No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. #6542642
05/23/19 12:13 PM
05/23/19 12:13 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Hey guys.

Planned to do something like this two years ago, but then the hurricanes happened and ruined that...

Wanting to drive down this December/January perhaps and spend a month or so bumming around Florida. My background is outdoor adventure, so sleeping in the back of our SUV, or tent is just part of the fun.

Bringing a zodiac with 15hp engine, and planning on doing kind of whatever we feel like. Fishing, ocean exploring, etc. Last time I wanted to bring my Yamaha Waverunner, but I feel like a good zodiac will be a lot more versatile, and less of a risk than bringing a ten thousand dollar supercharged machine with us...it will be slower, but who cares. Easier to fish out of a zodiac. The engine is newer, so no reliability issues. Plus, PWCs are not allowed on the gulf side, so that rules out some pretty cool stuff.

The biggest expense will be finding a place to stay. I am quite at home here with a tent and backpack, canoe, car, etc, but going down there where everything costs something and finding places to spend the night with a vehicle might be a bit more tough.

Found a place to stay at Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge. https://www.bpkfl.com/Rates.html

They have "rustic campsites", evn beach front which is I think $56.00 a night. Planning on doing that for a week or so, but wondering if there is anywhere else to do it cheaper, etc? Or if pulling the boat up and setting up camp somewhere out of the way is frowned upon, illegal etc.

Anyone have any advice for me and my wife?

Last edited by Hutchy; 05/23/19 12:14 PM.
Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542645
05/23/19 12:20 PM
05/23/19 12:20 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Also, not limited to the keys, we are going to be hanging out there for a while, but will be down for whatever.

Everglades backcountry sites look good at 16 bucks a night.

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542658
05/23/19 12:50 PM
05/23/19 12:50 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
I have go to the keys at that time every year. 56 dollars a night is the cheapest you are going to find unless someone lets you toss a tent up in their yard, dont try and hide out and camp on the side of the road they will just run you off, I doubt you can camp on the islands from the boat without being harassed but who knows. I have never stayed at Big pine lodge but I hear its nice. My favorite place was the KOA on Sugarloaf but it got smashed up pretty good and has been closed for two years now, supposed to be going again this year but I dont know what the camping situation will be. I also like the Jolly rogers resort and campground on Marathon but it is around 70 dollars a night for a campsite and kind of loud as it is close to the highway. The Zodiac will do you well, many people run Zodiacs, I personally only bring a Kayak so I cant tell you much about that.

Make sure your tent is Noseeum proof as they can be brutal down there. You can PM me any questions or post them up as you think of them and ill try and get back to you.

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542661
05/23/19 12:54 PM
05/23/19 12:54 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Also check out the state parks. I've found the ones that have campsites to be slot cheaper than private owned one's.
Just Google Florida state parks.

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542662
05/23/19 12:55 PM
05/23/19 12:55 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
$56 a night is cheap

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: hippie] #6542664
05/23/19 12:58 PM
05/23/19 12:58 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by hippie
Also check out the state parks. I've found the ones that have campsites to be slot cheaper than private owned one's.
Just Google Florida state parks.

Yes do this, try Bahia Honda State park, I never stay there because I am never able to book far enough in advance and it fills up 6+ months ahead of time. Worth looking into for sure.

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542666
05/23/19 01:00 PM
05/23/19 01:00 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Hutch check these guys out...Jason is a good friend of mine...A trapper as well...

http://betterthanmostwatersports.com/

I'll PM you some info...Jim

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542670
05/23/19 01:04 PM
05/23/19 01:04 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Good times...

[Linked Image]

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6542691
05/23/19 01:58 PM
05/23/19 01:58 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I have go to the keys at that time every year. 56 dollars a night is the cheapest you are going to find unless someone lets you toss a tent up in their yard, dont try and hide out and camp on the side of the road they will just run you off, I doubt you can camp on the islands from the boat without being harassed but who knows. I have never stayed at Big pine lodge but I hear its nice. My favorite place was the KOA on Sugarloaf but it got smashed up pretty good and has been closed for two years now, supposed to be going again this year but I dont know what the camping situation will be. I also like the Jolly rogers resort and campground on Marathon but it is around 70 dollars a night for a campsite and kind of loud as it is close to the highway. The Zodiac will do you well, many people run Zodiacs, I personally only bring a Kayak so I cant tell you much about that.

Make sure your tent is Noseeum proof as they can be brutal down there. You can PM me any questions or post them up as you think of them and ill try and get back to you.

Awesome. I will message you later!

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Muskrat] #6542692
05/23/19 01:59 PM
05/23/19 01:59 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Muskrat
$56 a night is cheap

Perhaps, but your talking to a guy who has never paid to pitch a tent in his life, and only to park in toronto!!

I get its a different environment though, hence the post.

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Redknot] #6542693
05/23/19 02:01 PM
05/23/19 02:01 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Redknot
Hutch check these guys out...Jason is a good friend of mine...A trapper as well...

http://betterthanmostwatersports.com/

I'll PM you some info...Jim

Awesome. I look forward to it. Real close to big pine key!

Last edited by Hutchy; 05/23/19 02:01 PM.
Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542699
05/23/19 02:09 PM
05/23/19 02:09 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

I Know the zodiac is a good option for all around exploring. Fairly inexpensive, holds a decent amount, planes well, and is super portable. Doesnt need a trailer, and yet safe in our georgian bay four and five footers.

What is the water like that time of year? I Imagine the gulf side is somewhat calm, and the other side is a bit rougher?

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542700
05/23/19 02:11 PM
05/23/19 02:11 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
I never camped in the Keys but have fished there several times. Everything is expensive. Load up on food and supplies before you get there. I've seen the state parks and done some freelance fishing off the highway for bonefish, but mostly fly fished tarpon with guides.

Beautiful area and the Zodiac should be fine. Make sure you pay attention to the tides but I guess a Zodiac is easier to pull off a sand bar than a Bayliner.

Good luck.

Pete

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542701
05/23/19 02:16 PM
05/23/19 02:16 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Hutchy
I Know the zodiac is a good option for all around exploring. Fairly inexpensive, holds a decent amount, planes well, and is super portable. Doesnt need a trailer, and yet safe in our georgian bay four and five footers.

What is the water like that time of year? I Imagine the gulf side is somewhat calm, and the other side is a bit rougher?

You will be able to go out on the Gulf side almost any day and will have to pick your days on the Atlantic, winter is their rough water season but the fishing is okay in Kayak range and will be much better Zodiac range you just will probably not be able to target the true blue water fish (tuna etc) but should be able to get plenty of Snapper and grunts and if lucky a legal grouper (season closes January 1st). If you like snorkeling or diving I would highly recommend to bring that gear, diving for lobsters is a great experience. Camping without electricity may be brutally hot 80+ degrees and super high humidity can be miserable for those of us from the North.

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542717
05/23/19 03:25 PM
05/23/19 03:25 PM
NE
M
Marty B Offline
"arbitrary noob"
Marty B  Offline
"arbitrary noob"
M

NE
Also, not limited to the keys, we are going to be hanging out there for a while, but will be down for whatever.

100% Deet

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Marty B] #6542721
05/23/19 03:38 PM
05/23/19 03:38 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Marty B

100% Deet

Understood. My house is surrounded by a horseshoe shaped pond. If you can run to the car without getting bit you are doing good. lol Prepared!

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Donnersurvivor] #6542724
05/23/19 03:39 PM
05/23/19 03:39 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

You will be able to go out on the Gulf side almost any day and will have to pick your days on the Atlantic, winter is their rough water season but the fishing is okay in Kayak range and will be much better Zodiac range you just will probably not be able to target the true blue water fish (tuna etc) but should be able to get plenty of Snapper and grunts and if lucky a legal grouper (season closes January 1st). If you like snorkeling or diving I would highly recommend to bring that gear, diving for lobsters is a great experience. Camping without electricity may be brutally hot 80+ degrees and super high humidity can be miserable for those of us from the North.

I am as green to saltwater fishing as can be. Is my bass/walleye rod going to suffice? Was only hoping to bring one.

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: swift4me] #6542726
05/23/19 03:46 PM
05/23/19 03:46 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by swift4me
I never camped in the Keys but have fished there several times. Everything is expensive. Load up on food and supplies before you get there. I've seen the state parks and done some freelance fishing off the highway for bonefish, but mostly fly fished tarpon with guides.

Beautiful area and the Zodiac should be fine. Make sure you pay attention to the tides but I guess a Zodiac is easier to pull off a sand bar than a Bayliner.

Good luck.

Pete

What were you using for the bonefish? And a zodiac is going to get rolled up and put on my trailer hitch carrier. I can carry the boat somewhat easily sans engine. Engine will go inside the vehicle. I get that everything is pricey. We are big into freezer bag cooking (which sounds awful, but is actually cheap, fast and delicious. With a jetboil I can have an entree while sitting in traffic) Easy to bring food with us, and my Pellican cooler holds ice for ages. We are well versed in cheap, as otherwise we couldn't do half the stuff we do.

I am not averse to doing some guided stuff. Spending money on that kind of stuff is a good idea IMO

Last edited by Hutchy; 05/23/19 03:46 PM.
Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542727
05/23/19 03:48 PM
05/23/19 03:48 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Got to spend some time here . . .

https://sloppyjoes.com

Re: Help! Florida Keys on the cheap. [Re: Hutchy] #6542732
05/23/19 03:59 PM
05/23/19 03:59 PM
Ohio
D
Dan D Offline
trapper
Dan D  Offline
trapper
D

Ohio
A bass/walleye rod would be fine on the Gulf side. Lots of fun fish to catch.

My advise, save a few extra bucks and really live it up. The Keys are a special place with so much to do and see. The reef on the Atlantic side is only a few miles off shore. Sails, kings and dolphin are in close in the winter. Can be sporty that time of year.

Stop at Alabama Jacks in Key Largo on the way down. Cool atmosphere and really good conch fritters. If ya stay close to Big Pine, check out the No Name Pub. Good pizza and the best Key Lime Pie.

I love it down there. Hope ya enjoy the trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread