No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6541612
05/21/19 03:25 PM
05/21/19 03:25 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
A big eastern dback has the capability of injecting nearly an OUNCE of venom during a bite. If that happens you can likely kiss your arse goodbye.

Or count on long term disability and huge medical bills. I was told a story of a guy in your dept that took a hit from one and after sixty something vials had to take medical retirement as the venom destroyed the discs in his back and went round and round with his insurance over a bill that was said to be well over six figures.

[Linked Image]
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: warrior] #6541678
05/21/19 05:06 PM
05/21/19 05:06 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by Scout1
One thing you experts may be able to answer for some of us woodsmen/women. If your out in the wild, say an hour from your truck, you get bit by a rattler, what's the best course of action? I'm sure it's not to kill the nearest doe deer, extract its liver, cut X's on the bite, suck the venom out, and apply the raw liver. Just always hear different remedies.

Originally Posted by warrior
Seek medical help immediately. No cutting, sucking or touniquets. Keep the victim calm, immobilize the bite if possible and held at the level of the heart, no ice/heat. The idea is to not excite the victim or raise the heart rate.
DO NOT attempt to kill/collect the snake or bring it for ID. Secondary bites can occur and ID is not required for treatment. There is one antivenin to treat all north american pit vipers and one for corals.

I read this as out here by yourself and you get bitten, the reply is as though your companion was the one bitten. And the advice to call the ER doesn't work in an area far from town.

So, self inflicted treatments? (other than Boco's cut and suck)

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6542074
05/22/19 10:45 AM
05/22/19 10:45 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
The experts say once bitten not to get the circulation going in the body since the more rapid the heart beats the venom spreads through the body. However, here in the Rockies, a person may be three hours walking distance from the vehicle and then the long drive to the hospital. You would have no choice not to stay still. I also read suction cups don’t work.

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6542120
05/22/19 12:29 PM
05/22/19 12:29 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
So how do you get that 3-4 miles back to the truck and then the 40-100 miles to the ER by your self?
Knowing what to do when near the hospital and with a crowd doesn't help much. Hiking out and driving are both going to require increased heart rate, even the screaming as you realize what happened is going to elevate your heart rate and increase circulation. Have to assume no cell service either.
I remember when I was a working ranch hand riding through sage brush high as a man on a horse and seeing snakes at eye level and thinking what could happen, I have the same thoughts when wade fishing by myself a mile from the truck and observing snakes in over hanging tree limbs.

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6542130
05/22/19 12:57 PM
05/22/19 12:57 PM
Georgia
W
Wiz Offline
trapper
Wiz  Offline
trapper
W

Georgia
As far as what to do if you get bit: Get to the nearest medical facility ASAP.

If you are remote and 3+ hours away from help: Get to the nearest medical facility ASAP.

There are a ton of gimmicks and folk lore out there about what to do if you are bit. Some of my favorites are suck the venom out and use jumper cables or a taser on the bite area to denature the venom. If any of this worked, medical professionals would be doing it all of the time. You best tool for a snake bite is car keys.

Some other food for thought that Warrior mentioned or alluded to is sometimes you can be bit and have no symptoms for the first 23 hours and then boom, the symptoms hit you like a pile of rocks. This happened to a friend of mine that got bit when we were in a creek in east GA a few years back. She got bit through her wetsuit. Other than feeling the pinch of the fangs, she didn't have any of the burning that most talk about. I took her straight to the hospital and they started giving her an IV drip of saline. Her leg swelled up a little but not much. They told us they wouldn't administer anti-venon unless the swelling went above or below a bone joint. They kept her for observation overnight. The next morning after she signed her release documents but before she could get dressed, she started having the classic symptoms of burning, nausea, vomiting, swelling, etc. They ended up keeping her for 3 more days and gave her several doses of anti-venin.

I was bit by a cottonmouth twice in 2014. The first bite caught me a little forward on the calf. The second was about an inch behind it. The bite bled, and bruised immediately and swelled up to about a 3 inch circle. It never hurt or burned. The doctor gave me a tetanus shot and told me to monitor it and get to the hospital if anything changed. Nothing changed so I chalked it up to 2 dry bites or perhaps some natural immunity to the venom.

The only thing that might be good to carry with you (other than car keys) in case you get bit is some antihistimines. Some folks that have major issues with snake bites die because of anaphylactic shock from the venom more than the venom itself. This is also very useful in case pets get bit as well.

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: tjm] #6542144
05/22/19 01:31 PM
05/22/19 01:31 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by tjm
So how do you get that 3-4 miles back to the truck and then the 40-100 miles to the ER by your self?
Knowing what to do when near the hospital and with a crowd doesn't help much. Hiking out and driving are both going to require increased heart rate, even the screaming as you realize what happened is going to elevate your heart rate and increase circulation. Have to assume no cell service either.
I remember when I was a working ranch hand riding through sage brush high as a man on a horse and seeing snakes at eye level and thinking what could happen, I have the same thoughts when wade fishing by myself a mile from the truck and observing snakes in over hanging tree limbs.

Same as any other in the field medical emergency, HAVE A PLAN. If you know you're out of contact leave a trip plan and eta. Know how to self rescue, travel with others or know how to get rescue alerted and moving in your direction.

[Linked Image]
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344135
08/31/21 10:09 AM
08/31/21 10:09 AM
SC
S
SC Gentleman Offline
trapper
SC Gentleman  Offline
trapper
S

SC
This is kind of interesting, though somewhat disputed: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...esnake-study-provides-clue/#.YS4v9Y5KhhF .

I have come across a-lot of venomous snakes in my time in the woods. For the most part, they tend to avoid me. The only time I was every threatened was by a copperhead last fall around dusk. I was walking out on a 'trail' (not really a trail, but where I usually walk) in early December in Georgia. It was hard to see, but the unmistakable rustling in the leaves caught my attention. At first not sure what it was, I just stopped in my tracks. Eventually, I put my headlamp on the noise and could see a copperhead about 6 to 8 feet away striking toward me. I have never seen a snake attempt to strike from that far away and there is no way it could have struck me from that far away. I assume it was feigning. That time of year, snakes are starting to hibernate in Georgia and they often do it with many other snakes, even different species. Some species that they would normally be enemies of. I could see a little hole in the ground and I was unsure of how many more snakes might be there or close by. It was a little tense getting out of there as dark settled in and I had no choice but to walk by.

I have been told that Timber Rattlesnakes are generally considered to be the most dangerous because of the amount of venom they can deliver, not because of their aggressiveness, likelihood to bite or potency of the venom. To be sure, you don't want to be bit by any venomous snake. I have stumbled across more timber rattlesnakes than any other kind and they have always been hospitable. That said, I also try not to get within striking distance, generally considered to be 1/3 to 1/2 of their body length. I stay the entire body length away and watch for any signs that it might try to move into a striking position. Timber rattlers always try to move away in my experience. The same with cottonmouths, they try to avoid me. In fact, I nearly picked up a cottonmouth one time thinking it was a stick and it just slithered away. I was shocked. Most copperheads that I have come across are not aggressive, but they also stand their ground. They have not looked to me like they were trying to escape.

The most aggressive snake I have some across was a little 18 inch garter snake. That little guy lifted his whole body off the ground to try to strike me. Not sure what he/she was thinking. Black rat snakes are very friendly, black racers try to get away and they are fast. One time, I had a racer cornered and it was starting to get aggressive. I was simply filming it, but it didn't like my presence for sure.

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344225
08/31/21 12:10 PM
08/31/21 12:10 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Interesting thread ...and good info.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344243
08/31/21 12:33 PM
08/31/21 12:33 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
A search brought up this: The venom of a Mojave rattlesnake is widely considered the most potent of all rattlesnakes. I saw them in AZ. We called them Mojave greens.
My brother in law got bit in the back by a rattlesnake that he had baled in a round baler the night before. He didn't know it was in the bale, and when he was greasing the baler in the morning he got bite. His wife drove him to the hospital in Gt Falls MT and they did not give him anti venom. They said it was as hard on a person as the venom was. The hospital did nothing. He was in pretty sad shape for a while and he had some problems for quite a while.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: MJM] #7344268
08/31/21 01:07 PM
08/31/21 01:07 PM
NC
Buzzard Offline
trapper
Buzzard  Offline
trapper

NC
Originally Posted by MJM
A search brought up this: The venom of a Mojave rattlesnake is widely considered the most potent of all rattlesnakes. I saw them in AZ. We called them Mojave greens.
My brother in law got bit in the back by a rattlesnake that he had baled in a round baler the night before. He didn't know it was in the bale, and when he was greasing the baler in the morning he got bite. His wife drove him to the hospital in Gt Falls MT and they did not give him anti venom. They said it was as hard on a person as the venom was. The hospital did nothing. He was in pretty sad shape for a while and he had some problems for quite a while.

I have read that several times

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344270
08/31/21 01:10 PM
08/31/21 01:10 PM
Arizona
S
Starbits Online content
trapper
Starbits  Online Content
trapper
S

Arizona
A friend of my wife's was bitten on the hand by a Mojave rattlesnake. Was close enough to dying that her priest on 2 separate occasions read her last rites. A week in the hospital and 31 doses of antivenom later she was back home. A year later she was bitten by another Mojave, but this time the reaction was less severe. It has been a number of years, but she still has problems with that hand.

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344321
08/31/21 02:29 PM
08/31/21 02:29 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Per Google: CDC says rarely more than 4 deaths a year in the US from Rattler bites.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: BigBob] #7344329
08/31/21 02:40 PM
08/31/21 02:40 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by BigBob
Per Google: CDC says rarely more than 4 deaths a year in the US from Rattler bites.

True, actual fatalities rare. Long term damage a very definite possibility with our more toxic species.

[Linked Image]
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344345
08/31/21 03:01 PM
08/31/21 03:01 PM
PA
E
elkaholic Offline
trapper
elkaholic  Offline
trapper
E

PA
If you are in cell range, call 911. If you're 3 miles back in at least it will get the ambulance headed your way. All ER's have radios in them. So when they hear that call go out they can start preparing the antivenom. It's refrigerated so it needs to be warmed before administering. My wife has told me of times that they have had 5 or 6 people standing in the er rolling the vials between their hands to get it warmed.

Make your way out as fast as possible without getting your heart rate up to much. It only takes about 60 seconds for blood to circulate through the human body. So sucking venom is absolutely useless. If you make it out before the ambulance arrives you can wait if they're not that far away. If you have another person with you, you can start towards the ambulance. Notify 911 that you are doing so. The sooner you get to the hospital the better off you'll be.

Some people have really bad reactions to the anti venom. I think she said it's an anaphylactic type reaction in a lot of people.

Millions of trees die every year to print environmentalist publications
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344391
08/31/21 03:56 PM
08/31/21 03:56 PM
n.e, iowa
C
coonman220 Offline
trapper
coonman220  Offline
trapper
C

n.e, iowa
Rattlesnakes are protect in state, have only seen few them ever many years ago, I heard there not as many used be

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344399
08/31/21 04:17 PM
08/31/21 04:17 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Seems i vaguely remember readin in Klauber's books on rattlesnakes that volume to volume western diamond was the most potent. Those were thick books and read long ago, so dont quote me.

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7344420
08/31/21 04:35 PM
08/31/21 04:35 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Had a taxidermy customer of mine that was bitten by a Pygmy Rattler once when he lived down in Florida. It nailed him on the end of his pinky as he was unlocking a padlock chaining a rowboat to a tree. He said it felt more like a bee sting. He went to the ER and they said just to keep an eye on it. His finger swelled all up, the tip turned black and after a few days part of the tip sorta sloughed off. That was about it. He pummeled the serpent at the time it happened and took it to the ER with him. He gave the snake to me (it was in a mason jar in alcohol) and I had it on display in my showroom for years.

Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: tjm] #7345188
09/01/21 02:24 PM
09/01/21 02:24 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
Originally Posted by tjm

That's the stuff nightmares are made of .

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Re: Comparing rattlesnake venom [Re: Gulo] #7345282
09/01/21 04:34 PM
09/01/21 04:34 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
My father was a surveyor and in the 60's he was surveying in Pike Co Pa for the new interstate 84. The highway destroyed Pike Co and many land owners refused to sell so the state took the property under the public good. One property owner would drop white pine trees in their way when they were shooting line. Early one morning, as usual, the chainsaw started and he was back felling trees. The saw stopped and the crew heard a scream. They went to investigate and thought the guy cut himself w/chain saw but a timber rattler was hanging from his thigh cut off from the saw. By the time they got him to the survey van his thigh was black and they rushed him to Honesdale hospital. He was in the hospital for approx. a week and walked with a noticeable limp.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread