voted for this President primarily for the federal judges he would nominate, most importantly the two (and quite possibly three) SCOTUS justices but also the scores of judges nominated/appointed to US courts of appeal and circuit courts.

To say gun-owners have not gotten a thing from this President is false. I'm as disappointed as the next guy about some of the things you mention but the appointment of all those conservative federal judges is huge.

Eh...wot?

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6526981
04/27/19 10:33 PM
04/27/19 10:33 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
UUUGE!

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: cmcf] #6527025
04/28/19 12:17 AM
04/28/19 12:17 AM
Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Hodagtrapper Offline
Muskrat Master
Hodagtrapper  Offline
Muskrat Master

Northern Wisconsin,Rhinelander
Originally Posted by cmcf
UUUGE!

Bigger than UUUGE!

Chris

>>In God we trust<<
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6527050
04/28/19 04:28 AM
04/28/19 04:28 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Cmcf, I said I'd get back to you.

After half an hour of Googling, I still couldn't find the actual treaty. So I gave up the search. I'm still sure that a foreign treaty is subordinate to our Constitution, including the Second Amendment.

But the Second Amendment doesn't say that we have a right to buy imported guns, or to export our domestic guns. At least I don't know of any legal case that says so. So it appears you have a plausible argument, have pointed out a genuine risk.

I don't think an administration and Congress that respect the Second Amendment would allow the treaty to be used that way. But there is a real risk we could have an administration after 2020 that is hostile to the Second Amendment.

I reserve the right to change my opinion if new information comes to light, but for now I concede the battlefield. Good argument, sir.

Jim

Last edited by James; 04/28/19 04:29 AM.

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6527053
04/28/19 04:37 AM
04/28/19 04:37 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
A technical point that doesn't affect my post above:

Trump didn't withdraw the US from the treaty. What he did was withdraw the treaty from Senate consideration.

Obama had submitted the treaty for Senate approval, but the Republican-led Senate refused to act on it.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: James] #6527068
04/28/19 06:32 AM
04/28/19 06:32 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Cmcf, I said I'd get back to you.

After half an hour of Googling, I still couldn't find the actual treaty. So I gave up the search. I'm still sure that a foreign treaty is subordinate to our Constitution, including the Second Amendment.

But the Second Amendment doesn't say that we have a right to buy imported guns, or to export our domestic guns. At least I don't know of any legal case that says so. So it appears you have a plausible argument, have pointed out a genuine risk.

I don't think an administration and Congress that respect the Second Amendment would allow the treaty to be used that way. But there is a real risk we could have aadministration after 2020 that is hostile to the Second Amendment.

I reserve the right to change my opinion if new information comes to light, but for now I concede the battlefield. Good argument, sir.

Jim

It's the same end around of our rights Clinton used to ban semi' s in the nineties, didn't ban the gun, just the manufacture and import.

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: James] #6527151
04/28/19 09:43 AM
04/28/19 09:43 AM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline
trapper
brianmall  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana

Jim

No I don't get it! Then why have the treaty?

It's power depends on who we have in office that would or would not apply it to us in such a way that would infringe upon our rights.

Trump isn't postering! That what all the other RINOS are and have been doing for the last 16 years!

Trump skinned them Smoke wagons and is taking the fight to our communist Democratic party and RINO traitors!

That's what we voted for! Someone who would not "posture"! But put it all on the line and go to war for America!

MAGA!

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6527153
04/28/19 09:45 AM
04/28/19 09:45 AM
Indiana
B
brianmall Offline
trapper
brianmall  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
Lol

Trump is dismantling the communist global agenda piece by piece!

That's what's got ya worked up!

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Lugnut] #6527195
04/28/19 10:45 AM
04/28/19 10:45 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by star flakes

This gun-owner voted for this President primarily for the federal judges he would nominate, most importantly the two (and quite possibly three) SCOTUS justices but also the scores of judges nominated/appointed to US courts of appeal and circuit courts.

To say gun-owners have not gotten a thing from this President is false. I'm as disappointed as the next guy about some of the things you mention but the appointment of all those conservative federal judges is huge.

I agree about the judges issue. On the other hand I believe the groundwork for disaster has been put in place. Justice Thomas has said he will not retire during this term of Trump's presidency. I think that is a big mistake. Just like Kennedy not retiring while Obama was in office. That worked out well for us.

The senate electoral math is against Republicans in 2020. If the Dems take the senate, and/or the presidency........our slim control on the court will be gone forever. If Thomas passes or retires even after the end of 2019, we and the 2nd A are in trouble. Whoever Trump might nominate at that point will get the Merrick Garland argument from the Dems. I wouldn't trust The Turtle to stand up to them.

As far as Star Flakes angst about the president not passing a law.............Why not blame Ryan & McConnell ? That's the way it works.

Frankly I am glad there is no national carry law. IMO that is a horrible idea.

Mean As Nails
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6527213
04/28/19 11:11 AM
04/28/19 11:11 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I have no reasonable, factual argument why you might be wrong White, but I'm sincerely hoping you are.

I'm betting on Trump winning a second term and Ms. Ginsburg being unable to continue. I'm also betting on Trump continuing to place conservative federal judges.

The senate, I don't know?

Why do you oppose national carry?

Eh...wot?

Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6527215
04/28/19 11:13 AM
04/28/19 11:13 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline OP
trapper
Marty  Offline OP
trapper

North East Kansas
SCOTUS rulings that prohibit 2nd amendment infringements by states is better than any national ccl law.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Lugnut] #6527225
04/28/19 11:25 AM
04/28/19 11:25 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I have no reasonable, factual argument why you might be wrong White, but I'm sincerely hoping you are.

I'm betting on Trump winning a second term and Ms. Ginsburg being unable to continue. I'm also betting on Trump continuing to place conservative federal judges.

The senate, I don't know?

Why do you oppose national carry?

Ginsburg should be coming back from Moyle's any day now.

-Goofy-
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6527244
04/28/19 11:49 AM
04/28/19 11:49 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Justice Thomas will be 71 in June so good Lord willin, he's got a lot of time left. I think he's banking on Trump winning in 2020 and Ginsburg not being able to stay on. That would then give Trump two more Justice picks. I to oppose National carry but only because it should be Constitutional carry for all of the US. But if done right National carry would be an upgrade to all the different State laws that are confusing.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: Marty] #6527249
04/28/19 11:53 AM
04/28/19 11:53 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
With national carry...it only takes one act of a democrat congress or E/O to end it completely. With each state in control of its own laws, we have at least 50 chances theoretically, to prevail

Mean As Nails
Re: No more UN arms trade treaty for USA..... [Re: white17] #6527263
04/28/19 12:15 PM
04/28/19 12:15 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by white17
With national carry...it only takes one act of a democrat congress or E/O to end it completely. With each state in control of its own laws, we have at least 50 chances theoretically, to prevail

Interesting point. I am hoping though, the New York State Rifle and Pistol Assoc v New York ruling, will make that point mute. I'm not asking for much. grin

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread