No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products


Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: Bigbrownie] #6538270
05/15/19 09:49 PM
05/15/19 09:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 7,217
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 7,217
Louisiana
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Why is it any different to use a short .410 shotgun than a Taurus Judge? Same ammo, same pisspoor patterning. lol


You ain’t a kidding about poor patterns. Lead flies everywhere but what you’re aiming at.



If I’m not mistaken, they’re legal because they have a rifled barrel. A pistol that fires shotgun shells.


A judge handgun that has a smooth bore would be one bad dude.

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538281
05/15/19 09:57 PM
05/15/19 09:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,016
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
trapper
danny clifton  Offline
trapper
D

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,016
williamsburg ks
I bought a switchblade 20 plus years ago at a gun store here. Says 440 stainless soligen on the blade. Store owner said your a volunteer fireman right? Were illegal except for law enforcement or fireman at the time. I brought it home and its never left my property though they are legal for all now. Skinned a bobcat with it once just so I can say I used it. Always thought that law was worse than stupid. A good fixed blade is much stronger and not any harder to conceal. Kinda like the short barreled shotgun. Never made sense to me. My old 45 is easier to conceal.

[Linked Image]


ban gun free zones
Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538321
05/15/19 10:28 PM
05/15/19 10:28 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 21,003
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 21,003
james bay frontierOnt.
Its illegal because it makes them easy for felons up to no good to conceal them.(26 USC 5845)

Last edited by Boco; 05/15/19 11:10 PM.
Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: Boco] #6538324
05/15/19 10:31 PM
05/15/19 10:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,926
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline OP
The Count
~ADC~  Offline OP
The Count

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,926
Iowa
Originally Posted by Boco
Its illegal because it makes them easy for felons up to no good to conceal them.


crazy

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538356
05/15/19 10:59 PM
05/15/19 10:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 21,003
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 21,003
james bay frontierOnt.
OK brainwave,give us your legal opinion why sawing off a long gun is illegal?

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538376
05/15/19 11:15 PM
05/15/19 11:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 126
mitchell,South Dakota
S
stumper Offline
trapper
stumper  Offline
trapper
S

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 126
mitchell,South Dakota
Technically they are not illegal, you just have to jump through the hoops and pay the 200 dollar tax stamp fee to own them.

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538383
05/15/19 11:26 PM
05/15/19 11:26 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
SE NEBRASKA
I purchased a Mossberg shockwave like in the picture. Barrel is 14". Somehow they are being produced and using a loophole to do it legally. I have shot 2 3/4 buckshot magnums. That's plenty of a load to handle. I have shot 3" 00 buck magnums and that is way more than I want to handle . A stock would be nice, but it's different. I seen where Remington came out with a 12 ga auto.... their versa max set up. Yikes, shooting 3" 00 in an auto rapidly..... I aint planning [Linked Image]
on finding out!!

Last edited by NebrCatMan; 05/15/19 11:27 PM.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538384
05/15/19 11:29 PM
05/15/19 11:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 21,003
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 21,003
james bay frontierOnt.
I like the strap to keep it from flying out of your hand,lol.

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538388
05/15/19 11:31 PM
05/15/19 11:31 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,589
SE NEBRASKA
You are 100 % correct about the strap. I use it just as you say!!


Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538420
05/16/19 12:56 AM
05/16/19 12:56 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,840
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,840
SWMo.
Good goose gun?

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538455
05/16/19 06:57 AM
05/16/19 06:57 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,222
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Online content
trapper
loosegoose  Online Content
trapper
L

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,222
Beatrice, NE
Taurus judge type guns (revolvers that shoot .410 shells) are legal because they're a handgun. They have a rifled barrel less than 16 inches and are designed to be shot with one hand, so that makes them a handgun. They just happen to chamber a shotgun shell. Things like the Mossberg shockwave are technically not shotguns. Legally speaking, it's just a "firearm". It's not a handgun, because the barrel isn't rifled and it's too long (over 26"). It's not a rifle, because there's no rifled barrel, and it's not designed to be fired from the shoulder. And most importantly, it's not a shotgun, since shotguns by legal definition are designed to be fired from the shoulder. If it's not a shotgun, then it cant be a short barreled shotgun.

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538478
05/16/19 07:58 AM
05/16/19 07:58 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,245
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,245
central arkansas
How about this one?

image.png

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, NRA, SWARFTA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: the Blak Spot] #6538482
05/16/19 08:08 AM
05/16/19 08:08 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,222
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Online content
trapper
loosegoose  Online Content
trapper
L

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,222
Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
How about this one?

A pistol or handgun with a smooth bore designed to fire a shotgun shell is an "any other weapon" and requires an NFA tax stamp. I think it's only $5 for an AOW stamp as opposed to $200 for something like a silencer, but it still involves all the extended background check silliness.

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538492
05/16/19 08:35 AM
05/16/19 08:35 AM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1,106
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1,106
Green Bay, Wisconsin
In the same family as the Mossberg Shockwave is the Shock N Saw, a little different handle setup that's for sure.

[Linked Image]

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: ~ADC~] #6538502
05/16/19 09:06 AM
05/16/19 09:06 AM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 400
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 400
Washington
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Originally Posted by Boco
Its illegal because it makes them easy for felons up to no good to conceal them.


crazy


It's a felony for a felon to touch a firearm.

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: Boco] #6538505
05/16/19 09:13 AM
05/16/19 09:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,498
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 7,498
Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by Boco
Its illegal because it makes them easy for felons up to no good to conceal them.(26 USC 5845)


True. But then again if felons followed the law then they wouldn't be felons... So again, the only people the law actually pertains to are those willing to follow it.

Never heard of a liquor store robbery where the clerk said, "Well at least the gun he stuck in my face wasn't a sawed-off shotgun... Thank God for that law."

Mike


One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: 160user] #6538506
05/16/19 09:13 AM
05/16/19 09:13 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,049
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,049
Georgia
Originally Posted by 160user
And “sawed off” just means less than 18 inches. That said Remington and Mossberg both currently manufacturer and sell shotguns less than 18 inches now through some loophole.


They do not! They are making All Other Weapons. Don't call them shotguns because there are not shotguns.
Basically the NFA classed items by design and receiver. The receivers on those sawed off shotgun looking things began life classified as an All Other Weapon so cannot be built into a shotgun.

I know silly but the law is the law.

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: Boco] #6538514
05/16/19 09:23 AM
05/16/19 09:23 AM
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 755
Kentucky
ky_coyote_hunter Offline
trapper
ky_coyote_hunter  Offline
trapper

Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 755
Kentucky
Originally Posted by Boco
I like the strap to keep it from flying out of your hand,lol.

You shoot a SBS with your hand/palm over the barrel to hold the muzzle down.
That strap is straight from the mind of lawyers, and out of concern for any Canadians
who might pick it up and give it a try, Lol.


Member NRA, FTA, and The UTK.
Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: tlguy] #6538524
05/16/19 09:35 AM
05/16/19 09:35 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,222
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Online content
trapper
loosegoose  Online Content
trapper
L

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,222
Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by tlguy
In the same family as the Mossberg Shockwave is the Shock N Saw, a little different handle setup that's for sure.

[Linked Image]


I think they do the handle that way because it'd be illegal to put a "forward grip" on it, kinda like how it's illegal to put a forward grip on a pistol. Don't ya just love our firearms laws? I'm sure all those silly rules keep us safer somehow crazy

Re: Why are sawed-off shotguns illegal? [Re: maintenanceguy] #6538525
05/16/19 09:37 AM
05/16/19 09:37 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,430
MN
1
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper
1

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,430
MN
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Originally Posted by 160user
And “sawed off” just means less than 18 inches. That said Remington and Mossberg both currently manufacturer and sell shotguns less than 18 inches now through some loophole.


Since the manufacturer never installed a shotgun stock on it, it was never a shotgun - it's just a firearm. Only shotguns have a barrel length requirement. If it had ever had a shotgun stock on it, it would be a shotgun and would be illegal. Our gun laws are ridiculous.



Not true. The old Handi-guns and "auto-burglars" had a factory pistol grip yet are illegal to own without a class III license.


I have nothing clever to put here.





Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread