No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Remote crossing into Canada #6536785
05/13/19 01:39 PM
05/13/19 01:39 PM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline OP
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline OP
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
I'll be going bear hunting in Ontario over Memorial weekend. I have been on the phone with all kinds of agents, officers, office of this and that. We'll be crossing into Manitoba north of Warroad MN, then parking the truck and taking a boat back into the US via the Angle, then head north and cross into Ontario.

I know that we must stop in Rainy River to get a RABC permit to alert Canada of the remote crossing, but the US agents are telling me to download a "ROW MAP" onto my phone- well, I can't find this app anywhere..? Anyone heard of this for remote crossing back into the US?

thank you in advance!
Jeff

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6536792
05/13/19 01:49 PM
05/13/19 01:49 PM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline OP
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline OP
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
I found it- it is the CBP ROAM app- checking back into the US. Should have done 10 more minutes of digging before my post! ;o)

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6536797
05/13/19 01:59 PM
05/13/19 01:59 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Interesting way to get where you are going. Kinda confusing, are you hunting with an Ontario outfitter north of the angle? Far as I know the only way to put in up there is at Young's Bay and then you need to call from the phone booth at Jim's Corners right when you cross back into the US, or the one by the Young's Bay store.

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6536804
05/13/19 02:13 PM
05/13/19 02:13 PM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline OP
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline OP
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
Bernie- thank you for the response. Yes, hunting with an Ontario outfitter north of the Angle. I'm going to a camp called Frolanders, in Monument Bay- this is a friend of mine who knows some guys that are buying the resort so we're doing the bear thing.

I'm along for the ride but want to make sure I know what to expect and how to get there and back the right way.

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6536808
05/13/19 02:24 PM
05/13/19 02:24 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
There are ways to cross into Canada and back into the US without remote crossing permits.

When we stay in the angle we call into ontario to cross and than contact the US BP to get back in.

I believe the app you are referring to is CBP ROAM, either the google store or apple store will have it.

https://fcw.com/articles/2018/06/15/roam-mobile-border-app.aspx

The problem can be cell service is sketchy at best in the angle. More so if you are on the north side of the islands.

The border patrol now has Ipads at several locations you can use to check in if you can not get cell coverage.

• Jerry's Bar and Restaurant, Northwest Angle mainland at Young's Bay

• Flag Island Resort, Flag Island

• Sunset Lodge, Oak Island

• Angle Inn Lodge, Oak Island

• Angle Outpost, Northwest Angle mainland

• Jake's Northwest Angle, mainland

Bring your passport or enhanced drivers license with as it will make it smoother.

I'll do some more digging on the call in locations or numbers for Ontario.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6536819
05/13/19 03:02 PM
05/13/19 03:02 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
I have the info on the remote crossings here and had a meeting with Customs this winter about it. It is simple and slick. I am wondering if you are crossing with a FIREARM, does that complicate things?

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6536823
05/13/19 03:04 PM
05/13/19 03:04 PM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline OP
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline OP
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
Thanks a lot Steven! That is very helpful. We'll all be bringing passports as well.

The Ontario ministry advised us to go to the Rainy River crossing to obtain a RABC Permit - I called the Rainy River office and they confirmed- $35. just not positive 'how' that works exactly since we'll be crossing by boat from the angle into Ontario.

I wonder if we just stop at the Angle Inn Lodge on Oak Island and use the Ipad to check in before Ontario, if that would be better.

One outstanding question at this point is that we must have an export permit for the animal prior to leaving. I know this is something that can be done online after harvest, but I'm afraid of cell/internet service and it will need to be printed and accompanied with the bear tag and bear while crossing.

Thanks for all of the input here!

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: 160user] #6536824
05/13/19 03:07 PM
05/13/19 03:07 PM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline OP
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline OP
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
Originally Posted by 160user
I have the info on the remote crossings here and had a meeting with Customs this winter about it. It is simple and slick. I am wondering if you are crossing with a FIREARM, does that complicate things?

We're all bringing archery gear across, no firearms at all. I called the Federal customs agent and they confirmed it's not classified the same and it's simply declared at the border.

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6536832
05/13/19 03:26 PM
05/13/19 03:26 PM
mn north of blakely
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

mn north of blakely
If you get the remote crossing permit you don't even need to call unless you have something to declare. It's handy in areas with crap cell phone service. I know one time years ago we stopped on an island in Ontario just north of Flag and declared.

We generally stop and use the Ipad because of cell phone issues. Maybe try calling the guys at one of the lodges and they'll be able to tell you the best way. There is quite a bit of traffic that goes out of Sunset Lodge in the winter into Ontario fishing crappies, I doubt if many have a remote crossing permit. I'd rather call into Ontario if it's possible than drive all the way over to Rainy River to get a permit unless you plan on going multiple times.

One of these days I'm going to get a permit for both ways as I'll start fishing Ontario a lot more. Too dang many people fishing the MN side for me.

Last edited by Steven 49er; 05/13/19 03:28 PM.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6536938
05/13/19 08:15 PM
05/13/19 08:15 PM
Bemidji, MN
J
Jacks Offline
trapper
Jacks  Offline
trapper
J

Bemidji, MN
Jeff

Who bought frolanders? The Marvin’s were the previous owners correct? Did you hear what the price tag was?

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6537159
05/14/19 07:37 AM
05/14/19 07:37 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by JeffMcam
Bernie- thank you for the response. Yes, hunting with an Ontario outfitter north of the Angle. I'm going to a camp called Frolanders, in Monument Bay- this is a friend of mine who knows some guys that are buying the resort so we're doing the bear thing.

I'm along for the ride but want to make sure I know what to expect and how to get there and back the right way.

Be sure to stop by and look at the momument on the rock in Monument bay and also the old fort on the island if you like history. Great fishing area there and there are some portage lakes that are really good. Frolanders have boats in them I believe. Personally, I would just call from Jim's corner when I crossed back into the US, then call from Young's Bay camp when you are leaving to go across into Canada. No doubt you'll be boating from Young's Bay to Frolanders. You really don't need an RABC permit unless you are crossing the border in a boat daily.

The Marvins bought Monument Bay camp and turned it into their own personal resort, I don't think they owned Frolanders but I could be wrong.

Sounds like a really fun way to bear hunt.

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: Steven 49er] #6537164
05/14/19 07:43 AM
05/14/19 07:43 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
If you get the remote crossing permit you don't even need to call unless you have something to declare. It's handy in areas with crap cell phone service. I know one time years ago we stopped on an island in Ontario just north of Flag and declared.

We generally stop and use the Ipad because of cell phone issues. Maybe try calling the guys at one of the lodges and they'll be able to tell you the best way. There is quite a bit of traffic that goes out of Sunset Lodge in the winter into Ontario fishing crappies, I doubt if many have a remote crossing permit. I'd rather call into Ontario if it's possible than drive all the way over to Rainy River to get a permit unless you plan on going multiple times.

One of these days I'm going to get a permit for both ways as I'll start fishing Ontario a lot more. Too dang many people fishing the MN side for me.

All the way over to Rainy River is just across the bridge to customs.

Sunset Lodge has the new internet permit system so you no longer have to call. Most of the resorts on the islands near the border have it now I believe. Flag Island Resort does for sure. Doubt if Frolanders would, because their guests mostly don't cross back into the US until they are going home. If I was just going to Frolanders for a week I wouldn't bother with the RABC permit.

Re: Remote crossing into Canada [Re: JeffMcam] #6537306
05/14/19 01:18 PM
05/14/19 01:18 PM
Cass Cnty, MN
J
JeffMcam Offline OP
trapper
JeffMcam  Offline OP
trapper
J

Cass Cnty, MN
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone- it's much appreciated. I was under the impression that I 'needed' the RABC permit from Ontario, but I understand now it's either that or calling at the resorts or using the Ipad systems. Thank you- this is incredibly helpful for me.

I just got a video of the cabin we'll be staying in this morning- looks like a nice view. I'm not sure the price or have not met anyone there yet- just a friend of a friend at this point but I'll likely have more details when I return.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread