No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6541044
05/20/19 04:55 PM
05/20/19 04:55 PM
West Virginia
W
WV Danimal Offline
trapper
WV Danimal  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Went last year with high hopes such as yours. Let me tell you right away, if it's 48" and blond bears, just stay home. The "big" bull pics on all the outfitter's web sites are very very far and few between. They'll all promise you that they are there, which for a lucky few they are but the reality is that most people end up shooting very small bulls or settle for a large cow for meat. I don't fly, anywhere, so I drove and it's part of the adventure for us. Do your research on the meat processor your outfitter will have you to use. I was told that our meat would be ready to go in time for us to catch the scheduled ferry crossing. My wife killed on day one, I killed on the last day. NONE of the meat was frozen and mine wasn't finished when we stopped to pick it up on the way to catch our ferry. They charged $6 per box to put the meat in which I had to rip apart and throw away so that the meat would fit into my coolers. We find hair in nearly every pack we thaw to eat. All for a ridiculous price to process. I will certainly process my own if I ever go again. Anyone who does their own deer shouldn't be intimidated to do a moose, just takes a lil longer. You also don't need a box truck to get the meat back home as everyone seems to claim. We had no problem getting 2 moose in 3 large coolers. Of course, that could've been in part due to the shady processor too. Exchange enough money to tip your guide in Canadian. Don't get caught up in the hype of 'big bad tough animals'. We shot ours with 270 wsm and mine went about 20 steps and fell over dead. My wife's went about 50 yards. You don't need a cannon to take them down. I personally 2nd the tip to forget about the bear and concentrate only on the moose if it is your once in a lifetime hunt. I saw a couple bear there that I could have easily taken but had no interest to pay that much to shoot one of the nasty critters that I can shoot off the porch of my cabin at home. If you're going in 2020 for sure, reserve your "cabin" on the ferry now or you will not get one if you wait any longer. They fill up fast and are pricey but worth it if you want some sleep on the over night float.

Trash your goals and plans for life. Just wing it and you'll never be let down!
Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6541052
05/20/19 05:18 PM
05/20/19 05:18 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Smart choice,Bigbrownie.The older I get the less I want to drive long distances.

Last edited by Boco; 05/20/19 05:19 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6541065
05/20/19 05:40 PM
05/20/19 05:40 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
In the 10 trips I made, we went 33 for 36. We only killed bulls, never shot anything smaller than 8 point bull. The largest bull was 50.25 inches, we got 1/2 dozen in the mid to high 40s. The three tags we didn’t fill, we could of had shooting at smaller moose, we were only looking for slabs. Most bull moose where we hunt are between 36”-42”.

In an average week of hunting, we normally see about 30 moose. The best week we had we saw 58, of which 23 were bulls.

In 2013, I hunted with a friend of my son, he was a youngster in his 20s, never had been on an outfitted hunt. First morning, we had 3 bull within easy stalk range. Much to my surprise, he passed on them. I was stunned, being that the biggest was a respectable 10 point. They next morning we came upon a dandy 18 point- 48 incher that he was able to kill. I shot a good 14 point on Thursday of the week. Reinforced the theory that you won’t kill a big one if you shoot the first little one you see. We never get an either sex tag.

Caribou hunting is now priced out of my league. Woodland caribou allocations are now under 1000 ( Newfoundland is the only place in the world you can hunt woodland caribou). Many outfitters are getting $10,000- $15,000 for a caribou hunt today.

I’ve never heard of color phase bears in NL, I don’t think they have any. On years when there is a good blueberry crop, bears will be out all day, feeding in the open berry flats. They don’t seem as wary as the bears we have at home.

We always use Ricks Meat in Buchans to cut and wrap. They do a great job, vacuum seal also. They coordinate with the trucking company to ship the meat back to the states. I pick up in Camton, Ohio....everything is always in great shape.

Re: Newfoundland [Re: Bigbrownie] #6541582
05/21/19 02:34 PM
05/21/19 02:34 PM
OH
T
trapperzohio Offline
trapper
trapperzohio  Offline
trapper
T

OH
Also looking into a Newfoundland moose hunt and done a decent amount of research. For those who have been there - do you generally have a better chance at a decent bull (not looking for a monster but something representative of the species) if you go to a fly-in only type outpost camp versus a drive-to camp? I realize that is a more expensive hunt and never a sure thing - however probably only going to do this once and want to put the odds in our favor if possible. Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by trapperzohio; 05/21/19 02:51 PM.

trapperzohio
Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6541845
05/21/19 10:10 PM
05/21/19 10:10 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
I can’t speak first hand about fly in camps, as I never personally did one of those hunts. I do know some outfitters who were doing them ( helicopter ), they’re charging much more for those hunts as some are paying as much as $1800 CAD an hour for helicopter flights. The pics I’ve seen of moose coming out of those areas didn’t impress me as being better than bulls we hunted by Argos.

Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6542108
05/22/19 11:58 AM
05/22/19 11:58 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
I mounted more Newfie Moose than ones from any other area. I know groups that went there repeatedly. I never saw a 48" bull taken by any of these folks. I also never heard of a color phase bear seen there. Color phase bear are rare as hen's teeth unless you get a bit west of the Great Lakes. I have seen exactly one cinnamon colored Black here at home in my entire life, and I've hunted them since the mid 70's, and handled hundreds of bear in my taxidermy studio. Colored bear will be even more unusual in Newfoundland. Those Outfitter websites are deceiving. They always show the whoppers taken, even if it was way bigger than their average bull. Most of the Newfie bulls I mounted would be considered eating sized meat bulls most places. All that being said, I would jump at a chance to hunt Moose there, but I have always been a meat hunter that would gladly tag about any just-legal beast I'd see on opening day! Good luck SGT. I'll cross my fingers for you and your hunting pals!

Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6542134
05/22/19 01:16 PM
05/22/19 01:16 PM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
If you all consider a 48 " a big one ? whistle

Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6542168
05/22/19 02:32 PM
05/22/19 02:32 PM
Ohio
Ronaround Offline
trapper
Ronaround  Offline
trapper

Ohio
been there 4 years ago in central Newfy. You Best go far west on the island to more remote locations, or your gonna get a meat bull on average or 30"inches best
i went with Central Outfitters.Not a lot to pick from when we was there.it was hot though and the super moon was also going.
the bear hunting was dismal and baiting was not as far as i was concerned done hardly at all. not one bear was shot with 6 hunters. i chose no bear for 500 bucks.
you want a bear and color phase to boot. Try Alberta.
you want a big moose ..upper BC or Yukon.

Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6581408
07/26/19 11:38 AM
07/26/19 11:38 AM
Pennsylvania
R
Romanic Offline
trapper
Romanic  Offline
trapper
R

Pennsylvania
Myself and three friends hunted Newfoundland two years ago. We all killed bulls two with bow. The biggest was 33" the rest were
4 or 6 points You can try for a 48" bull but chances are slim I did see one large bull during the week but he was far far away
shot my bull the last morning. No bear seen by any of us throughout the week. It is a great place to hunt and I hope to get back there
again. Your hunt for a 48" bull in Newfoundland is ambitious the smaller ones a great eating Have fun

Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6581765
07/26/19 09:10 PM
07/26/19 09:10 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I will be skipping Newfoundland. Heart set on a 45 or better bull. Once in a lifetime hunt. Thanks again, Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6581943
07/27/19 01:33 AM
07/27/19 01:33 AM
Ararat, P.A.
B
Blitzkrieg57 Offline
trapper
Blitzkrieg57  Offline
trapper
B

Ararat, P.A.
I’m going with my uncle to hunt with Matt Romkey from gander river outfitters this October, I’ve met him twice and each time he seemed like a very outgoing stand up guy, he had a 100% success rate last year and was on the show “Canada in the rough”. His bulls aren’t huge but average for Newfoundland. Looking forward to the hunting and the salmon fishing.

Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6582035
07/27/19 08:36 AM
07/27/19 08:36 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Sarge, if you are interested in a color phase bear you should consider a spring hunt in northern Idaho. Many of the northern hunt units have reduced price tags ($42) sold over the counter and allow 2 tags/hunter. A buddy and I went this past spring and had a blast. We brought home 2 cinnamon and one black and my buddy took his on day one and didn't hunt the other 4 days. Another forum member recommended the outfitter and we were VERY happy with his recommendation. It is definitely a bit of a drive (5520 round trip miles for me) but there is also plenty to see along the way. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Re: Newfoundland [Re: SGT. C] #6582408
07/27/19 07:13 PM
07/27/19 07:13 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
PM sent