No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hornady Superformance Lead free [Re: nightlife] #6537919
05/15/19 01:15 PM
05/15/19 01:15 PM
Mitchell, NE
G
Gun Nut Offline
trapper
Gun Nut  Offline
trapper
G

Mitchell, NE
I have shot them in the 243 as well as in the 6.5 creedmoor and they have worked on deer and antelope very well. Make sure to check your zero as they typically shoot quite a bit faster than a standard load, therefore usually shooting higher than normal. I believe they use a blended power to get velocities that most re-loaders can't get to.

Gun Nut

Re: Hornady Superformance Lead free [Re: k snow] #6537922
05/15/19 01:20 PM
05/15/19 01:20 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline OP
trapper
nightlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by k snow
Thanks waggler that’s good to know and something to keep in mind though I seem to not get long shots, I can make them just fine but for some reason everything I shoot seems to end up at archery range or even rock chucking range like the last 2 deer I shot one at 25 feet or so and the other exactly 5 steps from where I sat down under a tree to eat lunch

I'll take those shots over long range all day long. I'd rather be a better hunter than a long range shooter.[/quote]

My dad usually referred to it as hunters luck because it’s almost always due to a change in where or when I hunt like this last years deer which was taken on public land which when I showed up opening morning (late) all the spots I had picked as good stand sites had hunters already sitting on them so what’s a hunter to do, instead of going home or driving to a different area I instead walked down about 50 yards from the parking area to where a small stream crossed the road, this was a low area filled with waist high swamp grass and a few patches of small birch trees and red willow where I sat down under the biggest birch tree about 25 yards in from the road

Well literally just about the time I caught my breath I heard something coming through the tall grass and when it got to the small area of birch trees it stepped out of the grass into the relitive open area under the group of trees just steps away, a nice for our area 9 point buck, I had been tracking him through the grass with the scope and worrying about him getting so close that I couldn’t see him in the scope or that he would pass by through the tall grass with all I could see being an occasional bit of his back above the top of the grass

But when he stepped out into the open facing me almost head on I took the shot offered which went in on the left side right back of the front leg and exited the other side in front of the rear leg and he dropped on the spot

Total elapsed time from when I arrived to the time I loaded him into the back of my vehicle 38 minutes

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Hornady Superformance Lead free [Re: nightlife] #6537925
05/15/19 01:23 PM
05/15/19 01:23 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline OP
trapper
nightlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Mn
Once is a fluke twice happenstance, but when it happens regularly not just with deer but bear and other both large and small game it’s like my dad said hunters luck

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Hornady Superformance Lead free [Re: nightlife] #6538204
05/15/19 08:14 PM
05/15/19 08:14 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I see no reason to abandon what works for me, which is cup and core lead bullets. I did load some copper bullets when they first came out. They work well, just cost too much. First time I tried them was in a 7-08. Made a double head shot on two doe deer. Legally.

Last edited by charles; 05/15/19 08:15 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread