No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits #6534580
05/09/19 12:40 PM
05/09/19 12:40 PM
So. IL
pintail_drake04 Offline OP
trapper
pintail_drake04  Offline OP
trapper

So. IL
How much does it cost you to raise a litter of meat rabbits to butcher? Did you include just Food, water, hay, & time? Or did you add in cages, nest boxes, etc. too? I was curious how much it cost to raise a rabbit to butcher (5#) other places.

Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: pintail_drake04] #6534588
05/09/19 01:00 PM
05/09/19 01:00 PM
So. IL
trapper
trapper

So. IL
some New Zealand White and NZW x Rex feeders.
[Linked Image]

Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: pintail_drake04] #6534631
05/09/19 02:37 PM
05/09/19 02:37 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I buy and resell 8,000 to 12,000 pounds of cull rabbit a year. I can buy rabbit cheaper than I could raise rabbit, because many people raising rabbits sell rabbit below the cost of producing it. It takes most producers close to 5 pounds of feed to grow one pound of rabbit, so at $12.00 a bag it costs about $1.20 to produce 1 pound of rabbit. You can buy cull rabbits for 40 to 60 cents a pound, which is half to one third the cost of just feeding the rabbits. There is a huge number of other costs like cages, feeders, waterers, housing, electricity, labor, waste removal and nest boxes.

I have raised New Zealand, Californian, Chinchilla, Altex, Flemish Giant, Rex, Siamese, Dutch, Dwarf Netherlands, Mini Rex, Holland Lop and some crossbreed rabbits. The cheapest I could produce a pound of rabbit, just counting feed as a cost, was about $1.00 a pound. In my opinion, rabbits are not worth raising, unless you really enjoy it, because you can buy them so cheaply or even get them free.

Keith

Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: KeithC] #6534662
05/09/19 04:40 PM
05/09/19 04:40 PM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Originally Posted by KeithC
I buy and resell 8,000 to 12,000 pounds of cull rabbit a year. I can buy rabbit cheaper than I could raise rabbit, because many people raising rabbits sell rabbit below the cost of producing it. It takes most producers close to 5 pounds of feed to grow one pound of rabbit, so at $12.00 a bag it costs about $1.20 to produce 1 pound of rabbit. You can buy cull rabbits for 40 to 60 cents a pound, which is half to one third the cost of just feeding the rabbits. There is a huge number of other costs like cages, feeders, waterers, housing, electricity, labor, waste removal and nest boxes.

I have raised New Zealand, Californian, Chinchilla, Altex, Flemish Giant, Rex, Siamese, Dutch, Dwarf Netherlands, Mini Rex, Holland Lop and some crossbreed rabbits. The cheapest I could produce a pound of rabbit, just counting feed as a cost, was about $1.00 a pound. In my opinion, rabbits are not worth raising, unless you really enjoy it, because you can buy them so cheaply or even get them free.

Keith

Keith, I wish we lived closer, I'd love to have a bunch in my freezer. I had everything wrote down when we raised rabbits and can't find it. I remember it was fun, we enjoyed it and loved the meat. As far as cost I remember it was worth it at the time but maybe they don't bring in as much now.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: Catch22] #6534690
05/09/19 05:31 PM
05/09/19 05:31 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Catch22

Keith

Keith, I wish we lived closer, I'd love to have a bunch in my freezer. I had everything wrote down when we raised rabbits and can't find it. I remember it was fun, we enjoyed it and loved the meat. As far as cost I remember it was worth it at the time but maybe they don't bring in as much now.

Catch, some of the people that sell to me come from pretty far away. What area of the State are you in? I can buy more rabbit than I can use and could pass some people on to you. I get a whole lot of show rabbits, because nobody wants their competition to get their genes. Many of the people that sell to me won't sell to someone who won't cull the rabbits.

Keith

Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: KeithC] #6534696
05/09/19 05:40 PM
05/09/19 05:40 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Thank you for this thread and I really mean that. I raised New Zealand whites on a small scale about 30 years ago. I had enough does to sell 100-120 fryer size rabbits for meat or lab depending upon quality.

I know my son-in-laws folks were thinking of doing meat rabbits as a retirement project and I have thought about selling off my beef cows and join them in this enterprise. It looks as it is tought to make money but I lose a consideerable amount with the beef so if I could break even with a couple hundred rabbits or more it would be a whole lot easier to handle than 3-7 beef when you don't have the decent equipment to handle the forages and the manure etc.

Bryce

Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: pintail_drake04] #6534698
05/09/19 05:41 PM
05/09/19 05:41 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
If you go to the ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) website:

https://arba.net/show-search/

You can see all the sanctioned rabbit shows in your area. You can contact the people in charge of that show and ask to set up at the show as a cull buyer. They usually always want cull buyers.

Keith

Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: bblwi] #6534707
05/09/19 05:47 PM
05/09/19 05:47 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by bblwi
Thank you for this thread and I really mean that. I raised New Zealand whites on a small scale about 30 years ago. I had enough does to sell 100-120 fryer size rabbits for meat or lab depending upon quality.

I know my son-in-laws folks were thinking of doing meat rabbits as a retirement project and I have thought about selling off my beef cows and join them in this enterprise. It looks as it is tought to make money but I lose a consideerable amount with the beef so if I could break even with a couple hundred rabbits or more it would be a whole lot easier to handle than 3-7 beef when you don't have the decent equipment to handle the forages and the manure etc.

Bryce

You can make money on rabbits, not just selling rabbits wholesale for meat, unless you really control your costs.

Selling good quality young rabbits to 4H kids showing meat rabbits, pays very well.

Selling small breed pet rabbits such as Lion Heads, Dwarf Netherlands, Dutch, Mini Lops and Polish pays well.

Selling processed meat rabbits straight to the consumer pays okay.

Another good way to make money on rabbits and almost anything else, is to buy rabbits, or anything else, where it is common and cheap and transport and sell it where it is rarer and more expensive.

Keith

Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: pintail_drake04] #6535019
05/10/19 07:52 AM
05/10/19 07:52 AM
So. IL
trapper
trapper

So. IL
It is so hard to find someone willing to give up real numbers for their production, so I'll start:
For 17 kits I currently have, I figured I have gone through $67 worth of feed. This feed also is given to the 4 breeders. Here is what I came up with:
200# feed/21 rabbits=9.52lb/ea
$67 in feed/200# total = .335/lb of feed
9.52lb of feed x .335 = $3.18 in feed per rabbit.

I figured my time is worth $12/hr. piddling around my farm. At 5 min day for 9 weeks =$3. Having an automatic waterer and feeder helps out a lot with this.
So in total, my grow outs come to approximately $6.18ea at 9 week for a 5lb+ rabbit. I don't try to get rich off of my farm, but having a hobby that is self sustaining makes things more enjoyable. I sell my rabbits for $20+/ea, and have plenty for my family as well. I know I could lower my cost in a few places and I'm constantly working towards that. I'm always looking at ways to make more money off the farm. I can and do sell the rabbit manure for .40/lb, and the rabbit feet for dog chews, every little bit helps.

I know that "your time" varies for everyone. My full time job is with the Government, my farm is a hobby. If I "charged" my rate I make for my full time job for my farm I'd be losing money on the rabbits. But I feel everyone should charge something for your time.

Last edited by pintail_drake04; 05/10/19 07:59 AM.
Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: KeithC] #6535029
05/10/19 08:08 AM
05/10/19 08:08 AM
So. IL
trapper
trapper

So. IL
You can make money on rabbits, not just selling rabbits wholesale for meat, unless you really control your costs.

Selling good quality young rabbits to 4H kids showing meat rabbits, pays very well.

Selling small breed pet rabbits such as Lion Heads, Dwarf Netherlands, Dutch, Mini Lops and Polish pays well.

Selling processed meat rabbits straight to the consumer pays okay.

Another good way to make money on rabbits and almost anything else, is to buy rabbits, or anything else, where it is common and cheap and transport and sell it where it is rarer and more expensive.

Keith

This is one of the ways we market our rabbits. My wife is a darn yankee, so when we go visit her kin outside of Chicago, we give a few weeks notice to her community that we will be bringing eggs and rabbits. They place their order and we can double our money on products in a place we were going to visit anyway. They sell Free Range eggs for $7/dz up there in the store! shocked So when we offer our Free Range, cage free eggs and bunnies at a discount they jump all over it.

Re: OT: your cost to raise meat rabbits [Re: pintail_drake04] #6535073
05/10/19 09:30 AM
05/10/19 09:30 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
Keith, I'm in Wayne Co. When we raised rabbits we did it just for ourselves and didn't get in to any other rabbit markets. That was quite a few years ago so I am oblivious to feed cost and such now. Pintail, it sounds like you have a pretty good thing going.

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread