No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Cameron Kelsey] #6547973
06/02/19 06:16 AM
06/02/19 06:16 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by Cameron Kelsey
Meaning no disrespect to the old Navy vets on here, but I will offer up the Navy has changed a lot over the years. I find it hard to believe the changes I have seen in just the last 24 years I have been serving. I can't imagine how things differ from the 80's, 70's, etc.

Nowadays most recruiters are not struggling to make goal. Waiting lists are long, especially for certain ratings. I don't doubt that MA wasn't available when he signed up. Things ebb and flow. One of the Chiefs that works for me just came from recruiting duty about 9 months ago. He can answer about any recruiting question your son might have.

I think your son did just fine. He will come into the Navy as an undesignated Deck Seaman. I will admit not the most glorious of jobs, but he will be in the Navy serving his country and seeing the world. Something most kids his age won't be able to say. Coming out of boot camp and a brief apprentice training, he will go to sea and work for the Boatswains Mates in deck department. Yes it will be hard work, but the beauty of that program is your son will be able to observe the different ratings and take his time to decide exactly what he wants to do. You say he wants to be an MA, but I would encourage him to keep an open mind as he just may stumble across something he never even considered. Submarine duty was great for me during my enlisted years, and I would encourage your son at least look at that option. Great opportunities in that community and advancement is usually pretty good.

Do not hesitate to reach out to me if you or your son has any questions. I will give you honest feedback on the Navy and what to expect. The Navy is full of opportunity and I am excited for your son. Tell him I wish him the best of luck and I look forward to seeing him in the fleet!

No disrespect sir, but scrubbing decks, chipping paint, and repainting probably isn’t what the young man is looking for over the next 4 years. If he has it made up in his mind that he wants to be an MA then shouldn’t he be an MA? Typical speech, lol. Just come on aboard, we’ll put you where you can decide what you want to do in 4 years. Just because if it’s full now, it won’t be full then. And after 4 years the young man will say the heck with the Navy and get out with no desirable skill set.

To the OP, if he’s in it for life and has that made up in his mind that he is, then it’s possible what the Warrant is saying could very well happen. But then again, that’s 4 years of no fun whatsoever. Heck, pick something to go in as, just don’t go undesignated!

Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Wanna Be] #6548014
06/02/19 08:46 AM
06/02/19 08:46 AM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Originally Posted by Cameron Kelsey
Meaning no disrespect to the old Navy vets on here, but I will offer up the Navy has changed a lot over the years. I find it hard to believe the changes I have seen in just the last 24 years I have been serving. I can't imagine how things differ from the 80's, 70's, etc.

Nowadays most recruiters are not struggling to make goal. Waiting lists are long, especially for certain ratings. I don't doubt that MA wasn't available when he signed up. Things ebb and flow. One of the Chiefs that works for me just came from recruiting duty about 9 months ago. He can answer about any recruiting question your son might have.
Appre
I think your son did just fine. He will come into the Navy as an undesignated Deck Seaman. I will admit not the most glorious of jobs, but he will be in the Navy serving his country and seeing the world. Something most kids his age won't be able to say. Coming out of boot camp and a brief apprentice training, he will go to sea and work for the Boatswains Mates in deck department. Yes it will be hard work, but the beauty of that program is your son will be able to observe the different ratings and take his time to decide exactly what he wants to do. You say he wants to be an MA, but I would encourage him to keep an open mind as he just may stumble across something he never even considered. Submarine duty was great for me during my enlisted years, and I would encourage your son at least look at that option. Great opportunities in that community and advancement is usually pretty good.

Do not hesitate to reach out to me if you or your son has any questions. I will give you honest feedback on the Navy and what to expect. The Navy is full of opportunity and I am excited for your son. Tell him I wish him the best of luck and I look forward to seeing him in the fleet!

No disrespect sir, but scrubbing decks, chipping paint, and repainting probably isn’t what the young man is looking for over the next 4 years. If he has it made up in his mind that he wants to be an MA then shouldn’t he be an MA? Typical speech, lol. Just come on aboard, we’ll put you where you can decide what you want to do in 4 years. Just because if it’s full now, it won’t be full then. And after 4 years the young man will say the heck with the Navy and get out with no desirable skill set.

To the OP, if he’s in it for life and has that made up in his mind that he is, then it’s possible what the Warrant is saying could very well happen. But then again, that’s 4 years of no fun whatsoever. Heck, pick something to go in as, just don’t go undesignated!

He shouldn't spend an entire enlistment in deck department, unless he strikes Boatswains Mate. Some years back the Navy recognized the undesignated program had its share of flaws and revamped it to the current Professional Apprenticeship Career Training (PACT) program. Not perfect, but overall it seems an improvement. Nowadays the Navy monitors Sailors in the PACT program and pushes to ensure they are offered chances at designation within their first two years of enlistment.

Again, being a PACT Sailor is hard work, and he will undoubtedly dislike some of what he does. But let's face it, people in all jobs and paygrades dislike parts of their job. That being said, if a PACT Sailor stays out of trouble they should have a rating in two years. There is certainly light at the end of the tunnel.

I do agree that getting a school and designation out of boot camp is certainly a good thing, but again being a PACT sailor isn't the end of the world either. Thousands of Sailors have started off undesignated and gone on to very productive careers. BTW the current Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON) started his career as an undesignated airman in 1988.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Paul Rhodes] #6548016
06/02/19 08:51 AM
06/02/19 08:51 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Online content

trapper
330-Trapper  Online Content

trapper

Minnesota
Congratulations to Him and You!!!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Paul Rhodes] #6548290
06/02/19 06:52 PM
06/02/19 06:52 PM
Louisiana
P
Paul Rhodes Offline OP
trapper
Paul Rhodes  Offline OP
trapper
P

Louisiana
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advice. I haven't tried to influence him much in his decision about the Navy, because I know he's a lot like me (when his mind is made up it's made up).
Me and his Mom have prayed a lot about it and Carson has also. I just try to be encouraging and supportive of him. I also don't mind him starting at the bottom and working his way up in the Navy or anything else he does.

Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Paul Rhodes] #6548320
06/02/19 07:25 PM
06/02/19 07:25 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
Paul, congratulate the kid for us! If he needs anything (and I mean anything). Pm me and it will be there the next day. We have one in the Army (new recruit as of last year, May, graduated) and a new Marine, September, last year. God Bless our kids.

jim
Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Paul Rhodes] #6548322
06/02/19 07:27 PM
06/02/19 07:27 PM
ohio
J
jctunnelrat Offline
trapper
jctunnelrat  Offline
trapper
J

ohio
I say kids, but they're actually grand kids.

jim
Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: jctunnelrat] #6548368
06/02/19 08:38 PM
06/02/19 08:38 PM
MI
T
trappingthomas Offline
trapper
trappingthomas  Offline
trapper
T

MI
Congratulations to the young man! I traveled the east coast in my childhood as my dad served this country in the Navy. May not have liked it at times then but appreciate the experience now that I am older. Thank him for his service!

Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Paul Rhodes] #6548396
06/02/19 09:12 PM
06/02/19 09:12 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Congrats ! And when he’s 40 ...he can retire from the Navy with a pension...and try something else. My dad retired from the Navy at 40.... collected his pension until he died...and my mother still gets a check from his pension. Not a bad deal. Some guys join the Fire Department after the Navy ...and collect another pension and SS.....

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Paul Rhodes] #6548413
06/02/19 09:48 PM
06/02/19 09:48 PM
CT
Big George W Offline
trapper
Big George W  Offline
trapper

CT
Nice !!
My dream back in 1982 was to join the U.S. Navy, and get stationed on a carrier where I could be a jet mechanic... but a bad ticker [heart murmur...] kept me out.
So, I ended up going to aviation school and getting my A&P and been working on military helicoptors ever since [1987...]
May your son serve our great nation well.
Congrats.... !!

Respect,
Big George + Loki the Dog.....
East Derby, CT
CTA [life member], NTA, FTA, FBU
Connecticut Republican Party
Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Paul Rhodes] #6548435
06/02/19 10:22 PM
06/02/19 10:22 PM
Louisiana
P
Paul Rhodes Offline OP
trapper
Paul Rhodes  Offline OP
trapper
P

Louisiana
Thanks Cameron Kelsey and jctunnelrat. If we have any questions or need anything I'll pm y'all.

Re: Son sworn into Navy today [Re: Paul Rhodes] #6548651
06/03/19 10:25 AM
06/03/19 10:25 AM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
He'll have fun ! Sure ,some of it sucks. But lots of fun, too.
Retired MA . I didn't enjoy being an MA until I went to a non-MA unit . Then things became interesting.

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread