No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Anti Protest: Change the Narrative #6527910
04/29/19 09:13 AM
04/29/19 09:13 AM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
I call this, `Anti Fur Protest Encourages "copy cat syndrome" by using illegal trap with TEETH`

https://www.trappersreport.com/stor...at-syndrome-with-illegal-trap-with-TEETH

Is it somehow illegal to encourage illegal behavior?
Is it unethical at a minimum to tell children, "We know you're going to do stuff when your parents are away....so when you feel like trapping an animal (even though you're not supposed to), make sure to TORTURE IT WITH TEETH?"

Seems like the focus should have been on that, not hurting conservationists.

My question (take Pres. out of it, we know what happened there): For basic, general stuff: When in America did saying the most illegal, wrong, and dangerous things just to prove a point become acceptable? When did it become legal? When did using a clearly children's cartoon figure to prove the erroneous point become allowed?

Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6527974
04/29/19 10:54 AM
04/29/19 10:54 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Your basic point is well taken, but........Be careful claiming that traps with teeth are "illegal." They are not prohibited in all jurisdictions.

Pete

Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6528062
04/29/19 01:31 PM
04/29/19 01:31 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
I didn't know that. Where are they permitted? Are they permitted in NH where they had the protest? I looked at the NH trapping manual (http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/18NHHD-LR9.pdf) and it made no mention of teeth, almost as if it were a given they were outlawed.

If that's the case, then I think the statement of them being illegal would be correct; not just in letter of the law but spirit of the law too. No?

(note: website called "eregulations.com" is directly referred from .gov site....it must just be the name they're using referenced here: https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/hunting/trapping.html)

Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6528582
04/30/19 10:34 AM
04/30/19 10:34 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
I am not familiar with other jurisdictions, (nor do I pass judgment on them!)

In Alaska, traps with teeth are legal and regularly used.

I did not mention this for any other reason that I think trappers' arguments should be factual. If, during arguments, one makes a blanket statement like "Traps with teeth just aren't legal anymore" then you are technically incorrect. We fault the antis for making blanket statements that are not correct. We should not do the same thing. If they are not legal in the state you are discussing, be specific to be factual.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited by Pete in Frbks; 04/30/19 10:38 AM.
Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6528587
04/30/19 10:42 AM
04/30/19 10:42 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
4-5 years ago KS got a jaw spread restriction and no teeth on dry land. No restrictions on water sets still.

The whole teeth thing is kinda like the black rifle thing. They look scary so people want them banned.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: danny clifton] #6529306
05/01/19 10:18 AM
05/01/19 10:18 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted by danny clifton
4-5 years ago KS got a jaw spread restriction and no teeth on dry land. No restrictions on water sets still.

The whole teeth thing is kinda like the black rifle thing. They look scary so people want them banned.

Great analogy!

Pete

Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6529334
05/01/19 10:51 AM
05/01/19 10:51 AM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
The anti's I come across tend to be very short on actual facts, and very long on their mantra which they have been programmed to repeat over and over again, which is purely based on emotion.
What is sickening is the more their mantra is repeated, the more repeat it.

It's like that old saying if you want a lie to become truth, just keep repeating it... which is all too commonplace in our Government today.

But yes - facts are ultra important.

I watched a young woman try to start something when the Connecticut Trapper Assoc had a booth set up at a hunting and fishing expo.
She went on and on and on about hiking and what if her dog got caught blah blah blah... and one of the gents from CTA calmly replied "well, if you dog gets caught you're both trespassing" and that simple statement completely shut her down - since she was not wired to have a response to truth [as our trapping regulations are super strict]

Facts always win, but it takes time and much suffering to sometimes get the point across.

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6529338
05/01/19 10:56 AM
05/01/19 10:56 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Are there any trap manufacturing companys still making traps with teeth?
I know the LPC make traps with hard rubber nubs,that passed the aihts testing with flying colours.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6529342
05/01/19 11:00 AM
05/01/19 11:00 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
We can use traps with teeth In WI as long as they are In the water.

Back In the day when the WI DNR was doing wolf research they had to much foot damage when using regular jawed steel traps. So they went to using either 114s or 14s and the foot damage went away.
These teeth are blunt and keep the animals foot from sliding around In the trap.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6529421
05/01/19 01:12 PM
05/01/19 01:12 PM
New York
N
nyhuntfish Offline OP
trapper
nyhuntfish  Offline OP
trapper
N

New York
Hmmmmmm. Ok I'll change it.

My points stand though. I don't have time to debate it.

New link:
https://www.trappersreport.com/stor...s-copy-cat-syndrome-with-trap-with-TEETH

(the site certificate is broken until next week. Need the server for something; this little toy of mine that doesn't make money is on an old machine that has some database stuff we need so just "push it through" if it says the site is "dangerous").

Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: nyhuntfish] #6529458
05/01/19 02:09 PM
05/01/19 02:09 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Beav, is that the same as this style trap in the picture here ??
I bought that as a collectors item, and I also recall reading elsewhere what you mentioned regarding less damage done to the wolves [which were being relocated if I recall correctly...] by these style traps because as you state, the wolf is held in place, no sliding/etc.... [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Anti Protest: Change the Narrative [Re: The Beav] #6530076
05/02/19 11:35 AM
05/02/19 11:35 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted by The Beav
We can use traps with teeth In WI as long as they are In the water.

Back In the day when the WI DNR was doing wolf research they had to much foot damage when using regular jawed steel traps. So they went to using either 114s or 14s and the foot damage went away.
These teeth are blunt and keep the animals foot from sliding around In the trap.

Excellent point about the live trapping of wolves with toothed traps Gary. I had been aware of that, but had forgotten.

Pete

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread