No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dogs got into a porky #6532425
05/06/19 11:00 AM
05/06/19 11:00 AM
Colorado
B
bacatrapper Offline OP
trapper
bacatrapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

Colorado
My 3 dogs got into a porcupine last nite. They look like a mess. Do I just pull the quills out w pliers? Never had to deal with this before. The joys of country living.........

thread killa
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532435
05/06/19 11:20 AM
Montana
J
J. Brooks Offline
trapper
J. Brooks  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Yep, pull them out as best you can. I use pliers or hemostats.

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532436
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Vet bill would be expensive, I have pulled them myself. If the dog realizes you are the boss you can do it. If they are in his throat be sure to use a stick in his jaws to prevent getting bit. I don't envy your situation. I had airdales and each time they got quills it made them take it out more agressively on the next porky.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532437
Nevada
N
nvwrangler Offline
trapper
nvwrangler  Offline
trapper
N

Nevada
Do them and yourself a favor and go to the vet. If was only 1 or 2 you could pull them but a bunch of quills they should be sedated.

Worst part is they will either leave the next porkie alone of get twice as many quills.

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532438
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Some will come out easy, then you will need a pliers, then you will probably need to go to the vet for the quills inside the mouth. Pull as many without anesthetic so as they understand why they shouldn't mess with porkeys.

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532446
05/06/19 11:37 AM
05/06/19 11:37 AM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Some dogs smarten up, others spend a lifetime trying to get even.

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: J. Brooks] #6532453
05/06/19 11:41 AM
05/06/19 11:41 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by J. Brooks
Yep, pull them out as best you can. I use pliers or hemostats.

You can make it easier if you snip the ends of the quills off, they are hollow and they sort of deflate making them easier to pull, you can also soak them in hydrogen peroxide and they will kind of shrink

Like stated above the ones in the mouth are the worst to deal with, after my first dog got into one I started anti- porky training my dogs doesn’t always work but helps for most of them

Had a coon hound that after the first time hated the things so bad he went out of his way to find and kill every one he ran across got to be a real pro at it and almost never got a single quill in him

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532456
05/06/19 11:44 AM
05/06/19 11:44 AM
Colorado
B
bacatrapper Offline OP
trapper
bacatrapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

Colorado
I got the wifes little mutt cleaned up, he had a few in his chin (10-15). The 2 anatolian/akbash cross goat defenders are ate up with em, its gonna be a chore. They are yuugely big and gnarly. Ill give em all a shot of pen when I get done, I hope I dont get ate. I might need a shot too.

thread killa
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532465
05/06/19 11:58 AM
05/06/19 11:58 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Be sure you look UNDER their tongues.

Mean As Nails
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532480
05/06/19 12:29 PM
05/06/19 12:29 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
The dogs that I have seen that were taken to the vet and sedated for removal almost always go after another porky, sometimes in less than a week. The dogs that we help down and removed with pliers never wanted anything else to do with one. I spent the better part of a day removing half a gallon coffee can of quills from 2 hounds once and until the day they died they never touched another one. Had a whole pack of hog dogs mob a porky one day and one of them killed the thing! Thought he was going to bleed to death before we got all of them out of him. If you do it the easy way they will learn nothing!

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: Davisfur] #6532481
05/06/19 12:33 PM
05/06/19 12:33 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted by Davisfur
The dogs that I have seen that were taken to the vet and sedated for removal almost always go after another porky, sometimes in less than a week. The dogs that we help down and removed with pliers never wanted anything else to do with one. I spent the better part of a day removing half a gallon coffee can of quills from 2 hounds once and until the day they died they never touched another one. Had a whole pack of hog dogs mob a porky one day and one of them killed the thing! Thought he was going to bleed to death before we got all of them out of him. If you do it the easy way they will learn nothing!

Just like people.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532499
05/06/19 01:24 PM
05/06/19 01:24 PM
Montana
J
J. Brooks Offline
trapper
J. Brooks  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
I am not sure what it is about porkies but if I correct a dog on deer they come running back with their tail between their legs. If I correct them on a bayed up porky they will back off but keep trying to get close. It is like they almost cant help themselves.

I have a property loaded with porkies that is owned by a serious bird hunter. He wants every porky dead. My young hounds were getting into them almost every night we ran there looking for coons. Luckily a fair amount of them were up in trees/brush so no quills. I had some they caught on the ground also and pulled lots of quills with my headlamp and a leatherman in the back of my truck. I was shocking them aggressively with every encounter, even when they took a second look at a dead one. Even with all the electricity I was still looking at 2-3 porkies a night. One of the last times I ran there I had a young pup that was barking bayed. My older male ran back to the truck whining and acting half scared but still looking like he wanted to go back to the pup. I walked over to the pup and sure enough he had the porky bayed in a bush but was staying a couple feet back. With me there the older dog got in on the bay but still stayed back. Their actions made me think the juice was finally getting through to them.

15 minutes later I see a porky loping along in front of me. The hounds were working behind me and hadn't seen it or smelled it. I figured it would be a good training experience since it was in the open and I could see the whole run start to finish. I walked to the porky trail and as soon as they hit it they were quickly on the porky but respecting it by a couple feet. I still gave them juice whenever they got what I felt was too close. I managed to get it killed without any quills in the dogs.

My original intent was to try to get the dogs to avoid porkies 100%. However, with the value of porkies and the dismal coon market if I could get them to just avoid getting quilled I am rethinking my stance on that. I think I am making progress. They are still trailing porkies but the last couple runs I haven't had to pull a quill. Feels like I am playing with fire but I also seem to be making progress.

I didn't kill all these but it would take a train load of coon to equal the value of the hair in this box!

[Linked Image]

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532513
05/06/19 01:52 PM
05/06/19 01:52 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I would put a belt around the dogs neck and kneel on that and snip the back off of the quills like said before pulling on them to remove the air in the quill and start pulling, check inside of the mouth also.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532523
05/06/19 02:33 PM
05/06/19 02:33 PM
SE WI
DuxDawg Offline
trapper
DuxDawg  Offline
trapper

SE WI
So much misinformation here. SMH!

Speed and thoroughness are all that matters when pulling quills. Period.

Cutting or soaking the quills is IDIOTIC. Makes zero sense. The part of the quills with the barbs is SOLID. The part that is hollow... DOESN'T MATTER! It's just along for the ride. Doh! Have the people posting this nonsense ever even examined a quill??? Clipping the unimportant hollow portion of the quills doesn't make pulling them any easier, all the while wasting precious time.

Keep this in the very forefront of your mind:
Every movement of the dog's muscles relentlessly pulls the quills DEEPER. Every second counts. Pull as many as you can, as fast as you can.

Take the dog to the vet later if needed, or even just for peace of mind, but FIRST PULL EVERY QUILL YOU CAN.
Pull as many quills as you can right there on the spot. (ALWAYS have a Leatherman on you. Good idea to have hemostats and a quill jig too.) Back at the truck, pull more. Back home, pull more. Think you've got 'em all? Check again every day for months.

Some dogs learn to respect porkies, others never do. We've seen zero correlation between pulling the quills with or without sedation and the dog's future behaviour. That's just another old wives tale. There is neither excuse, nor substitute, for YOUR training of the dog. Vainly hoping to have the quills do the training YOU should have done is lazy, stupid and childish.

Taking the dog to the vet doesn't hurt, but it's no guarantee. I've pulled all I could find (300+), taken the dog to a vet, found and pulled more quills over the next week or two, took the dog to another vet who pulled some more, still pulled a few more quills here and there... three months later pulled what turned out to be the last quill.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
"We are fast approaching... rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532524
05/06/19 02:36 PM
05/06/19 02:36 PM
Colorado
B
bacatrapper Offline OP
trapper
bacatrapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

Colorado
I have been pulling a few at a time, then the dogs run off for a bit. Then I get a few more. The goat defenders both weight 150+ lb, about the same as me. I dont think I can wrestle em. I thought about running em in the calf table and squeezing em and laying em over, and pulling em. I think ill work on em over the next day or so, maybe they will learn their lesson. They are miserable. I have pulled a few hundred, and have many more hundreds to go.

thread killa
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532526
05/06/19 02:40 PM
05/06/19 02:40 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Removing the air from the quill have been recommended for many years the idea being you squeeze one end with a plyers you force are to the other end, just makes sense!

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: J. Brooks] #6532540
05/06/19 03:26 PM
05/06/19 03:26 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by J. Brooks
I am not sure what it is about porkies but if I correct a dog on deer they come running back with their tail between their legs. If I correct them on a bayed up porky they will back off but keep trying to get close. It is like they almost cant help themselves.

I have a property loaded with porkies that is owned by a serious bird hunter. He wants every porky dead. My young hounds were getting into them almost every night we ran there looking for coons. Luckily a fair amount of them were up in trees/brush so no quills. I had some they caught on the ground also and pulled lots of quills with my headlamp and a leatherman in the back of my truck. I was shocking them aggressively with every encounter, even when they took a second look at a dead one. Even with all the electricity I was still looking at 2-3 porkies a night. One of the last times I ran there I had a young pup that was barking bayed. My older male ran back to the truck whining and acting half scared but still looking like he wanted to go back to the pup. I walked over to the pup and sure enough he had the porky bayed in a bush but was staying a couple feet back. With me there the older dog got in on the bay but still stayed back. Their actions made me think the juice was finally getting through to them.

15 minutes later I see a porky loping along in front of me. The hounds were working behind me and hadn't seen it or smelled it. I figured it would be a good training experience since it was in the open and I could see the whole run start to finish. I walked to the porky trail and as soon as they hit it they were quickly on the porky but respecting it by a couple feet. I still gave them juice whenever they got what I felt was too close. I managed to get it killed without any quills in the dogs.

My original intent was to try to get the dogs to avoid porkies 100%. However, with the value of porkies and the dismal coon market if I could get them to just avoid getting quilled I am rethinking my stance on that. I think I am making progress. They are still trailing porkies but the last couple runs I haven't had to pull a quill. Feels like I am playing with fire but I also seem to be making progress.

I didn't kill all these but it would take a train load of coon to equal the value of the hair in this box!

[Linked Image]

I have a friend who does control work and uses his dog's (one's a black mouth cur and the other a mixed) all the time to bay porkies. They've been quilled a time or two but that's it. Runs them through cedar and pine tree country or rock cropping's close to those areas(they den up a lot in those around here) and will easily take 6-8 out of a section.

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532546
05/06/19 03:44 PM
05/06/19 03:44 PM
Montana
J
J. Brooks Offline
trapper
J. Brooks  Offline
trapper
J

Montana
Glad to hear it silkyplainscoyot!

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532572
05/06/19 04:30 PM
05/06/19 04:30 PM
Conneaut Lake, PA
T
trapperjim1 Offline
trapper
trapperjim1  Offline
trapper
T

Conneaut Lake, PA
cut the end off of the Quills before pulling, they are hollow and if you let some of the air out they pull easier. That said I would still go to the vet and sedate them just to cut down on the struggle.

Re: dogs got into a porky [Re: bacatrapper] #6532579
05/06/19 04:40 PM
05/06/19 04:40 PM
Colorado
B
bacatrapper Offline OP
trapper
bacatrapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

Colorado
I am getting em a few at a time. The dogs are getting pretty skittish. These 2 big boys arent your normal type dogs, they live in the pasture with the goats. They arent aggressive towards people, but could take them or leave them, they are indifferent to people. The goats are their family. I talked to the wife about loading them and going to the vet, weve tried in the past and it was a no go. About the only way to load them would be to rope them and drag em into the trailer. I just pick up vaccinations from the vet and give them in the pasture.

They aren't pets.

thread killa
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread