No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Out of state tax? [Re: QuietButDeadly] #6543744
05/25/19 12:39 PM
05/25/19 12:39 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
. . . . Keeping up with the tax rates in all 50 states and special districts within those states would be a huge undertaking and expense to any business and would certainly affect competition for the consumers dollar.

It's actually quite easy to figure sales tax for an out of state sale where the state requires the seller to remit sales tax. Every state has a website where the seller can go to punch in the zip code and the percentage comes up automatically. Works fine for small businesses that have time to track every order. I don't know how the larger ones do it. Must be an app thing. I'm still into writing up invoices and scanning them to email back to the customer. So not a big deal here. Plus there are just so many states that have jumped on this wagon.

Re: Out of state tax? [Re: Bigbuck] #6543794
05/25/19 01:49 PM
05/25/19 01:49 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
If a business has stores in your State say Bass Pro or a business has done a certain amount of sales to a State they are required to collect tax, small business Mom and Pops can get away with it if they don't do a large amount of sales.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Out of state tax? [Re: Muskrat] #6543809
05/25/19 02:13 PM
05/25/19 02:13 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by Muskrat
Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
. . . . Keeping up with the tax rates in all 50 states and special districts within those states would be a huge undertaking and expense to any business and would certainly affect competition for the consumers dollar.

It's actually quite easy to figure sales tax for an out of state sale where the state requires the seller to remit sales tax. Every state has a website where the seller can go to punch in the zip code and the percentage comes up automatically. Works fine for small businesses that have time to track every order. I don't know how the larger ones do it. Must be an app thing. I'm still into writing up invoices and scanning them to email back to the customer. So not a big deal here. Plus there are just so many states that have jumped on this wagon.

So any city or county sales tax doesn't apply to remote sellers?

Re: Out of state tax? [Re: Bigbuck] #6543811
05/25/19 02:15 PM
05/25/19 02:15 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Yes it does. Punching in the zip code will determine the percentage of the sale.

Re: Out of state tax? [Re: Law Dog] #6543815
05/25/19 02:22 PM
05/25/19 02:22 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Law Dog
. . . . small business Mom and Pops can get away with it if they don't do a large amount of sales.

True . . . . UNLESS they've done a show in that state and had to register their tax ID with that state. Then they're "supposed to" collect and send taxes for all sales, not just the show where bigger bucks are earned.

As this issue snowballs with more states jumping in here (you can see how many jumped on just this year from my first post) the Feds will eventually step in and make a one size fits all. My opinion anyway.

Re: Out of state tax? [Re: Bigbuck] #6543818
05/25/19 02:28 PM
05/25/19 02:28 PM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Now Wisconsin has a whole different approach. Out of state retailers are not yet required to remit sales tax collected from WI residents (unless they have a brick/mortar inside WI). Instead, WI residents are required to remit sales tax to the WI Dept of Revenue based on property the WI resident purchased outside Wisconsin and brought into the state without having paid sales tax on it.

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQS/pcs-diff.aspx

Re: Out of state tax? [Re: Bigbuck] #6543826
05/25/19 02:54 PM
05/25/19 02:54 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Idaho's law is the same. Idaho residents are required to pay Idaho sales tax (6 %) on all out of state purchases. It is called a "use tax". There is a line for it on the state tax form.

Very few people do that and the state does not audit returns for that item, as a general rule.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Out of state tax? [Re: wissmiss] #6543849
05/25/19 03:26 PM
05/25/19 03:26 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Originally Posted by wissmiss
Idaho's law is the same. Idaho residents are required to pay Idaho sales tax (6 %) on all out of state purchases. It is called a "use tax". There is a line for it on the state tax form.

Very few people do that and the state does not audit returns for that item, as a general rule.

Same here in NC. There is a USE Tax line item on the state income tax. You can calculate the actual if you track your purchases or there is a formula based on your adjusted gross income. I just use the formula as I do not keep track. For the amount I have to pay, it is not worth the trouble of tracking purchases.

But hearing most folks talking about out of state purchases, I get the feeling that most folks do not pay the USE Tax.

Give the states time and they will figure out how much revenue they are losing and start going after folks. Would be easy enough to use credit card records to establish the tax liability.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Out of state tax? [Re: Bigbuck] #6543861
05/25/19 04:01 PM
05/25/19 04:01 PM
sometimes PA sometimes ME
E
ebsurveyor Offline
trapper
ebsurveyor  Offline
trapper
E

sometimes PA sometimes ME
Originally Posted by Bigbuck
I just talked to the owner and he said that his new guy did not know about out of state sales tax, he said he will reimburse me 100% of the sales tax that I was charged.
Good deal

Chances are he does not have a MO state license to collect MO state sales tax.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread