No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: Boco] #6537595
05/14/19 10:15 PM
05/14/19 10:15 PM
Colorado
B
bacatrapper Offline
trapper
bacatrapper  Offline
trapper
B

Colorado
Originally Posted by Boco
Shoot the poor thing if your not going to get it medical help..

BS, he'll be fine by the weekend.

I got bit last year, he dumped his load in me, spent a few days in bed, it wsnt fun, no dr. Im glad noone shot me. it is a myth you need to go to the DR when hit by a rattler. Kids and old people sure, dogs and healthy folk, no way.

Last edited by bacatrapper; 05/14/19 10:15 PM.

thread killa
Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: bacatrapper] #6537653
05/14/19 11:39 PM
05/14/19 11:39 PM
NW Oklahoma
O
Okie Farmer Offline
trapper
Okie Farmer  Offline
trapper
O

NW Oklahoma
Originally Posted by bacatrapper

BS, he'll be fine by the weekend.

I got bit last year, he dumped his load in me, spent a few days in bed, it wsnt fun, no dr. Im glad noone shot me. it is a myth you need to go to the DR when hit by a rattler. Kids and old people sure, dogs and healthy folk, no way.

Knew of a guy that tried that, he ended up pushing daisies.

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6537657
05/14/19 11:49 PM
05/14/19 11:49 PM
Wenatchee, Washington
T
TrappedOut Offline
trapper
TrappedOut  Offline
trapper
T

Wenatchee, Washington
Rattle snakes are hemotoxic. A bite will cause almost instant necrosis....there is no just sleeping hemotoxins off...if you actually got bit and had venom injected into you...you wouldn’t be here bragging about it....I use to have rooms full of snakes and I’ve known people who have been bit by their own rattlesnakes....it is massive tissue damage extremely fast...if your dog is still alive either 1 it was a dry bite or 2 it wasn’t a rattlesnake...venom would have also caused the skin to die and literally just about fall off....either way it needs medical attention...or you can give it Benadryl and let it die...

D9536ABC-43AB-467A-8537-212130C96EDD.jpeg
Last edited by Vlischka; 05/15/19 12:07 AM.
Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: TrappedOut] #6537661
05/15/19 12:12 AM
05/15/19 12:12 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Originally Posted by Vlischka
Rattle snakes are hemotoxic. A bite will cause almost instant necrosis....there is no just sleeping hemotoxins off...if you actually got bit and had venom injected into you...you wouldn’t be here bragging about it....I use to have rooms full of snakes and I’ve known people who have been bit by their own rattlesnakes....it is massive tissue damage extremely fast...if your dog is still alive either 1 it was a dry bite or 2 it wasn’t a rattlesnake...venom would have also caused the skin to die and literally just about fall off....either way it needs medical attention...or you can give it Benadryl and let it die...

I'm going to beg to differ. While I do think he needs to consult his vet, I've watched a dog get bit by a rattler (yes it was a rattler). Dog swelled up bad for a week. With penicillin and benadryl given almost immediately. There was zero tissue damage. I've not heard of tissue damage like you speak of with rattlers. With brown recluse spiders yes. Are you sure that isn't a recluse bite in your pic?

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6537669
05/15/19 12:40 AM
05/15/19 12:40 AM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
Rattlesnake bite can be very nasty, I hope the dog pulls thru like a champ.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6537671
05/15/19 12:47 AM
05/15/19 12:47 AM
Wenatchee, Washington
T
TrappedOut Offline
trapper
TrappedOut  Offline
trapper
T

Wenatchee, Washington
I use to do nothing but study snakes for years...there is multiple protein strands in venom all designed todo different things and every type of venomous snake has their own mix... some snakes can have hemotoxins and neurotoxins. Rattlesnake venom is no joke...not saying you mis identified a snake but I’d bet only 1 out if 20 people can accurately identify a rattlesnake and a bull snake.... I deal with it all the time... along with almost every person I have met here who has seen a brown recluse or knows someone who got bit by one here even tho they don’t exist here....I live in Washington state and have seen first hand rattlesnake bites...my dog died within hours of being bitten by one...I wish I had my computer... I have a collection of pictures of rattlesnake bite pictures that would about make you pass out... lol

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6537674
05/15/19 12:57 AM
05/15/19 12:57 AM
Wenatchee, Washington
T
TrappedOut Offline
trapper
TrappedOut  Offline
trapper
T

Wenatchee, Washington
Can you see the 2 punctures from the fangs? They should be obvious

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: Wild_Idaho] #6537676
05/15/19 01:06 AM
05/15/19 01:06 AM
Wenatchee, Washington
T
TrappedOut Offline
trapper
TrappedOut  Offline
trapper
T

Wenatchee, Washington
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho

I'm going to beg to differ. While I do think he needs to consult his vet, I've watched a dog get bit by a rattler (yes it was a rattler). Dog swelled up bad for a week. With penicillin and benadryl given almost immediately. There was zero tissue damage. I've not heard of tissue damage like you speak of with rattlers. With brown recluse spiders yes. Are you sure that isn't a recluse bite in your pic?

Hemotoxins attack tissue cells...and rattlesnakes have some of the best in the business... there is almost always tissue damage with a real rattlesnake bite...a fellow snake owner I knew was bit by his once and he was in the emergency room and had anti venom in him within 30 minutes of being bit by an adult and you could almost see the bones in his hands from the loss of tissue....I think he had to have a couple skin grafts and special treatments to for almost year to try to keep the skin from dying

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6537678
05/15/19 01:15 AM
05/15/19 01:15 AM
Wenatchee, Washington
T
TrappedOut Offline
trapper
TrappedOut  Offline
trapper
T

Wenatchee, Washington
http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics-htm/
Here is a great example of a rattlesnake bite for those who want to see what they actually do...I would bet he had anti venom around 2 hours after the bite...so next time someone tells you about how they just slept their rattle snake bite off...lol

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6537686
05/15/19 05:01 AM
05/15/19 05:01 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Not all rattlers are created equal. Around here we have massasauga's. Almost everyone I know calls them prairie rattlers. Have to get 200 miles west of me to get in true prairie rattler habitat. We have a FEW timber rattlers just north of me and copperheads scattered around.

The massasauga's are worse than the copperheads but I don't think anyone ever dies from the bite of either one. Those timber rattlers are bad news. Real bad if one drills you and pumps in a dose of venom. Same with prairie rattlers in west KS. Bad news.

First weekend after Easter every year is the rattle snake roundup in Waynoka OK. A few prairie rattlers get caught but mostly western diamondbacks. Always a collector or two there that will pay a premium for any massasauga that was caught here. If you want to see some humans that are snake bit hang around the first aid tent they set up downtown. People get bit every year. Dr there is good at treating it. May have more snake bite experience than any other DR in the country. People allergic to horses have to be treated with benadryl. They extract anti venom from the blood of horses that have been injected with venom. Anybody allergic to horses that gets drilled is in real bad trouble. Not to going to work for several weeks.

Dogs hogs and horses can take a snake bite lots better than humans.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: Boco] #6537794
05/15/19 09:35 AM
05/15/19 09:35 AM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.

This may be the best advice in this entire thread. if you got bit in the face by a rattler would you go to a Doctor immediately or spend days asking for advice on Trapperman??!!

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 05/15/19 09:41 AM.
Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: TrappedOut] #6537802
05/15/19 09:44 AM
05/15/19 09:44 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Here is a great example of a rattlesnake bite for those who want to see what they actually do...I would bet he had anti venom around 2 hours after the bite...so next time someone tells you about how they just slept their rattle snake bite off...lol

WOW!

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: TrappedOut] #6537804
05/15/19 09:50 AM
05/15/19 09:50 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Vlischka, copy that. I haven't had enough experiences with them I guess to see any tissue damage like you speak of. Actually I had never heard of tissue damage from rattlers until now, and I grew up in serious snake country in Central Oregon

Real name Eric

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: TrappedOut] #6537807
05/15/19 09:54 AM
05/15/19 09:54 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho

Holy crap!

Real name Eric

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6537809
05/15/19 10:07 AM
05/15/19 10:07 AM
Northern Missouri
Northmocats Offline
trapper
Northmocats  Offline
trapper

Northern Missouri
Depends On the Type of Rattler like Danny said... Also the Severity of bite/ amount of venom. We have some Huge Timber rattlers here, but they arent very aggressive. I would hate to step on one though... Timbers are suppose to have some deadly venom and lots of it. I believe the Eastern Diamondbacks are at the top of the list.

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: danny clifton] #6537810
05/15/19 10:10 AM
05/15/19 10:10 AM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Not all rattlers are created equal. Around here we have massasauga's. Almost everyone I know calls them prairie rattlers. Have to get 200 miles west of me to get in true prairie rattler habitat. We have a FEW timber rattlers just north of me and copperheads scattered around.

The massasauga's are worse than the copperheads but I don't think anyone ever dies from the bite of either one. Those timber rattlers are bad news. Real bad if one drills you and pumps in a dose of venom. Same with prairie rattlers in west KS. Bad news.

First weekend after Easter every year is the rattle snake roundup in Waynoka OK. A few prairie rattlers get caught but mostly western diamondbacks. Always a collector or two there that will pay a premium for any massasauga that was caught here. If you want to see some humans that are snake bit hang around the first aid tent they set up downtown. People get bit every year. Dr there is good at treating it. May have more snake bite experience than any other DR in the country. People allergic to horses have to be treated with benadryl. They extract anti venom from the blood of horses that have been injected with venom. Anybody allergic to horses that gets drilled is in real bad trouble. Not to going to work for several weeks.

Dogs hogs and horses can take a snake bite lots better than humans.

Guess I better be careful... Horses are one of the few things I am allergic to.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: Boco] #6538071
05/15/19 04:56 PM
05/15/19 04:56 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline OP
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Central/Western Texas

Oh, come on; she doesn't act like she feels bad at all. She's still frisky and playful too. The swelling seems to have gone down a fair amount today as well.

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6538093
05/15/19 05:28 PM
05/15/19 05:28 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper

Oh, come on; she doesn't act like she feels bad at all. She's still frisky and playful too. The swelling seems to have gone down a fair amount today as well.

Listen to the experts and shoot her anyway

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6538126
05/15/19 06:17 PM
05/15/19 06:17 PM
Arkansas
D
D-2 Offline
trapper
D-2  Offline
trapper
D

Arkansas
I have had labs and medium sized dogs all the way down to a larger Boston Terrorist get bit and we have not lost one yet to snake bite. I figure a small dog wouldn't make it.
The vet told me once that the reason that dogs don't die when they get snake bit is because they have no idea that it can kill 'em...d2

Re: My dog bot bitten by a rattlesnake! [Re: AuthorTrapper] #6538246
05/15/19 09:25 PM
05/15/19 09:25 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
well im not a vet so cant offer any advice on this but I hope your dog comes through it ok.

as a side note... im terribly uncomfortable with a man proclaiming "he dumped his load in me"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread