No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6542545
05/23/19 08:42 AM
05/23/19 08:42 AM
nunya,ks
T
tbn Offline
trapper
tbn  Offline
trapper
T

nunya,ks
Maybe so. And if it was 100 percent,I would buy it. Even then I would still be leary.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6542554
05/23/19 08:55 AM
05/23/19 08:55 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Good info thanks

If there is real stuff out there how does one know if he is getting actual bobcat urine?
Let’s say I’m buying bobcat urine and the dealer/maker states that it’s a man made urine
that gives me the choice to buy it or walk away...

What about collecting some from a domestic cat? Would this be better then the fake stuff?

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6542950
05/23/19 10:53 PM
05/23/19 10:53 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
The Montana dealer I buy from has good cat urine

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543022
05/24/19 07:27 AM
05/24/19 07:27 AM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline
trapper
John Graham  Offline
trapper
J

WYOMING
I personally made several trips to Western Montana to pick up my yearly supply of bobcat urine at Richwines. I walked through their facility, asked questions, marveled at how clean and well run it all was. And, I was impressed by how much WORK was involved. I personally watched Corey pour urine from one vat into a bigger pourer, and into clean gallon jugs. I smelled, it, I saw the unreal numbers 'cats, and watched them handle some. I KNOW it was and is the real deal. I usually brought home 100 gallons or more. The only thing that I ever did to any I USED and or sold was that I add about 15-20 percent glycerine to it, to not only keep it from freezing, but to make it last longer at a set. ALL that I've sold has had that done to it. No watering down to stretch it. No synthetic.

After we moved to Wyoming, We met them somewhere, when they made their yearly trips east to deliver urine. I usually placed my order months in advance, and I always told Corey that I'd take more if he had it. He rarely did, since he had more orders to fill, and is a fair, honest guy.

When they announced that they were getting out of the business, I placed a large order, ASAP. I figured that it might be the last chance to get quality bobcat urine, in any large amounts, ever again. I'm still sitting good for another year or two, but after that, I will simply discontinue selling it, rather than try to find a large supplier. I know of another larger bobcat operation, but they flat refuse to collect urine.

As for collecting bladder urine and using it, yes, it is great stuff, obviously. But, just a few days ago, I poured some bladder urine I'd collected while glanding 'cats this winter. It had been there for months, and I noticed it was too the same dark amber color of the urine I get from Corey Richwine. It wasn't the nice yellow or amber color you see as you are collecting it. I walked over and opened a gallon jug of 'cat urine that I'd bought earlier, and I'd defy ANYONE to tell me which one was collected vs bladder. I smell lots of urine and I know a little about it.

And, that, my friends is how I see it. I don't comment on stuff much, but this is something that I care about, and KNOW about. It isn't second hand or repeated. The yearly trips to pick up a supply of quality product was an event we looked forward to. I just wish I'd have taken more pictures.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543028
05/24/19 07:40 AM
05/24/19 07:40 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Mr Graham thank you for taking the time to share that information with us.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543039
05/24/19 07:56 AM
05/24/19 07:56 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Mr Grahm, what percentage do you think was sold by that fur farm compared to how many gallons get sold nation wide? Who else was collecting, on a large scale?

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543058
05/24/19 08:34 AM
05/24/19 08:34 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Good post John. I knew you got some of Cory's juice as we both know who he was selling to because he would tell us.

I placed a large order in the final year of the Richwine's operation as well (as bobcat urine keeps well) and got all I ordered but with us no longer selling retail as of June 1st, I shipped more than 100 gallons to F&T recently. I know they also bought from Cory so they knew the value of what I was offering them.

Who can tell where everyone gets their urine as all those of us who have been in the biz for any amount of time can do is tend to our own. The point some of us are making on this forum that statements that begin with "always" or "never" or "all" are usually not as accurate as general statements. To ask how much one supplier produced for the trade would be tricky to figure out unless you knew how much every dealer sold and we don't tell each other these things any more than all the pizzerias tell each other how many pizzas they sell. Do some use cheap tomato sauce? Maybe? Is some pizza better than others? Yep. You be the judge. Trappers are smart enough to figure out good pizza and how good urine is would be my guess. But then again, I'm an optimist.

As a rule- I've long known that some have no concept of how successful trapping businesses can be if they are built on reputable ground and treat trappers fair and square. Even in slow fur price eras, businesses can thrive. It's the American way. Trappers support supplier who treat them well and have consistent products and pricing.

For those businesses that undercut, liable, cheat, etc.... their tenure will be short and transparent over time.

Good input Mr. Graham. See you at the NTA in MO brother.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543332
05/24/19 06:15 PM
05/24/19 06:15 PM
WYOMING
J
John Graham Offline
trapper
John Graham  Offline
trapper
J

WYOMING
Danny, i'd hate to speculate what is getting sold on the national level. I've personally walked in on a now defunct trapping supply business making fox urine, and I've also been told by a fairly large supply dealer, years ago, that they water their stuff down by 50%. I talk to very few other dealers anymore. i just keep to myself for the most part.

Mark, I haven't been to an NTA or FTA convention in years! I guess I haven't run into you since Brownwood, Texas a few years ago. I still regret not buying that extra BBQ brisket they had for sell!

I rented a whole fairgrounds for my 'Coyote Days' this August, for less than I'd pay for a decent sized booth at the NTA. I'm putting my time and effort in to that. Coyotes keep me busy right here at home, and I like not having to travel.

Maybe see you down the road somewhere though! John

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543348
05/24/19 06:26 PM
05/24/19 06:26 PM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
Good luck, glad things are going good!

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543562
05/25/19 07:24 AM
05/25/19 07:24 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

John,

You're correct it was Brownsville. That was a fun time for sure. You're good people with a rock solid business and whatever you set your mind to gets done right! Period. Expertise + the right attitude + invocation is in your blood grin

I'm also am trapping coyotes this time of year and I just got back from a ranch NW of Houston yesterday. When I'm on the road I log into TMan as when I'm home it's not on the radar. Dang HOT this time of year to be chasing doggies but that's when God made deer have fawns and these exotics drop all year long, so if I was a coyote I'd live on a few of these places myself! Between the heat, rain & humidity, bugs, ants, dung beetles & vultures and such... it makes for a REAL challenge here. 94 yesterday with 90% humidity. Whew. I don't sweat much but I need to start.

We also aren't doing many shows and as of this year - only the NTA. This old trapper is headed off to schooling end of August for 4 years up in Dallas and time won't allow. But we're all making life choices and heck we've been at the trapping biz game like you for a long time. 34 years goes by quick for sure. For sure for sure.

We're content to make our lures/baits, conduct our Academy and appreciate a life blessed with 11 grandkidddos (that were trying to see more often in MI, TN, and here in TX).

I keep current on your articles in TP (great stuff brother) and wish you a fine time at your trapper's gathering. You're a great writer and hold the reader's attention based on writing ability and your skill sets. You're a pro at merging the two and putting it on paper for all of us. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks John.
Safe travels.
Blessings
Mark

Last edited by Mark June; 05/25/19 07:28 AM.
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543691
05/25/19 10:58 AM
05/25/19 10:58 AM
N.W. Iowa
T
Tactical.20 Offline
trapper
Tactical.20  Offline
trapper
T

N.W. Iowa
I couldn't live down south, the heat would kill me

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6543714
05/25/19 11:40 AM
05/25/19 11:40 AM
Southaest Kansas
C
Coyote Clayton Offline
trapper
Coyote Clayton  Offline
trapper
C

Southaest Kansas
I have just the answer. 25 rubber coated pee cages just for bobcat urine collection. Check them out on the Trap Shed. The guy I bought the cages from used to sell to O' Gorman. I collected for several years. I sold my coyote urine wholesale to national suppliers. The cat urine never made it out of Kansas. Well fed cats (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) a lot.

Compulsive Coyote Washer
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6544237
05/26/19 10:47 AM
05/26/19 10:47 AM
Mi, Mecosta
A
ambush32 Offline OP
trapper
ambush32  Offline OP
trapper
A

Mi, Mecosta
Looks like Mr Graham would be a good choice...thanks

Thought I was a good trapper until I started trapping coyotes......
Thought I was a good bowhunter until I targeted mature bucks....
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6544267
05/26/19 11:25 AM
05/26/19 11:25 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have been getting cat urine for many years from Corey as well. Good product every gallon I purchased. He will be missed as will his urine. He was a great man to deal with as was his wife. About as fair as can be expected in my experience. That urine was all real but I have had been around synthetic and authentic over the years. Those in the know can usually tell the difference or may be very suspect due some indicators, however others are at the mercy of what they buy.

I think all that dealt with him got what they could handle $$ wise when he advised us he was leaving the business. Once I get down to my own personal needs inventory we wont be selling any more unless we find another reputable producer.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6544272
05/26/19 11:30 AM
05/26/19 11:30 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
well now everybody knows where the limited supply is. that you might want to stock up.

good news is that good red fox or coyote pee either one is also very effective for cats. I am more likely to use my bobcat bladder pee on coyotes. get one that seems a bit nervous often some cat pee is all that is needed to catch it.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: John Graham] #6544333
05/26/19 01:14 PM
05/26/19 01:14 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by John Graham
Danny, i'd hate to speculate what is getting sold on the national level. I've personally walked in on a now defunct trapping supply business making fox urine, and I've also been told by a fairly large supply dealer, years ago, that they water their stuff down by 50%. I talk to very few other dealers anymore. i just keep to myself for the most part.

Mark, I haven't been to an NTA or FTA convention in years! I guess I haven't run into you since Brownwood, Texas a few years ago. I still regret not buying that extra BBQ brisket they had for sell!

I rented a whole fairgrounds for my 'Coyote Days' this August, for less than I'd pay for a decent sized booth at the NTA. I'm putting my time and effort in to that. Coyotes keep me busy right here at home, and I like not having to travel.

Maybe see you down the road somewhere though! John

John,
Can you tell us a little more about your Coyote Days? Dates, location, demos, etc. Is there an ad someplace for it. I looked on your website and didn’t come across it.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6544347
05/26/19 01:40 PM
05/26/19 01:40 PM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

Coyote Days will be August 9-10 at the Fairgrounds in Lusk Wyoming.

Saturday is 10 hours of demo's by the best in the business.

Calling, trapping, fur handling, grading, biology.

Topped off by a fur fashion show, steak dinner and auction.

Here's a link to last years promo.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...-coyote-bobcat-men-and-women#Post6311834

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: Monster Toms] #6544406
05/26/19 04:56 PM
05/26/19 04:56 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
[quote=Monster Toms]Coyote Days will be August 9-10 at the Fairgrounds in Lusk Wyoming.

Saturday is 10 hours of demo's by the best in the business.

Calling, trapping, fur handling, grading, biology.

Topped off by a fur fashion show, steak dinner and auction.

Here's a link to last years promo.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...-coyote-bobcat-men-and-women#Post6311834

Last year in the comments, it was indicated this get together was the Wyoming State Convention. I take it this year, it is separate than the state convention held in Riverton Wy. On August 23-24?

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #6544413
05/26/19 05:22 PM
05/26/19 05:22 PM
Kansas
S
Swifty Offline
trapper
Swifty  Offline
trapper
S

Kansas
From the Wyoming Trapper's Association website:

Wyoming State Trappers Assoc. 2019 RENDEZVOUS August 23rd & 24th in Riverton, WY

So, John's Coyote Days IS a different event than the WY state convention.

Re: Bobcat Urine [Re: ambush32] #6544414
05/26/19 05:23 PM
05/26/19 05:23 PM
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

Correct!