No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Bad Boss?? #6545855
05/28/19 10:47 PM
05/28/19 10:47 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
As most know, about two months ago I turned down a lieutenant position because the money didn't equal the headache. Well instead got a newbie with 10 months experience. She has a my way or the highway attitude.
WE already have had a heart to heart talk when she threatened me with writeup from hearsay . She has several spies as I call them throughout the workplace who call her at the slightest thing.
All the inquires have been disputed and I have mentioned about getting the facts first and then proceed.
So, since our heart to heart talk, she calls on others to pass info onto me and will avoid contact if possible. She is in way over her head and she now realizes that and the money isn't enough.t
Also, last month I was was involved in a shooting we had to shoot a perp who had a gun. One officer shot and the suspect as well. Both are fine and he's off to prison in due time. It seems there is some jealousy towards me about getting kudos for a job will done.
One thing is for sure, she has been nicer the last few times we pass each other, but it would be nice to be informed in the proper manner. As always, I document everything and cover my six.
I like my job and as a shift supervisor I feel like I make a positive impact and have been told by staff as well. Thanks for hearing me out. Sarge

Last edited by SGT. C; 05/28/19 10:49 PM.

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6545874
05/28/19 11:48 PM
05/28/19 11:48 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Awe man that stinks the new boss is like that. Keep documenting. I'm glad you and your employees are ok from the shooting. I am sure she's nicer now that you aren't afraid to use force if need be.
I've learned in the past with bosses like that 2 things will happen 1) she won't last long or 2) she'll drive out the good staff like you and others.

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6545895
05/29/19 01:14 AM
05/29/19 01:14 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Some people are leaders and some are not. Your new LT undoubtably had the gumption to step up and give it a go. You should use your experience to help her if possible, being you didnt step up to the plate and share your experience thru leadership.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6545899
05/29/19 01:51 AM
05/29/19 01:51 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Some people are leaders and some are not. Your new LT undoubtably had the gumption to step up and give it a go. You should use your experience to help her if possible, being you didnt step up to the plate and share your experience thru leadership.

Much milder than my version, but makes a point if you read it carefully.

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: tjm] #6545906
05/29/19 04:58 AM
05/29/19 04:58 AM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina

Originally Posted by tjm

Much milder than my version, but makes a point if you read it carefully.

One can always count on you two do judge before knowing the facts. I have earned my experience and its not free nor does it come cheap. Kudus for her trying. Some folks have to learn the hard way when your taking on too much. The job is worth more then what the dept is willing to pay.
Respect is a two way street, want my experience and know how. Then plan on listening and learning from someone who knows. Also, don't need a lecture about leadership. I have commanded an Infantry squad and now in charge of an entire shift.
Also, would you have taken the job and all the headache that comes with it for $1.30 more hour? I think not. Sarge

Last edited by SGT. C; 05/29/19 05:21 AM.

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: adam m] #6545914
05/29/19 05:40 AM
05/29/19 05:40 AM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Originally Posted by adam m
Awe man that stinks the new boss is like that. Keep documenting. I'm glad you and your employees are ok from the shooting. I am sure she's nicer now that you aren't afraid to use force if need be.
I've learned in the past with bosses like that 2 things will happen 1) she won't last long or 2) she'll drive out the good staff like you and others.

Hello Adam, I'm too stubborn to quit or get ran off. I have been through 2 Captains and 2 Lt's. Most only last 3-4 years tops. Most leave for higher pay and or burnout.
Like stated in my earlier post, I have earned and did my time. So therefore, I expect to be compensated for it. Its not free. Now if some folks from Ga and Mo want to work cheap, then who am I to stop them. Plus taking the job would have cut into my ADC business. If I were to take it, I need to make up the difference with more pay and vacation time. Time will tell. Sarge

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6545916
05/29/19 05:46 AM
05/29/19 05:46 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
sounds like your beef is more with the Department...

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546026
05/29/19 10:58 AM
05/29/19 10:58 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

No part of my statement is "judging". My statement is based entirely on what you posted and what I read. Sometimes responses to what we post on a public forum are not what we want. I dont know your situation or your creds and wish you the best of luck. Maybe your close to retirement b4 she runs you off.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546056
05/29/19 12:22 PM
05/29/19 12:22 PM
South Carolina
T
Tom cat Offline
trapper
Tom cat  Offline
trapper
T

South Carolina
it may be sarge that she’s trying to figure out her boundaries, as long as covering your 6, give her enough rope and see what happens.

Sugarcreektrapping@gmail.com
Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546077
05/29/19 12:57 PM
05/29/19 12:57 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
The responsibilities may not have been worth the money or the promotion for you but then if you would have taken the position she would not be there. If it only you that are having serious issues with her command and leadership that is one thing but if the unit is suffering then some of the demise of the unit falls on your not wanting to take on more leadership responsibilities. As in many cases it is always much easier to complain about others than to be the one that people complain about. You made a career choice now you need to deal with it the best you can.

Bryce

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546171
05/29/19 06:00 PM
05/29/19 06:00 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Thanks for all the replies. I was presented today for my actions and leadership for the shooting last month. I recieved the dept meritorious award. Only 2 have ever been awarded in dept history.
It was presented by the colonel and captain.
I will continue to do my job which is to protect. Then just maybe i will take a promotion when another opens. It has to be right for my family and myself. My officers know i have their backs and that means a lot to me. Sarge

Last edited by SGT. C; 05/29/19 06:03 PM.

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546174
05/29/19 06:19 PM
05/29/19 06:19 PM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline
trapper
D

West Tennessee
You were there when she hired on and when she quits or gets canned, you'll still be there. I have seen it and been through it many times.

Rickey

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546176
05/29/19 06:22 PM
05/29/19 06:22 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
I got one of those. Its my 3rd bad boss. Each time I just put my head down and do my work and try to let my work speak for its self. So far it has always worked its way out.

Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546249
05/29/19 09:59 PM
05/29/19 09:59 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Bad or inexperienced bosses need straightened out forthwith.
I had a young fellow as a supervisor once.When he needed a job done,the first time he came to me,he started telling me how to do each procedure step by step.
I told him-"come to the back of the truck for a second I need to talk with you in private"
When away from the rest of the crew,I told him-"Listen snotface.you have 5 years experience,I have 30.You don't need to tell me how to do my job,you just need to tell me what you want done,and it will be done.Do that with me and all other seasoned Foremen and you will get along just fine,and maybe even climb the ladder".
Never had a problem with the young fellow after that,in fact he turned out to be a fairly good supervisor.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546422
05/30/19 08:15 AM
05/30/19 08:15 AM
South Carolina
T
Tom cat Offline
trapper
Tom cat  Offline
trapper
T

South Carolina
Congratulations on the reward sarge!!

Sugarcreektrapping@gmail.com
Re: Bad Boss?? [Re: SGT. C] #6546431
05/30/19 08:35 AM
05/30/19 08:35 AM
Cheyenne Wyoming
C
Castormound Offline
trapper
Castormound  Offline
trapper
C

Cheyenne Wyoming
Help her be a better leader. This post describes new 2nd lieutenants in the military to a tee. Almost all come to realize they need the experienced peoples "input" to get better and be effective.

Antelope, the original fast food!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread