No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Opinions on single brood bees in north #6537436
05/14/19 06:23 PM
05/14/19 06:23 PM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
What do you think after watching this video? I might try it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oYsyB1PvM

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Opinions on single brood bees in north [Re: BullOx] #6537443
05/14/19 06:42 PM
05/14/19 06:42 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
I watched that video recently. I want to try winter one when I get enough hives to experiment a bit. It also looks like the best way to get honey too.
Might want to check A Candian Beekeepers Blog if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQVs6-xm3mVNdwW4Zt8McQ/videos?disable_polymer=1

Re: Opinions on single brood bees in north [Re: BullOx] #6537452
05/14/19 06:53 PM
05/14/19 06:53 PM
Michigan
B
BullOx Offline OP
trapper
BullOx  Offline OP
trapper
B

Michigan
I'll look into that Yukon

Trapping is easy you say? You try getting your target animal to step in a 3 inch area of its whole territory.
Re: Opinions on single brood bees in north [Re: BullOx] #6537591
05/14/19 10:10 PM
05/14/19 10:10 PM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
Don't know about the north but I'd love to find a single box solution down south. I hate unstacking double deeps when doing inspections. I've tried single deeps, deeps and a half and keep going back to double deeps as queens that do well in singles don't make enough bees to make a crop, especially in our short spring flow. A deep/medium is neither fish nor fowl and again good queens will fill the second and third mediums. I'm seriously considering the old jumbo since I learned I can still get foundation from dadant, 25lb minimum.

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on single brood bees in north [Re: BullOx] #6537684
05/15/19 04:26 AM
05/15/19 04:26 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
The idea is to get 8-9 frames of bees in a single and add a queen excluder and then supers for space and swarm prevention, and of course they store honey too.

You southern folks with the early flows could have a challenge to build up in time. We have later flows here so have time until mid July to build bees.

I am going to try a single brood chamber here soon, we have a short cranberry/blueberry flow later this month I will have one hive big enough to make honey, but taking a Nuc off it too. So we will see.

I Will most likely go back to a double or triple to winter again this year. Been working for me. But would like to try winter a single as a experiment.

Re: Opinions on single brood bees in north [Re: BullOx] #6537785
05/15/19 09:28 AM
05/15/19 09:28 AM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by BullOx
What do you think after watching this video? I might try it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oYsyB1PvM

I've got a decent amout of experience using single deep setup. Its not all that uncommon in north. Here are just some ramblings---

My biggest take away is that you need bees that are ok in the setup. It can be great for making a crop of honey if you get the bees to cooperate. Honey crops here tend to be a summer event--June/July. Folks that i know using singles are most often specifically targeting comb honey production (basswood, thistle) on commercial scale---generally aimed at middle eastern customers. Bees that tend to do the best seem to carry alot of traits that you might see in a carnica stock---good ability to regulate brood nest based on size of box and environmental factors. If you have bees that dont want to regulate at all they will often tend to make huge clusters and only partially fill the box directly above the excluder/single or they will fill it but then empty that box as soon as the flows slow up. Come fall you will want to see bees that can really turn down the brood production while still making enough winter bees. on the right years with good goldenrod flow they will set themselves up good for winter. but its not so uncommon to find yourself weighing options regarding feeding. weather this spring has been rather cool and wet so it has been more difficult for singles to really take off compared to larger colonies with more resources---so that might make put you in a position for needing to feed then also (but not always) probably the biggest management issue with the setup is come spring when its nearly impossible to keep them in 2 or 3 deeps let alone 1. it takes some pretty intense manipulation at that point. and those bees that typically regulate to flows, weather, space also tend to explode come spring with high swarming tendency so you need a plan regarding that

Re: Opinions on single brood bees in north [Re: BullOx] #6537831
05/15/19 10:36 AM
05/15/19 10:36 AM
Georgia
warrior Online content
trapper
warrior  Online Content
trapper

Georgia
BigBlackBirds, you just nailed it. The stock of bee is the biggest factor in whether one box will work. Down here in central Georgia italians rule and two deeps are a must combined with aggressive splitting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on single brood bees in north [Re: BullOx] #6538174
05/15/19 07:19 PM
05/15/19 07:19 PM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
warrior---that makes sense. the folks i'm familiar with that tend to use single setup tend to be smaller outfits with around 1k colonies--many arent migrating so they keep a fairly northern style bee thats just about opposite of what we think of as italian. i do know a guy that goes to almonds in doubles but tears them back down into singles for summer honey locations and then puts another deep on heading into the fall so head can start the process all over again

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread