No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: joepennanti] #6544966
05/27/19 02:03 PM
05/27/19 02:03 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
The main reason I feel as to why the tribal members are doing this is someone is giving them money to do so.
I've either lived or worked on 3 different reservations and know many tribal members who could care less one way or another is the general consensus. I've noticed on more than one occasion where tribal members will and have shot whatever animal that they run across then if it's convenient they may take all or parts to be eaten.
A friend of mine was working for his uncle keeping a eye on the herd of cows up on the big horn mtns when he seen a grizzly bear with a number spray painted on it's side across the canyon from where he sat.
His stock dog took off for camp with him & his horse weren't far behind, rumor has it that the bear got shot not long afterward.

Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: joepennanti] #6545030
05/27/19 04:00 PM
05/27/19 04:00 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
You nailed it on the head, Allan.........and not just one rez in one state .

Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: joepennanti] #6545032
05/27/19 04:07 PM
05/27/19 04:07 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
We lived 30-40 minutes drive from a big Res in Wyoming for 13 years and outfitted on the forest all around it. Most tribal members are not nature's spiritual caregivers like Tribal leaders like to promote themselves as. A LOT of elk, big deer, and sheep laying around on the ground missing heads, every year. And they were brought to my friend the local taxidermist by, guess who?

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 05/27/19 04:09 PM.
Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: wy.wolfer] #6545054
05/27/19 05:04 PM
05/27/19 05:04 PM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
We lived 30-40 minutes drive from a big Res in Wyoming for 13 years and outfitted on the forest all around it. Most tribal members are not nature's spiritual caregivers like Tribal leaders like to promote themselves as. A LOT of elk, big deer, and sheep laying around on the ground missing heads, every year. And they were brought to my friend the local taxidermist by, guess who?

This. And the Rez Indians here are no different.
The whole sacred bear thing is nonsense. I have a distant relative who's name was given for the number of bears he killed. For those brave enough with a stick bow and or lance to hunt them it was a major top accomplishment. To those who didn't they were sacred in their ferocity. Same can be said for Wolves, mountain lions etc.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: joepennanti] #6545060
05/27/19 05:12 PM
05/27/19 05:12 PM
wyoming
C
crowheart Offline
trapper
crowheart  Offline
trapper
C

wyoming
I think every state and Rez needs my share of the Grizzly bears and will throw in a few wuff's also!!

Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: joepennanti] #6545067
05/27/19 05:31 PM
05/27/19 05:31 PM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
The management of game animals is a state issue. There is merit to a federal endangered species list, however standards should be set and agreed upon legally for delisting (hasn't seemed to work with all the court cases). We have only ourselves to blame for this. We have not empowered state legislatures to work against federal government standards that our obtuse at best and make no sense for individual states to manage.

To a person ignorant of nature, his country stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art with their faces turned to the wall
Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: joepennanti] #6545073
05/27/19 05:43 PM
05/27/19 05:43 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
To answer your question about the spray painted number Joe it was a problem bear possibly from Yellowstone national park.
Years ago while elk hunting near Red Lodge Mt I thought I had heard some rocks rolling or something similar it was a faint distant thing, long story short it was a grizzly hunting pika's or maybe rockchucks and throwing rocks out of the way in a rock slide a long way off from where I was sitting.

When I left for home I called the game warden in Red Lodge to let him know how I did and what I had seen, he all but called me a liar until I reminded him I know the difference between a grizzly and a black bear.
Wywolfer, I agree with you I cant tell you how many elk legs I've seen get brought in or elk that were killed by " flock shooting" or pull off the interstate or into a reservation you no longer can pick up the aluminum cans it's against federal law......m because they are ancient Indian artifacts ha ha !

Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: joepennanti] #6545719
05/28/19 07:20 PM
05/28/19 07:20 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
No,I kill animals for profit like all the other commercial hunter/trappers.
My religion is not animalistic.
Not all Native people are traditional,but a lot are.More have been assimilated to a greater extent in the States than here.

Last edited by Boco; 05/28/19 07:38 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Grizzlies expand into farmland, attack livestock [Re: joepennanti] #6545739
05/28/19 07:56 PM
05/28/19 07:56 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
No grizzly in the Big Horns and any they move have collars so they can track them and keep count of them for harvest data. Also how long do you think a spray painted number would last on a bear. The bears are all managed by an inter agency group and any that are caught are ear tagged and collared. I guess I would have to call BS on the sighting. I goes around every year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread