No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? #6541199
05/20/19 09:03 PM
05/20/19 09:03 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So what's everyone's thoughts on teaching someone to shoot ( well the basics of marksmenship and weapons safety) on the AR platform ?

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541202
05/20/19 09:05 PM
05/20/19 09:05 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
https://www.hunter-ed.com/gun-safety/

THE 4 RULES
OF FIREARM SAFETY

Always treat every firearm as though it is loaded.

The phrase “it’s unloaded” should never pass your lips and should never be trusted from someone else’s. Unless you are preparing to shoot, your first action with any firearm in all situations should be to point the muzzle in a safe direction, check the chamber, and clear the firearm.

Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

It might help to think of the muzzle as a laser pointer—and everything it points toward is in danger. Never let the muzzle cover anything you’re not willing to destroy. Regarding the “safe direction”: don’t forget the possibility of a ricochet!

Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

The best way to prevent accidental discharge is to keep your trigger finger indexed along the frame of the firearm until your sights are on the target. Do not place your finger inside the trigger guard until you’re ready to pull the trigger.

Always be sure of your target and what is in front of it and behind it.

Know the identifying features of the game you hunt. If you pull the trigger, you cannot take back the bullet! Everything and everyone in front of, near, and beyond your target is your responsibility. Make sure you have an adequate backstop and never shoot at a flat, hard surface or water.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541239
05/20/19 09:47 PM
05/20/19 09:47 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
X1000 DelawareRob.
Proper grips, stance, sight alignment (if a scope is used face distance from scope) are also very important. Handling malfunctions. Honestly it doesn't matter what firearm platform start at the basics. Go over the basics of said platform and emphasize SAFETY.

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541251
05/20/19 10:03 PM
05/20/19 10:03 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Before you introduce ammunition to the process, show the student every aspect and feature of an AR. Have them charge the bolt on an empty chamber and dry fire the gun. You can train a beginner student more without any ammunition than you can with ammunition.
A beginner student is often not at ease around a gun in which they are not familiar. Practicing without ammo will put them at ease.
Proper shooting position, pre-shot routine, proper breath control, trigger pull, and follow through can all be easily determined while dry firing.

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541263
05/20/19 10:19 PM
05/20/19 10:19 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Just my opinion...........but teach them first to shoot the M1A. They will then appreciate the reduced recoil of the AR and also realize what a horrible platform the AR truly is !

Mean As Nails
Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541264
05/20/19 10:20 PM
05/20/19 10:20 PM
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Southern NJ
I love my AR. I'm not sure it's the right rifle for a first time shooter. A lot of shooting issues come from being nervous about the gun. An AR looks scary and is really, really loud.

I like to start new shooters on a .22. We quickly work our way up if they are comfortable with each step

-Ryan
NRA firearms instructor.

-Ryan
Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541267
05/20/19 10:24 PM
05/20/19 10:24 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
The mechanics of firing a shot that 52Carl mentioned will be the same. However, an AR typically has a different grip, comb and forend than most other guns. A typical .22 rifle might be a better choice for that reason, plus a couple others. Less buy-in for the new shooter if they decide they want a gun of their own, and ammo is 1/5 the price as well. The .223/5.56 can also be pretty loud.

A lefty might also be put off by the brass coming back at their face, as well as the gases that come along with it.

They sure are fun though, just finished my first build a few weeks ago and already it's my favorite gun.

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541279
05/20/19 10:40 PM
05/20/19 10:40 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
a dedicated 22lr upper would be nice for ammo cost savings , the BCG conversions work but not as accurate when you get faster twist rifles.

I would take or send them to an Appleseed people will seldom dedicate two 8 hour days to marksmanship but committing to an Appleseed shoot makes that easier . the program also presents solid rifle marksmanship , steady hold factors and 6 steps to firing a shot breaking it down to very teachable steps.

there is certainly nothing wrong with teaching on the AR it can be very comfortable , with adjustable stocks it is actually very easy to make the rifle fit them. the manual of arms isn't difficult.

I agree hundreds of cycles of dry fire , I believe the Marines call it snapping in , I have heard they will spend 5 days at the range and not add ammo till day 4.

if you could have an ideal training platform dedicated 22lr upper set up just like your 5.56 upper but that is more than some have to spend.

start prone , build a good foundation , support hand open it is just a platform ,support arm under the rifle , loop sling Goldilocks tight , trigger knee up to get off the diaphragm , turkey neck and drop cheek-weld , c shaped trigger finger , middle of the first section of the trigger finger on the middle of the trigger. feet flat not up on toes , here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM4inXuzqrw

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541310
05/20/19 11:43 PM
05/20/19 11:43 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ok thanks everyone. The reason I brought this up is because my girlfriend been getting into outdoor stuff with me fishing and such but she really wants to learn how shoot so she can at least shoot with me at the range (her mom also really like the idea of her daughter knowing how properly use a weapon). She's not scared of guns or anything she's just never really had much more beyond " if a bad guy gets in the house aim this in his general direction and pull the trigger.

I was already looking at getting a dedicated .22lr upper for small game so I figured it would double good as a good training tool. I was thinking if I got a flat top I could buy a set or iorn sights to start her with. And it would be easier to add optics later down the line. Also I thought the collapsible stock and the pistol grip wou l make it easier for her to fit the rifle.

As far as the process I figure if just show her how we did it in basic training. Well minus the drill sergeants lol and alot of the extra stuff. Basically muzzle always down range,safety on when not firing ,don't point at somthing you do t intend on killing ,finger off the trigger till your ready to shoot. Then how the rifle works,what does what when and how. Then explain sight picture trigger control breathing. Then finally at her shoot 3 rounds at a time, tmshow her how to zero then just have fun shooting cans or somthing.

The once she good and confident with the .22 I can swap her over to th .223 upper and so on
Sound good ? I know I'm not a certified instructor ( we're actually planning on doing a concealed carry class somtime tis year ) but I figure this would be good enough to get her started

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: white17] #6541312
05/20/19 11:46 PM
05/20/19 11:46 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by white17
Just my opinion...........but teach them first to shoot the M1A. They will then appreciate the reduced recoil of the AR and also realize what a horrible platform the AR truly is !

Wish I had one lol !

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541319
05/20/19 11:59 PM
05/20/19 11:59 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
I'd start anyone on a single shot bolt action .22, if possible; simple, with light recoil and lets the concentration be applied to fundamentals. Agree with white17.

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541326
05/21/19 12:29 AM
05/21/19 12:29 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
No problem. All of the same principles apply. One change - one cartridge in the clip.

Be cautious and teach using the Socratic method - by asking questions.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541338
05/21/19 03:46 AM
05/21/19 03:46 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
realize what a horrible platform the AR truly is !
grin

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: maintenanceguy] #6541349
05/21/19 05:53 AM
05/21/19 05:53 AM
Iowa
C
coydog2 Offline
trapper
coydog2  Offline
trapper
C

Iowa
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
I love my AR. I'm not sure it's the right rifle for a first time shooter. A lot of shooting issues come from being nervous about the gun. An AR looks scary and is really, really loud.

I like to start new shooters on a .22. We quickly work our way up if they are comfortable with each step

-Ryan
NRA firearms instructor.

This what I would do also and have done to teach someone on fire arms. After said and done they will know the basic of all types of guns

Life member of DAV,NTA,NRA,ITA.Also member of FTA,CBA
Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541396
05/21/19 09:03 AM
05/21/19 09:03 AM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
pump BB gun is what I start my kids on - shoot until they are comfortable and send them on their own. Son brought back his first two squirrels last year with bb gun and now he has a single shot .22 - no rush, they need to learn all actions from pump, single shot, lever, bolt, how to safely midcock and decock a lever action, work a bolt fully etc before I hand someone an AR

you would be surprised by the number of people that shoot a gun and then stand there trying to shoot again without working an action.......or those that I don't want to be near when working a lever gun

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541421
05/21/19 09:36 AM
05/21/19 09:36 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
It works well,my 7 year old can handle the.recoil and sight alignment. Whatever gun you use, make it fun and start slow. We start out kids by just having them blast into the side of a hill. No aight alignment or proper grip or knowledge of how to load or charge a gun necessary. Just make it fun. Then we work up to shooting pop cans at 5 feet, just so they're hitting something. Things like sight alignment, loading, proper grip, breath control, etc etc can come later. Going slow and making it fun, and not work, are what's important. Don't use a nice gun, because they'll probably drop it or scratch it. Pistols above .22 only get one round, because recoil is usually sharper and unexpected, and we don't want accidents with guns pointing the wrong way. Only two kids can go on a shooting trip,because I only have two hands if things get really crazy. (Kids love to pick up empties and don't always pay attention). Obviously safety is Paramount and safety rules must be followed, 100% no exemptions, I'm kind of a "range Nazi" with the kids, because they need to learn the four safety rules fast.

Keep in mind this is what I do with a 5 year old, adults can obviously handle a little more than what a 5 year old can handle. Dry firing at home helps with learning safety, and kids like shooting .22s because hearing protection isn't necessarily required.

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541436
05/21/19 09:57 AM
05/21/19 09:57 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Wolfdog, an adult, like your girlfriend, can learn to shoot safely and accurately with your ar the same way tens of thousands of young adults are taught to safely and accurately shoot in military boot camp. Teaching an adult is much different than teaching a child. Teach her the same way the military teachs people. Start with an unloaded firearm. Firearm safety rules. Teach her the nomenclature of each part. Disassembly cleaning reassembly. Firearm safety rules. Then dry fire then live ammo.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541479
05/21/19 10:56 AM
05/21/19 10:56 AM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
Let them learn with a good 22cal less recoil, less cost of ammo build the skills then progress on.

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: tjm] #6541515
05/21/19 11:54 AM
05/21/19 11:54 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Originally Posted by tjm
I'd start anyone on a single shot bolt action .22, if possible; simple, with light recoil and lets the concentration be applied to fundamentals. Agree with white17.

This

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Teaching Someone to shoot on the AR-15 platform ? [Re: Wolfdog91] #6541593
05/21/19 02:51 PM
05/21/19 02:51 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
single shots are good and bad , good from the one and done shot stand point

slow for training because they spend so much time getting in and out of position , not saying that at some point lots of repetition getting in and out of position is all bad it is good. but a single shot leaves you with a dedicated single gun.

it is more cost effective and time efficient to use a semi auto and load 1 round until they are ready for more , then they can stay in position and work on sight alignment , sight picture , respiratory pause , front sight focus, trigger squeeze and follow through

my opinion first 5 magazines contain 1 round , then next 5 contain 2 rounds , then next few 3 rounds , I feel this is a bit less critical with 22lr rifles but extremely important in hand guns not that uncommon when a person tries a center fire pistol for the first time that you may want to stand behind them and catch the then empty gun. or start shooting in the grass encase they drop the gun and for it to only have 1 round until they are comfortable with it. one of the many reasons I hate magazine disconnects. if you charge the gun from the magazine then remove the mag you can't accidentally have a second round in that mag.

also every gun need a minimum of 2 magazines 3 or more is ideal.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread