No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529086
04/30/19 10:24 PM
04/30/19 10:24 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Newt is a nice guy. I have met him in person.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529095
04/30/19 10:33 PM
04/30/19 10:33 PM
San Antonio , Texas
Y
Yotegiter Offline
trapper
Yotegiter  Offline
trapper
Y

San Antonio , Texas
That’s amazing I’ve learned an entirely new species of animal today. Never in my life heard of anything like it. Is there a season on them? Do they have fur value?

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529114
04/30/19 11:06 PM
04/30/19 11:06 PM
Meridian, Idaho
10bands Offline
trapper
10bands  Offline
trapper

Meridian, Idaho
I've heard of them but don't know anything about them. When it comes to staking/anchoring consider what else could possibly get in the trap especially if you're using bait. That could attract lot's of other critters.

If you're pretty sure you'll catch nothing but boomers then 16 or 14 gauge wire from the trap to the nearest tree/bush/whatever would be fine. Have some stakes of some sort handy in case nature doesn't provide something right where you need it.

If it's possible to get something else in the trap like a coon, possum or skunk then be sure you anchor/stake well enough to hold one.

Also consider any of the above or a coyote or fox finding a dead boomer in a trap. They'll run off with the trap and all if they can.

I think the most important thing for you to do is take lots of pics and/or videos and then share them with us here.

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Yotegiter] #6529150
05/01/19 01:47 AM
05/01/19 01:47 AM
Oregom
W
Wayofthewoodsman Offline OP
trapper
Wayofthewoodsman  Offline OP
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by Yotegiter
That’s amazing I’ve learned an entirely new species of animal today. Never in my life heard of anything like it. Is there a season on them? Do they have fur value?

No value in the fur, most guys just toss them although they may contain the largest species of fleas and those are worth something to insect collectors but doubt I will find any of those.

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: 10bands] #6529151
05/01/19 01:50 AM
05/01/19 01:50 AM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by 10bands
I've heard of them but don't know anything about them. When it comes to staking/anchoring consider what else could possibly get in the trap especially if you're using bait. That could attract lot's of other critters.

If you're pretty sure you'll catch nothing but boomers then 16 or 14 gauge wire from the trap to the nearest tree/bush/whatever would be fine. Have some stakes of some sort handy in case nature doesn't provide something right where you need it.

If it's possible to get something else in the trap like a coon, possum or skunk then be sure you anchor/stake well enough to hold one.

Also consider any of the above or a coyote or fox finding a dead boomer in a trap. They'll run off with the trap and all if they can.

I think the most important thing for you to do is take lots of pics and/or videos and then share them with us here.

Thank you for the advice! From my understanding skunks commonly get in the boomer traps and coyotes are an issue as well so I will definitely stake them down. I will definitely do my best on getting pictures and videos to share.

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529154
05/01/19 02:21 AM
05/01/19 02:21 AM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
If you are using 110 body traps, I'm not sure why coyotes would be a problem.

Remember, the skulls have value. Must be adult skulls and no damage at all. The pelts do have value in the winter. Not for fur but for the craft/novelty market. Make sure in your contract that it is legal for you to sell parts of the animals you catch,

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529169
05/01/19 05:09 AM
05/01/19 05:09 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
I have a few questions for Wayofthewoodsman.

How is it that you are qualified to accept a trapping job for a private timber company? You say that you are new to the game and do not know what traps are necessary to do the job. You also ask what other gear is necessary - stakes, flags, tags? By your question about a trap setter and setting traps, I wonder if you have ever seen any traps in person. Do you have any experience trapping anything with any type of trap?

The reason that I point out those issues and ask those questions is so I can give some free advice. It may be extremely worthwhile to find someone who will work with you to teach you enough about what you are planning to do that you have a foundation upon which you can have some success and continue to learn.

Make sure that you are in compliance with fur trapping regulations or nuisance trapping regulations whichever apply in your situation.

I want to suggest that you get some training because paying customers do not want to pay for your training or learning at their expense. Paying customers want results, not excuses.

As one final issue. I understand that you used a common phrase to describe an activity. However trapping is not a game. You will be taking animals lives. The animals deserve some respect. Trapping and trappers deserves some respect.

Best wishes in your new undertaking. You may find that trapping can be quite a consuming activity and business. Consider under promising and over performing - the customer will be impressed.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Willy Firewood] #6529315
05/01/19 10:31 AM
05/01/19 10:31 AM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
I have a few questions for Wayofthewoodsman.

How is it that you are qualified to accept a trapping job for a private timber company? You say that you are new to the game and do not know what traps are necessary to do the job. You also ask what other gear is necessary - stakes, flags, tags? By your question about a trap setter and setting traps, I wonder if you have ever seen any traps in person. Do you have any experience trapping anything with any type of trap?

The reason that I point out those issues and ask those questions is so I can give some free advice. It may be extremely worthwhile to find someone who will work with you to teach you enough about what you are planning to do that you have a foundation upon which you can have some success and continue to learn.

Make sure that you are in compliance with fur trapping regulations or nuisance trapping regulations whichever apply in your situation.

I want to suggest that you get some training because paying customers do not want to pay for your training or learning at their expense. Paying customers want results, not excuses.

As one final issue. I understand that you used a common phrase to describe an activity. However trapping is not a game. You will be taking animals lives. The animals deserve some respect. Trapping and trappers deserves some respect.

Best wishes in your new undertaking. You may find that trapping can be quite a consuming activity and business. Consider under promising and over performing - the customer will be impressed.

These are definitely fair questions. Yes, I am new to trapping for the most part... I was in pest control so definitely have trapped plenty of rodents, moles, gophers and such and understand the patterns of animals. I have had an interest in fur trapping for years and just have not taken the time to get into it. I decided it was time for that to change and to start doing work I love. I got my wildlife control operator's permit several month ago while still doing pest control and have used live traps but just haven't had any jobs where conibears or footholds have been necessary yet. And as far as the private timber company goes, they know my experience level and realize I have the educational side of it and understand and retain information extremely well but do not have much practical application yet. I realize I am new to this but I am a very quick learner so wish me luck and I do appreciate all the help. I came here because you can only read so much... I would rather know firsthand from guys out there doing this stuff. Have a great day!

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529363
05/01/19 11:47 AM
05/01/19 11:47 AM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
Prayers Sent.

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529368
05/01/19 11:51 AM
05/01/19 11:51 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Have fun, way of the woods man, post some pics if you have a chance.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529370
05/01/19 11:52 AM
05/01/19 11:52 AM
La.
G
Gator Foot Offline
trapper
Gator Foot  Offline
trapper
G

La.
Well, I learned something new today! A boomer! To me, that would be a fun challenge to go after. Something new. I would see how they use the land and put up a lot of blind sets. Good luck on your new job! And keep us posted on how it goes.

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529395
05/01/19 12:21 PM
05/01/19 12:21 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Way - excellent answers. You are well on your way. You will learn a lot and have a good background so you will learn fast. The fun part is that there is always more to learn. The longer I do this the more I learn. One very interesting issue that I learned when I first started trapping nearly year round is that the animals respond differently at different times of the year. Best wishes in your new adventure.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529881
05/01/19 11:28 PM
05/01/19 11:28 PM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Again, I want to thank everyone for their input and advice. I ordered about a hundred traps today and that is all so far... I will pick up some wood stakes and some 14 gauge wire locally. My liability insurance got all setup today, so should be trapping next week! I will get some pictures and keep everyone updated and I am sure I will be back with more questions as I get out in the mountains and start to have some new experiences.

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529887
05/02/19 12:05 AM
05/02/19 12:05 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
You might want to try and send a pm to Trapper155 on here. He's from Oregon and has experience with boomer's. Maybe he could give you some helpful insight. He doesn't get on here regularly so I'm not sure if he'll respond right away though.

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6529889
05/02/19 12:07 AM
05/02/19 12:07 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6530091
05/02/19 11:53 AM
05/02/19 11:53 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Man with a name like "Boomer" I was expecting something a little bit bigger. I as well never knew such a thing existed. Good luck... I still think the best way to learn is to get out there and let the animals show you how to get caught.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6530160
05/02/19 02:47 PM
05/02/19 02:47 PM
Ridgefield, WA
B
Bearguy Offline
trapper
Bearguy  Offline
trapper
B

Ridgefield, WA
We of course found Victor to be the best. Bridger was for the money 2nd. You can possibly get a deal if your buying 10 or 12 dozen. About all you need to do this is 110's, flagging tape, and cork boots. The trap stakes and stabilizers are laying around everywhere. We cut a vine maple branch with a cut off branch on the bottom to carry the traps, about 15 at a time. You slide the trap down the stake (branch). I found that fluorescent pink tape showed up the best. You'll also need a "write-in-the-rain" notebook to keep track of traps and catches. Are you planning do this this spring?

All you "Woke" people need to go back to sleep!
Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Bearguy] #6533155
05/07/19 02:53 PM
05/07/19 02:53 PM
Oregom
W
trapper
trapper
W

Oregom
Originally Posted by Bearguy
We of course found Victor to be the best. Bridger was for the money 2nd. You can possibly get a deal if your buying 10 or 12 dozen. About all you need to do this is 110's, flagging tape, and cork boots. The trap stakes and stabilizers are laying around everywhere. We cut a vine maple branch with a cut off branch on the bottom to carry the traps, about 15 at a time. You slide the trap down the stake (branch). I found that fluorescent pink tape showed up the best. You'll also need a "write-in-the-rain" notebook to keep track of traps and catches. Are you planning do this this spring?

Hey, Bearguy yeah I am starting here very shortly on 6 or 7 units for private timber company. Ordered 100 plus traps and preparing them now. Thanks for the tip on the stakes... I really didn't want to buy a ton of stakes since I already spent so much on traps. I bought 2 dozen duke, 2 dozen Bridger and a few Sleepy Creeks ones... figured I would add more Sleepy Creek and Victors as I go when money is not as tight. When you would stake them down did you stake through the spring as well to stabilize or are you just staking the chain ring? Thanks for the tips!

Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6533296
05/07/19 07:28 PM
05/07/19 07:28 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Hey, Way of the woods man. Did you know that Sleepy Creek is going out of business? I predict the price of Sleepy Creek traps are going to go up eventually because of nostalgia. But I could be wrong.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Advice Needed on Ordering Some Traps & Supplies [Re: Wayofthewoodsman] #6533310
05/07/19 07:58 PM
05/07/19 07:58 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
There are plenty of good used 110 body traps available, if you look around. Should be able to pick them up for $30.00 to $35.00 a dozen, plus shipping. No point in buying new traps for your project, IMO.

Oregon Trappers Randy in August might have some available. And the OTC fur sales sell used traps. Too late for this year but if you are going to continue in this business, you might want to check those options for next years Trapping.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread