No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Dirt] #6543843
05/25/19 03:21 PM
05/25/19 03:21 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Building codes and permits have killed creativity subjecting us to live in a world of indistinguishable houses made for undistinguished people. Only the rich can afford to express themselves and distinguish themselves now.

[Linked Image]

I didn't know I was rich?

Cheers! The exception to the rule however does not the rule make, how many fantastic buildings have we missed out on because it would not "meet code", you get my point.

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6543848
05/25/19 03:26 PM
05/25/19 03:26 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Probably would have been tough to get a permit for the tower and get it approved by the homeowners association. Then the engineers would have frowned on my design, and OSHA would have been all over me for the unsafe things I did building it. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: loosegoose] #6543860
05/25/19 03:54 PM
05/25/19 03:54 PM
Sugar Grove, WV
J
JTfromWV Offline
trapper
JTfromWV  Offline
trapper
J

Sugar Grove, WV
Originally Posted by loosegoose
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
My main issue with code is how a lot of it is formulated. The National Electrical code isn't always written with safety in mind... The code making panel is comprised of fire prevention gurus (NFPA) electrical contractors/installers, manufacturers, etc...

I've seen a few things in the code that tell me that some of the methods and materials required by code are the result of people who have a vested interest in selling those methods and materials.

Safety should be the primary motivator, not using some obscure article to force me to purchase extraneous material.

Mike

Unions are behind a lot of local codes too. Chicago won't allow the use of romex (at least no more than 6 continuous feet of romex), everything's gotta be in conduit. They won't allow pex either. The electrical and plumbing unions insist on these because it makes more work for them, and prevents homeowners from doing a lot of their own work, not for any legitimate safety reason. Most of the whole country uses romex, and pex has been used in Europe for something like 50 years.

I was always told the reason for Chicago having the no Romex or Pex laws is because of the large rat population.

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: loosegoose] #6543868
05/25/19 04:24 PM
05/25/19 04:24 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Originally Posted by loosegoose
Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
My main issue with code is how a lot of it is formulated. The National Electrical code isn't always written with safety in mind... The code making panel is comprised of fire prevention gurus (NFPA) electrical contractors/installers, manufacturers, etc...

I've seen a few things in the code that tell me that some of the methods and materials required by code are the result of people who have a vested interest in selling those methods and materials.

Safety should be the primary motivator, not using some obscure article to force me to purchase extraneous material.

Mike

Unions are behind a lot of local codes too. Chicago won't allow the use of romex (at least no more than 6 continuous feet of romex), everything's gotta be in conduit. They won't allow pex either. The electrical and plumbing unions insist on these because it makes more work for them, and prevents homeowners from doing a lot of their own work, not for any legitimate safety reason. Most of the whole country uses romex, and pex has been used in Europe for something like 50 years.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about Cook County, IL and their codes.

Codes and unions aside... My next house will have conduit and FMC ran throughout... I hate Romex. It's garbage, cheap garbage. MC cable is almost as bad.

I realize not everyone has the time, resources, or experience to wire their own home... But in my opinion once you've spent a few years doing electrical work then you'll understand my hatred for Romex and blue plastic boxes... Lower installation cost is their only upside.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: traprjohn] #6543870
05/25/19 04:31 PM
05/25/19 04:31 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by traprjohn
When my daughter and SIL put a house on our farm I had to get
building permit
well permit
septic permit THEN
building inspection fee
well inspection fee
septic inspection fee
THEN
waited 2 weeks after everything passed and had to call why we couldn't turn the power on
they said we hadn't paid the $3500 IMPACT FEE for our impacting the county
I called and said "this farm has been in our family since 1894 and we are impacting our own personal property"
YEP, they said, send us payment.
CROOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEN we had to put a real street sign on our driveway since now there were 3 "domiciles" on the road......so had to get all landowners along our 1/2 mile driveway to agree to a name and sign the petition, which then goes before the county commissioners for approval....BUT THAT WAS ALL FREE

how did you ever get by without a driveway permit?

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6543871
05/25/19 04:33 PM
05/25/19 04:33 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I have been dabbling in wiring for 40 years. I could see the hate for the blue boxes, but romex???????

Who is John Galt?
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Dirt] #6543884
05/25/19 04:59 PM
05/25/19 04:59 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Dirt
I have been dabbling in wiring for 40 years. I could see the hate for the blue boxes, but romex???????

The blue boxes suck, i use all metal. I've run miles of both MC and Romex. Why the hatred of Romex. I only hate the heavier gauges because 10 and up sucks to work with.

Eh...wot?

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6543893
05/25/19 05:29 PM
05/25/19 05:29 PM
Northeast Oklahoma
M
Mike in A-town Offline
trapper
Mike in A-town  Offline
trapper
M

Northeast Oklahoma
Romex is too easily damaged and it always gets damaged or chewed on in the worst spot when you go to repair.

Romex initially has the low cost and rapid install... But once the wall is rocked, you're hosed if anything goes wrong.
Pretty much the same with MC.

Mike

One man with a gun may control 100 others who have none.

Vladimir Lenin
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: tjm] #6543907
05/25/19 06:16 PM
05/25/19 06:16 PM
Berlin, Pa.
C
cci Offline
trapper
cci  Offline
trapper
C

Berlin, Pa.
Originally Posted by tjm
Originally Posted by trapdog1
And the Darwin Award Guy is going to bother to get a permit?

Probably not, which why hammers, screw drivers and building materials should only be sold to licensed professionals. If you did remodel or insurance repairs in an average large city for a few years you would understand. Without building codes and permits you would not be anble to buy homeowner's or renter's insurance.
I live in the country so if you burn your place it doesn't cost me to put the fire out or clean up your rubble, i therefore do not require you get a permit; but I used to work in a city and i fully understand why the taxpayers would want the protection of codes and permits.
so you make the laws???

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6543987
05/25/19 08:38 PM
05/25/19 08:38 PM
pa.
J
jarentz Offline
trapper
jarentz  Offline
trapper
J

pa.
I have one better than that! in our township you have to pay 50.00 per year to work in said township. This was to keep flyby night worker out. I told the township officers that the flyby workers are in here.

jarentz
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6543999
05/25/19 08:59 PM
05/25/19 08:59 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
The same township I mentioned above with all the ridiculous permit applications and bullet-proof glass used to charge a percentage of your gross job costs as a fee for working there. Not a percentage of your net profits but a percentage of total job costs annually. It was absurd and after several years there was a lawsuit brought against the township by a group of contractors which they won.

Eh...wot?

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6544088
05/25/19 11:31 PM
05/25/19 11:31 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
I retired from the insurance industry in 2002 and I know there was a question about improvements and the use of licensed contractors. Once sold a policy to a man who was so proud that he did all the electrical himself. In a phone interview with underwriting he told them all the trades he did himself. His premiums were returned and his policy canceled. It was a brand new home. Had another fellow try to file a claim for damages that resulted from shody work by an unlicensed electrician. His home later burned to the ground with his wife inside. We cancelled his policy about six months earlier at the first renewal.

There is no law against ruining your life and property. If you have a mortgage, the lender requires certain assurances as does the property insurer. A building permit usually triggers an inspection. Not a bad law at all. It also insures property is accurated valued for property taxes.

Last edited by charles; 05/25/19 11:33 PM.
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6544099
05/26/19 12:47 AM
05/26/19 12:47 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
"Cooking is by far the #1 cause of fires in the home. That makes sense. Who doesn't know of someone who's had a kitchen fire and probably had something on their stove catch flame once or twice? Ok maybe I'm not a very good cook, but I think fires in the kitchen are not very uncommon and they can certainly turn into major fires. "

I wonder if insurance should be cancelled, if people cook in their houses?

Around 7 percent of fires are related to electricity. Most are from the stuff plugged in or goofy things homeowners do and some are from old wiring or faulty breakers.

Last edited by Dirt; 05/26/19 01:20 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6544120
05/26/19 06:43 AM
05/26/19 06:43 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Few years back we added a new build upstairs bathroom, our county zoning officer stop by and drank a beer with us. Never said a word. I owe him one

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6544122
05/26/19 06:45 AM
05/26/19 06:45 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
In one State , they are requiring a Building Permit to install a......

DISHWASHER !!!

shocked

Could you share what state this is a law in?
thanks

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6544127
05/26/19 07:20 AM
05/26/19 07:20 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
permits exist for one reason. its easier for the county to keep track of value increases and tax people accordingly

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6544133
05/26/19 07:41 AM
05/26/19 07:41 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Also, the fees involved in obtaining permits is a good source of revenue.

Eh...wot?

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6544241
05/26/19 10:54 AM
05/26/19 10:54 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
It is not just about fees and money. We had to adopt a building code in our city of 180 souls to keep stupid people that move in here from building stuff they couldn't get away with anywhere else. Stupid stuff. So...now because of stupidity and offensiveness and lack of common sense, the City has to approve any building within it's limits.

An example would be that occurring in the city naturally is that along any street, the fronts of all the houses seem to line up, equidistant from the road. All of the sudden, someone realizes that on their narrow, too small too build on, lot, that they , perhaps, could just build to within a few feet of the street, obstructing everyone elses view, and making it hard to deal with snow and maintenance issues, and giving themselves on outside place to park, off of the street.

That is just one example of why some oversight is needed.

People are stupid and have no common sense, and don't care about their neighbors either.

I am vise mayor in town here and on the city council, and I see first hand the stupidity of average people, especially those folks that think they have "rights". My town is 3 blocks square and has a beautiful creek running through it, and a city park with 10 RV slips in it.

If I had a chance, I would veto the building permit for any section 8 housing that might ever happen as well, in my town, as it brings in a bad element.

There are good reasons to have building permits.

Last edited by trapper les; 05/26/19 10:59 AM. Reason: embarressing spelling error

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: trapper les] #6544246
05/26/19 10:58 AM
05/26/19 10:58 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by trapper les
It is not just about fees and money. We had to adopt a building code in our city of 180 souls to keep stupid people that move in here from building stuff they couldn't get away with anywhere else. Stupid stuff. So...now because of stupidity and offensiveness and lack of common sense, the City has to approve any building within it's limits.

An example would be that occurring in the city naturally is that along any street, the fronts of all the houses seem to line up, equidistant from the road. All of the suddne, someone realizes that on their narrow, too small too build on, lot, that they , perhaps, could just build to within a few feet of the street, obstructing everyone elses view, and making it hard to deal with snow and maintenance issues, and giving themselves on outside place to park, off of the street.

That is just one example of why some oversight is needed.

People are stupid and have no common sense, and don't care about their neighbors either.

I am vise mayor in town here and on the city council, and I see first hand the stupidity of average people, especially those folks that think they have "rights". My town is 3 blocks square and has a beautiful creek running through it, and a city park with 10 RV slips in it.

If I had a chance, I would veto the building permit for any section 8 housing that might ever happen as well, in my town, as it brings in a bad element.

There are good reasons to have building permits.

The problem is what may have started off as a reasonable idea tied to a small fee has turned into a massive bureaucracy ridden fundraiser for the cities/counties/townships and state.

Re: Building Permit: Who came up with this idea?? [Re: Canvasback2] #6544252
05/26/19 11:04 AM
05/26/19 11:04 AM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
It's not much of a fundraiser here, there are maybe 2 permits per year. The main reason is for oversight.

This is not a conspiracy, and the administration of the permit, the little bit of time spent to look at the surrounding area, identify conflicts, or issues, and do any research, falls upon the city clerk, and is over and above the normal work day, so...there is a slight cost of administration that most folks don't see, or expect to be given to them for nothing.

I once asked these same questions before I became involved in city government.

I believe everybody should serve on a city or county board, or other board for which the job is thankless at times, so that they can speak with authority from that perspective.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread