Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6534917
05/09/19 11:18 PM
05/09/19 11:18 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
So your going to make blind trail sets where there Isn't a trail?
Those 2 tracks are traveled daily by farm machinery In some locations. So I can't see setting In a tire track. A dirt hole or a flat set just off the track will catch some critters. And your traps won't get John Deered.

We can't set road right ways anymore so that Is out of play. And It's true some of those bigger culverts are prime travel ways for lots of critters. But 12 and 18" culverts aren't very attractive to coyotes or fox.
I can see where In cattle country where those trails would be a good locations. But In our area most cows are on factory farms and they aren't being pastured.
As to coyotes crossing main roads. It kind of surprised me In this study were involved In that only one coyote out of the 8 we caught On this one property crossed the main HI way.

Every area calls for different types of sets. You just have to decide on what fits your system and what catches the most fur with a minim of work.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6535655
05/11/19 07:35 AM
05/11/19 07:35 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
I drive my truck to every location, blind set the tire tracks. where you lead they will follow... great place for a subtle flat set also.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6535702
05/11/19 09:11 AM
05/11/19 09:11 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I would assume your leaving tire tracks In the snow. That may work some time but the first little bit of wind or a light snow fall Is putting you out of commission. And of course your going to have to set both tracks since you don't know what track they will take.
Then of course when the big snows come your not going to be able to drive to all of those locations.
In my opinion when the snow starts to fall It's time to put away the traps and start hanging cable but then that's just me.

I had a lot better luck when I backed up to a high spot and did a burn out thus leaving bare ground where I could make the set.

Last edited by The Beav; 05/11/19 09:11 AM.

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6535725
05/11/19 09:49 AM
05/11/19 09:49 AM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
If I have to use CR which we do in in Lyxn protection zone for Bobcats,,,, I just use a trap .
Alive is alive and no damage is better than CRs

Kenneth schoening
Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6559064
06/20/19 11:33 AM
06/20/19 11:33 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Good info

I was just thinking more about blind sets recently..Have a good farm for coyote but the neighbor dogs like it too..I gave it up, but I’m thinking of trapping it this year and just using blind sets..baited lure sets are a problem..

My biggest question would be on how to get mr coyote to place his foot on my pan?
Sure sticks would help like Ryan uses but at the same time I’m wondering if this would break the stride of the coyote? On a 2 track in a more open area maybe like a pipeline I would think the sticks would be a deterrent? I have a long running pipeline that I trap and the coyotes travel pretty consistent unless hunting.
Now how do I get them to step on the pan?

Maybe we can give some input on how to get mr coyote to step where our pan is..thanks

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6559223
06/20/19 04:30 PM
06/20/19 04:30 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
Buy a copy of Conner's blind set and bobcat DVD's, lots of answers in those.

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: ambush32] #6559341
06/20/19 07:26 PM
06/20/19 07:26 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by ambush32
Good info

I was just thinking more about blind sets recently..Have a good farm for coyote but the neighbor dogs like it too..I gave it up, but I’m thinking of trapping it this year and just using blind sets..baited lure sets are a problem..

My biggest question would be on how to get mr coyote to place his foot on my pan?
Sure sticks would help like Ryan uses but at the same time I’m wondering if this would break the stride of the coyote? On a 2 track in a more open area maybe like a pipeline I would think the sticks would be a deterrent? I have a long running pipeline that I trap and the coyotes travel pretty consistent unless hunting.
Now how do I get them to step on the pan?

Maybe we can give some input on how to get mr coyote to step where our pan is..thanks

Coyotes walk over sticks on a trail on a daily basis. Trees drop them constantly. I'm talking sticks maybe two inches at most off the ground in an x. Just enough to get the foot centered. Even out in the open I catch them I believe I showed a picture of it earlier in this thread.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6559461
06/20/19 10:43 PM
06/20/19 10:43 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
For coons in the south blind trail sets are hard to beat. They are a low maintenance and high percentage set. They outperform any sort of baited set including DP's for me.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6559675
06/21/19 10:23 AM
06/21/19 10:23 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Don't know If you would consider 160 or a 220 a blind trail set. But It will out preform any foot hold trap when trapping coon.

Where legal

Last edited by The Beav; 06/21/19 10:24 AM.

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6560272
06/22/19 08:41 AM
06/22/19 08:41 AM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline
trapper

Communist State Of New York
As you can see from the photos, the length of stride over a stick is uneven. When traveling toward a stick the coyote will place his foot close to the stick but further away from the stick as he steps over it. Unless you know the direction of travel you may miss the coyote. I often use a set of small sticks in a X with a second stick after the trap. The X centers the foot. So it looks like this... X O l The O represents the trap. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6560308
06/22/19 10:01 AM
06/22/19 10:01 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Archery nice reference photos...my thoughts were the same if the coyote enters from the other direction..
X0I will surely help with this...good info thanks

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6560317
06/22/19 10:14 AM
06/22/19 10:14 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Wade thanks...my thoughts when a coyote is using an area like the one in my pic with sticks in place would it just cause him to just go around or step out as the area he's traveling is not a tight game trail..
Guess I'm just over thinking...I have trapped this line for coyotes they use it a lot for travel ways and it runs for miles but coyotes don't work my sets no matter what I've tried..not sure why, so I thought blind sets would be a good option..

image.jpg

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: The Beav] #6560361
06/22/19 12:16 PM
06/22/19 12:16 PM
Mountain View, AR
S
ShaneT Offline
trapper
ShaneT  Offline
trapper
S

Mountain View, AR
Originally Posted by The Beav
Don't know If you would consider 160 or a 220 a blind trail set. But It will out preform any foot hold trap when trapping coon.

Where legal

Definitely consider bodygrips set in trails as blind sets as long as there is no attractor and that is what I find myself using most of the time away from the water. When the situation dictates a non lethal set, I do pretty well with blind set footholds on high bank trails and trails away from the water.

If I am in or along the water 1.5 coils or #2 longs are my go to for coon blind sets. As long as I am not having to dig a bed ( i.e in the mud)
I can put in a foot trap on a drowner almost as quick as I can stick in a bodygrip as I don't have to worry about finding a perfect spot or doing any blocking besides laying a stick across the trail for foot placement.

"Good Lord, thank you for your endless bounty. Lord please give me the strength to gather what I need"
Re: Straight blind sets [Re: ambush32] #6561338
06/24/19 12:15 AM
06/24/19 12:15 AM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
Originally Posted by ambush32
Wade thanks...my thoughts when a coyote is using an area like the one in my pic with sticks in place would it just cause him to just go around or step out as the area he's traveling is not a tight game trail..
Guess I'm just over thinking...I have trapped this line for coyotes they use it a lot for travel ways and it runs for miles but coyotes don't work my sets no matter what I've tried..not sure why, so I thought blind sets would be a good option..

Get off the road.

See it here sometimes, especially in the spring. They’ll run the two tracks but “shut down” when doing so. They’ll go right by and absolutely ignore a set. Find where they’re entering and leaving the road, get off it sometimes just 10 yards, and bam.

Last edited by Boone Liane; 06/24/19 12:17 AM.
Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6562579
06/26/19 06:56 AM
06/26/19 06:56 AM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
From archery guys pics. Length of stride over a stick is dependent. Foot placement before stick is dependent. Speed of coyote can be dependent. Size of coyote is independent. Direction of coyote can be estimated, by us. There are things you can control , and things you have no control over. You will have misses in blind sets, and you will have misses in hole sets.

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6562657
06/26/19 09:22 AM
06/26/19 09:22 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Put a pipe in the grass between the two tracks. Not exactly a blind set, but it should get’em searching and stepping. Been using that set here lately and you can see in the sand where they pass and come back to check out the smell and sometimes get caught.

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6562673
06/26/19 09:36 AM
06/26/19 09:36 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Making blind sets In the winter with snow on the ground would be a tough call.
Some one said they made blind sets In their tire tracks. So when your checking those sets are you just driving around the set or just sitting back and checking from a distance? I always wondered about those northern guys that made sets In their snowmobile tracks. Must be Ok just to drive over them. But not so much with a truck.

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: The Beav] #6562684
06/26/19 09:54 AM
06/26/19 09:54 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Some one said they made blind sets In their tire tracks. So when your checking those sets are you just driving around the set or just sitting back and checking from a distance? I always wondered about those northern guys that made sets In their snowmobile tracks. Must be Ok just to drive over them. But not so much with a truck.

I’d be resetting a lot of traps, lol! Even setting off to the side of the 2 tracks you have to take in account of tractors as well. They tend to be a little wider that the tracks themselves...ask me how I know!!!

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: WadeRyan] #6562721
06/26/19 11:25 AM
06/26/19 11:25 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline
trapper
ambush32  Offline
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Wanna be..I’ll try it..have some pipe ready actually..

Boone I did set trails in and out of this area still no luck..It’s public land seems to be quite busy for coyote hunters..did catch 7 fox in and around this area..but no coyotes..

Re: Straight blind sets [Re: The Beav] #6564566
06/29/19 02:57 AM
06/29/19 02:57 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska

Most times when I've seen people set snares or such in tire tracks they have one set of tracks that they have the snares on, and set as they drive through. Then they have another set of tracks just far enough off the first set to check the snares. You'll probably have some take the tracks you're using to check, but there's always the option of them going a different way anyways. I have tried it in the past in deeper snow. I think it's pretty useless unless you're talking over 6 inches or so. They do seem to like to take those tracks and you can't really blame them. A lot easier running.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91